Photo

Text to Speech program?

7 replies to this topic

#1 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• 482 posts

Posted Tue Sep 5, 2017 4:41 PM

quick question, just want to find a program that i can run in my FinalGROM that will let me do text to speech with the voice synth, didn't see anything in the dump thread.

#2 blackbox OFFLINE  

blackbox

Star Raider

• 54 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 12:24 PM

TI Extended Basic allows you to use a built in vocabulary but that isn't true text to speech.

To say anything- read a text file say- it may seem bizarre but you need the Terminal Emulator 2 (TE2 or TI-II) module, PHM3035.

Choose and load the module into your FG99 and having selected the module, THEN choose TI Basic, then you can say anything from the command line or a basic program.

You will need the manual, at ftp://ftp.whtech.com/games/Texas%20Instruments/Terminal_Emulator_II_Manual.zip

#3 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,724 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 9:38 PM

Hmm the XB Text to Speech disk can do anything the TE2 cart can do?

#4 blackbox OFFLINE  

blackbox

Star Raider

• 54 posts

Posted Thu Sep 7, 2017 2:40 AM

Hmm the XB Text to Speech disk can do anything the TE2 cart can do?

True, but PHD5076  requires a disk system which the OP didn't mention. You also had to have the  32k ram.  Loading the code and database from the TI disk took quite a wait- over two minutes. And used up some XB program space in memory. Probably faster with todays solid state disk replacements (timing anyone?)

Notes with sample code. on the TI Text to Speech disk at http://www.ninerpedi...=Text-to-Speech

I can't recall anyone selling PHD5076 in the UK?

Using TE2 you opened the device (OPEN) and PRINTed to it, see

http://www.ninerpedi...nal Emulator II

and of course the TE2 manual.

To be a completist perhaps mention should be made of the almost forgotten and barely usable SPEECH EDITOR module (did anyone actually use it?).

And there was the separate but rare  MBX Unit which supported speech without the speech synth- but you couldn't use it for your own speech so that's outside the scope of the original query! 

Stephen

Edited by blackbox, Thu Sep 7, 2017 2:48 AM.

• RXB likes this

#5 VicViper OFFLINE  

VicViper

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 482 posts

Posted Thu Sep 7, 2017 4:01 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!

#6 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,724 posts

Posted Thu Sep 7, 2017 8:23 AM

True, but PHD5076  requires a disk system which the OP didn't mention. You also had to have the  32k ram.  Loading the code and database from the TI disk took quite a wait- over two minutes. And used up some XB program space in memory. Probably faster with todays solid state disk replacements (timing anyone?)

Notes with sample code. on the TI Text to Speech disk at http://www.ninerpedi...=Text-to-Speech

I can't recall anyone selling PHD5076 in the UK?

Using TE2 you opened the device (OPEN) and PRINTed to it, see

http://www.ninerpedi...nal Emulator II

and of course the TE2 manual.

To be a completist perhaps mention should be made of the almost forgotten and barely usable SPEECH EDITOR module (did anyone actually use it?).

And there was the separate but rare  MBX Unit which supported speech without the speech synth- but you couldn't use it for your own speech so that's outside the scope of the original query! 

Stephen

Personally I have a SCSI card with 2 Hard Drives so I edited it to run from WDS1.SE.SPEAK

This loads a file that calls a file I made using RXB copy of the Lower 8K into RAM, then runs the XB program.

#7 sparkdrummer ONLINE  

sparkdrummer

Dragonstomper

• 719 posts
  • Status? I don't need no stinkin' status!

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 9:24 AM

Attached File  TEXTSPEECH.DSK   90KB   7 downloads

Text to Speech, runs out of Extended Basic - Requires 32k and Speech Synthesizer.

PHRASE_OLD - Original XB program that loads in DF/80 Assembly programs - load time over 1 minute.

PHRASE_NEW - Using the fantastic SYSTEX by Barry Boone - load time 10 seconds. 

#8 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,724 posts

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 10:48 AM

attachicon.gifTEXTSPEECH.DSK

Text to Speech, runs out of Extended Basic - Requires 32k and Speech Synthesizer.

PHRASE_OLD - Original XB program that loads in DF/80 Assembly programs - load time over 1 minute.

PHRASE_NEW - Using the fantastic SYSTEX by Barry Boone - load time 10 seconds. 

RXB using CALL BLOAD does it faster then Systex and bonus can load 960K of SAMS also if needed.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users