Photo

2017 Portland Retro Gaming Expo, October 20-22, 2017

42 replies to this topic

#26 FroggoGamer OFFLINE  

FroggoGamer

Space Invader

• 32 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:50 PM

This was my first visit to the PGRE and it was so huge, I didn't get to see everything.

I did get Space Cactus Canyon, draconian, and LEN at the AtariAge booth and some homebrew from the competition. I did find some decent Atari deals to add to my collection, of course no extremely rare games but I did get some good uncommon games for my collection, as well as some games for other systems, including my vita (Limited Run Games had some leftovers on a game I missed out on. Nice.)

I personally felt like I died and went to video game heaven. My only regret is I only had 8 hours to stay. There was just so much to see and so many game enthusiasts to speak to, I missed out on lots of stuff.

I went in with a $300 budget. Well, I ended up spending twice that. But it was worth it. I regret I didn't get to meet SHE but the line was too long and I had to get back to the bus station.

#27 FroggoGamer OFFLINE  

FroggoGamer

Space Invader

• 32 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:54 PM

I don't see how to edit my comment on my phone, I meant HSW, not SHE. Who the hell programs Android spell check?

#28 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,271 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:54 PM

Dang I need someone to get me one nes homebrew since I could not attend the show , any takers  :-D

#29 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

Stargunner

• 1,861 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:23 PM

This was also my first PRGE, and it was great!  I was able to catch up with some familiar faces and met several new ones.  I purchased Draconian and Super Cobra Arcade for the Atari 2600, Blaster for the Atari 5200 and Jr. Pac-Man and Oregon Bound for the Intellivision. 

I was also able to get the following items autographed. Thank you all for not only signing my items, but spending some time just shooting the breeze. :)

Raiders.JPG    Halo 2600.JPG    Draconian.JPG

Ladybug Collectors.JPG    Scramble.JPG    Super Cobra Arcade.JPG

#30 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 32,698 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:33 PM

ALL THOSE BEAUTIFUL POSTERS & BOXES, RUINED! :mad:

J/K, cool you had fun.

#31 Arenafoot ONLINE  

Arenafoot

Dragonstomper

• 814 posts
  • videogamestores.net/

Posted Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 AM

This was also my first PRGE, and it was great!  I was able to catch up with some familiar faces and met several new ones.  I purchased Draconian and Super Cobra Arcade for the Atari 2600, Blaster for the Atari 5200 and Jr. Pac-Man and Oregon Bound for the Intellivision. 

I was also able to get the following items autographed. Thank you all for not only signing my items, but spending some time just shooting the breeze. :)

attachicon.gifLadybug Collectors.JPG  

I was about to say, "I thought Lady Bug LE was only 100 copies", then I realized you brought it with you to Portland. Sweet collection you have there!

#32 FroggoGamer OFFLINE  

FroggoGamer

Space Invader

• 32 posts

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:22 AM

Here is my haul. Next time I get a chance to go, I have to get a weekend pass.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1508648958054.jpg
  • 1508648946750.jpg

#33 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

Stargunner

• 1,861 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:50 AM

Very nice!

#34 Gemintronic OFFLINE  

Gemintronic

Jason S. - Lead Developer & CEO

• 8,851 posts

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:54 AM

Looks like you snatched up a copy of Game Panic - something I developed in collaboration with John Hancock.  Nice!

Hope you enjoy it =)

#35 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

Stargunner

• 1,861 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 AM

I also had my Art of Atari book signed.  -Thanks Tim. :)

BTW, the AtariAge booth was awesome.  Many thanks to Al for attending PRGE and making all of these great games available on-site.

Case.JPG    book.JPG

#36 S1500 OFFLINE  

S1500

River Patroller

• 4,568 posts

Posted Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:43 AM

I had a blast. Albert had the best booth there, and I'm not saying that because I'm on AtariAge. There were plenty of new games to play at the AtariAge booth. Lots of banners/posters, etc representing.

The weather was terrible. This prevented me from doing any outside-of-convention exploring(Like QuarterWorld or the former Women & Women First bookstore on Portlandia). 

#37 ForceInfinity OFFLINE  

ForceInfinity

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:55 AM

I finally got to attend that expo, and I must say that it was a surreal experience to finally meet some of the people behind those games that I played so many hours upon.  All were great people in person and as a software engineer, it was really cool to nerd out with David Crane, if only for a couple of minutes.   I ended up finding a Defender 2 cart in the wild, so I snapped it up.  

Yeah, the rain was a bit much, *especially* Saturday night as Portland was getting hit by a pretty good rain storm.

Still all the same, I was glad I was finally able to make it out.  Will be back out for 2018 to be sure!

Edited by ForceInfinity, Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:55 AM.

#38 travelnjones OFFLINE  

travelnjones

Space Invader

• 18 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:11 PM

I bought games and I had them.  Damn I'm stupid and have nearly all the common games.

If you guys liked the retro you may like California Extreme down in the bay area.  Its just a great arcade that is around for one weekend a year.   Much less buying opportunities but it makes it very focused on playing.  http://caextreme.com/

#39 Nathan Strum OFFLINE  

Nathan Strum

Quadrunner

• 7,407 posts
  • Enjoying a sandwich

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:19 PM

I've been meaning to go to CA Extreme for years. Just haven't managed to get up there for it yet.

#40 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 34,083 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:21 PM

I've also wanted to attend California Extreme for some time.  I'll get out there one of these years.  :D

..Al

#41 FroggoGamer OFFLINE  

FroggoGamer

Space Invader

• 32 posts

Posted Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:36 PM

Looks like you snatched up a copy of Game Panic - something I developed in collaboration with John Hancock.  Nice!

Hope you enjoy it =)

I have enjoyed it. I love all my new games. It was an impulse buy but I couldn't resist picking up a copy since it was right there. 

#42 Intymike OFFLINE  

Intymike

River Patroller

• 2,542 posts

Posted Thu Nov 2, 2017 12:27 PM

I did film a walk over the PRGE.

Thank's to all who gave me a warm welcome! It was a great experience!

#43 Wonder007 OFFLINE  

Wonder007

River Patroller

• 2,771 posts
  • There's the truth, and then, there is the TRUTH.

Posted Tue Nov 7, 2017 8:56 PM

I had a great time at the show. Saw old friends, had breakfast with Ron Milner, got some nice items.,.it was totally awesome. The auction was the best one I have ever been to. I applaud the PRGE team for putting together a top notch show. This is definitely one of my highlights of the year. Already looking forward to the next show.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users