WIP work in progress 2600 Nyan Cat

102 replies to this topic

#101 JeremiahK OFFLINE  

JeremiahK

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:28 AM

I figured it out! The way I have the controls implemented made it a bit tricky, but it works perfectly now.
Every frame, it checks for a centered joystick. If that case is true, it sets the control bit, if not, it leaves it. Only when the cat changes rows is the control bit cleared.
I also fixed the cat tart, which was having the top scanline clipped off on all rows but the bottom. I won't post the bin, but I do have it on GitHub if you want to try it out.

#102 vidak OFFLINE  

vidak

Moonsweeper

• 424 posts

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:43 PM

noice!!!

#103 JeremiahK OFFLINE  

JeremiahK

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 162 posts

Posted Mon Jun 4, 2018 9:08 PM

Big update today!

I am in the process of re-organizing the project into banks, and since I was tired of working on the game itself, I decided to take a try at coding the menu.  I want the menu to have a nice big animated Nyan Cat rendered as accurately as possible.  Above the cat will be displayed the players' scores, alternating between player 1 and player 2, and below the cat will be a scrollable menu.  Each player will be able to select a cat color, and the cat will be colored according to which player's score is being displayed.  (NTSC only for now, but for anyone wondering, I am intending on making this game truly PAL/50 compatible with the flip of a switch, including gameplay timing.)

Today, after weeks of many many re-writes, I finally finished the kernel for drawing the cat.  Well, pretty much.  I just have to work on the rainbow a bit so it doesn't bounce with the cat, and there are a couple minor touch-ups to do, but the hardest part is done.  I am quite literally pushing the Atari to the edge of the abyss with this kernel, and all the usable objects are needed (Press Alt + comma in Stella to see how I am using the objects).  It's technically not pixel-perfect, I rounded out the paws because it saves a lot of ROM and there are two very minor but practically undetectable flaws.

The code is not uploaded to github yet, but I will upload it as soon as I add my old code to the new code in a better structured way.  Then I think I'll work on the gameplay again, since this long break has given me ideas of how to implement the random object generation.

The .bin is attached!  I cut it to 4K since I am only using 1 bank for this.

Edit: You can use the COLOR/BW switch to pause the animation

Attached Files

Edited by JeremiahK, Tue Jun 5, 2018 2:51 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WIP, work in progress, 2600, Nyan Cat

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users