Photo

UberGROM magic and the possibilities of the future...

12 replies to this topic

#1 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• 10,362 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 12:46 PM

The future of the WiFi UberGROM could take so many different paths...

1) TIMXT (yeah that's a no brainer)

From what I understand something like this could be available within a year.

2) A BBS on a chip!

Would still need a memory storage device  (not so for a Wifi capable FinalGROM V2!)    ;)

3) A dedicated (real-time) TI-User's only 'Twitter-like' network.

All TI'ers with real-iron could keep 24/7 contact on their own private network, while giving

the old computer something to do. 

#2 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 12:50 PM

Where do I find info on this Wi-Fi UberGROM.

#3 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,469 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 12:57 PM

Where do I find info on this Wi-Fi UberGROM.

Its still in the alpha stages when that changes I'll see about selling kits

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#4 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 1:09 PM

That will be great, but I would like to know more about what's involved. Is it an add on to the UberGROM or another separate unit that goes where?

#5 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,469 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 4:35 PM

That will be great, but I would like to know more about what's involved. Is it an add on to the UberGROM or another separate unit that goes where?

ubergrom has an on-board uart, hooks to a wifi modem device via a 5v to 3.3v board and then wifi to internet.. so far there's no released term that supports the uart in the uber, there's no real standard board for inbetween and the wifi device has a crappy firmware.. There is a better device made but he is not making any more of them at this point..

Greg

#6 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 4:46 PM

ubergrom has an on-board uart, hooks to a wifi modem device via a 5v to 3.3v board and then wifi to internet..
so far there's no released term that supports the uart in the uber, there's no real standard board for
inbetween and the wifi device has a crappy firmware.. There is a better device made but he is not making any
more of them at this point..

Greg

Thanks this helps a lot. I don't guess there's any time-frame for a solution?

#7 InsaneMultitasker OFFLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,691 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 6:06 PM

The ubergrom UART is nothing new, just underutilized IMHO.

The UART can be connected to either a wired connection or a wireless (wifi) connection, provided the two devices are linked with the right signal levels.  My ubergrom is connected to a PC DB9 serial port so that I can use either TCPSER (for BBS connections) or the HDX server (to transfer files). 

A wifi device is great but as Greg points out, the best known device is currently unavailable.  I suppose there are other wifi modems that could be explored.

1) TIMXT (yeah that's a no brainer)

From what I understand something like this could be available within a year.

TIMXT works just fine with the ubergrom UART.  You may have missed that thread. ;)   There are a few testers and if they want to share, I have no problems with that. The test copy is hard-coded to one baud rate and only works with the ubergrom UART.   When real life moves out of the way, I'll release the version with UART/baud rate selection and PETSCII/ANSI support. 

#8 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 6:30 PM

Oh well, I guess we'll wait for a positive response to this topic, some time in the future.

#9 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,936 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 2:33 PM

Oh well, I guess we'll wait for a positive response to this topic, some time in the future.

The device Greg is referring to that has a much better firmware is the WiFi232 by Paul Rickards.  He is taking a break from building right now.

I did make a device based on a very early version of his firmware and it should work with the UberGrom UART.  Sadly my system is dismantled currently so i cannot test.  (Thanks to hurricane Harvey!).

You can read my buld instructions for the 'DIY ESP8266 WiFi Modem' in my 'Volume 3 No 2' SHIFT838 Newsletter under 2017 tab within the Newsletters page.  It's a pretty easy build.

HERE

I think it's on page 15 or 16 of the Newsletter.

Edited by Shift838, Fri Sep 8, 2017 2:34 PM.

#10 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 4:44 PM

The device Greg is referring to that has a much better firmware is the WiFi232 by Paul Rickards.  He is taking a break from building right now.

I did make a device based on a very early version of his firmware and it should work with the UberGrom UART.  Sadly my system is dismantled currently so i cannot test.  (Thanks to hurricane Harvey!).

You can read my buld instructions for the 'DIY ESP8266 WiFi Modem' in my 'Volume 3 No 2' SHIFT838 Newsletter under 2017 tab within the Newsletters page.  It's a pretty easy build.

HERE

Obviously, after scanning your build instructions, not something I can do any time soon. Way too busy
getting my TI/Geneve systems up and going, in addition to changing my TI support PC operating system
from Windows 10. Which was going from bad to much worse quickly. Not too mention that I just got my
FinalGROM99 cart a few days ago. The FG99 case should arrive any day now.

#11 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 10,362 posts

Posted Sat Sep 9, 2017 6:44 PM

... I just got my FinalGROM99 cart a few days ago. The FG99 case should arrive any day now.

Ooooh yeah!  You're gonna L :lust: VE that thing!  

#12 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,469 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:09 AM

HERE

yeah I'm about half way through this build need to find my other parts around here (just moved, no idea where that box went) and should have something built here this week depending on free time. I'm also planning an ubergrom setup with the same device.

Greg

#13 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:52 AM

Ooooh yeah!  You're gonna L :lust: VE that thing!

I certainly hope so. I also hope future upgrade will provide GROM/GRAM1-2 over ride, so it can completely
replace my ailing MG 80K GramKracker.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users