Photo

Atari Hometax, Medit, and Forms disks—archived?

9 replies to this topic

#1 electronizer OFFLINE  

electronizer

Star Raider

• 85 posts

Posted Tue Sep 5, 2017 10:44 PM

I recently acquired some Atari "Hometax" disks, along with a disk that says "Medit and Forms." Have these programs been archived? I haven't tried reading the disks yet, need to get my 1050 out.

IMG_3175.JPG

IMG_3176.JPG

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3178.JPG

IMG_3179.JPG

#2 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• 696 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 5:22 PM

Hi electronizer!

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!

They are even not listed in the Wiki!!!!!!!!!

Big found! :-)))

Serial => Atari internal eyes only! Not for the public... Have stickers of those!

Would you share this with the community?

It may be the:

Atari Editor CX8105 (maybe replaced by the Atari Program Text Editor?)

the lost to believe one...

https://atariwiki.or...?page=Rarity 10

WOW!

#3 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 6,046 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 5:54 PM

Interesting. It would be great if you could archive them.

Allan

#4 electronizer OFFLINE  

electronizer

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:18 AM

Okay, I tried to copy a few of these disks tonight. I'm probably not using the best method to do this; I'm just using DOS 2.5 on an 800XL with a stock 1050 and the duplicate disk option to copy the disks to blank images on an SD card via SIO2SD.

The copy of "Medit and Forms" seemed to go okay:

Attached File  Medit and Forms.atr   90.02KB   12 downloads

I also found this on archive.org:

The copies of "Hometax (program disk)" and "Hometax (screen disk)" also seemed to go okay:

Attached File  Hometax Program Disk.atr   90.02KB   13 downloads

Attached File  Hometax Screen Disk.atr   90.02KB   13 downloads

However, I am not able to run either of these disks. The Hometax Program Disk beeps for a while, then freezes on an empty screen. The Hometax Screen Disk just gives boot errors.

I was unable to copy the "Hometax Demo" disk. I eventually get an error 144. I did try to boot this disk directly in my 1050; it beeped for a while and eventually gave a blank screen. When the disk stopped booting, a screeching sound started coming out of the speaker that sounded like a fax machine transferring data.

I did cover up the write protect notches on all of the original disks, just to make sure I didn't accidentally write over them. I also have an extra demo disk, and original copies of the program and screen disks that I haven't touched yet. Anyone have any advice for what to try next?

#5 David_P ONLINE  

David_P

Dragonstomper

• 812 posts

Posted Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:43 AM

Could be an OS issue, expecting the 800 OS, or potentially a BASIC issue...

#6 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,259 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 AM

The Hometax program disk loads up in Altirra with "400/800" set as system type and stock 1050 drive emulation. It gives you a welcome message and tells you to insert the Screen disk. When you do, it beeps for awhile and then Altirra crashes; the emulated system displays "Bad screen number".

HomeTax.PNG

HomeTaxError.PNG

#7 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 6,046 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:21 AM

Okay, I tried to copy a few of these disks tonight. I'm probably not using the best method to do this; I'm just using DOS 2.5 on an 800XL with a stock 1050 and the duplicate disk option to copy the disks to blank images on an SD card via SIO2SD.

The copy of "Medit and Forms" seemed to go okay:

attachicon.gifMedit and Forms.atr

I also found this on archive.org:

The copies of "Hometax (program disk)" and "Hometax (screen disk)" also seemed to go okay:

However, I am not able to run either of these disks. The Hometax Program Disk beeps for a while, then freezes on an empty screen. The Hometax Screen Disk just gives boot errors.

I was unable to copy the "Hometax Demo" disk. I eventually get an error 144. I did try to boot this disk directly in my 1050; it beeped for a while and eventually gave a blank screen. When the disk stopped booting, a screeching sound started coming out of the speaker that sounded like a fax machine transferring data.

I did cover up the write protect notches on all of the original disks, just to make sure I didn't accidentally write over them. I also have an extra demo disk, and original copies of the program and screen disks that I haven't touched yet. Anyone have any advice for what to try next?

There are a few people here that are good at recovering disks that have errors. Plus the few of us that have a Kryoflux could try copying it.

Allan

#8 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• 696 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:58 PM

Dam' right! :-)

Further, founds like that should never leave the country, due to x-ray at the customs. A few days ago a good soul could save data, while altering the disk speed just on some special sectors...

My biggest worries are about CX401-3, of course. Irmy at owner of the box and we have game over....

#9 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• 696 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:26 PM

Even the VTOCs do look strange for official disks...

Hometax Program Disk.jpg

Hometax Screen Disk.jpg

Medit and Forms_.jpg

Attached File  FORMS.BAS.txt   15.26KB   5 downloads

Edited by luckybuck, Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 PM.

#10 electronizer OFFLINE  

electronizer

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 85 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:13 AM

@luckybuck yes, I noticed the strange directory listings! Where it says "#MEDIT & FORMS 42" (42 is the serial number printed on the disk label), I was wondering how they did that...

Busy week but I'm hoping to have time to try again soon. Will probably clean the head on my 1050 and see if I can copy the backup of the screen disk.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users