Photo

CX-10 Joystick Hex Disc dimensions

27 replies to this topic

#1 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,157 posts

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 9:34 PM

I am going to try and make my own Hex Discs for my cx-10 joysticks.  I can measure the inside of the top with calipers and use some radius gauges to get close to the original dimensions, but I am struggling with how to come up with the thickness of the Discs.  If someone would be so kind as to share the dimensions of the original Hex discs I would greatly appreciate it.  I am planning on making them out of aluminum and then getting them anodized.  After anodizing I am going to do the Atari lettering.  The current ebay prices are $100 per disc, so I think its worth my time. Thanks again for any help!

Attached Thumbnails

• hex-discs-300x196.jpg

#2 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 32,184 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 9:38 PM

What, you want to make repros and sell them on ebay?  I am confused. :?

#3 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Fri Sep 8, 2017 11:50 PM

What, you want to make repros and sell them on ebay?  I am confused. :?

I want some for my own controllers. I'm not sure to many people would be interested in repros. But if I get them to look good and if theirs interest then maybe .

#4 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:45 PM

Bump, if somebody needs to borrow some calipers I will happily mail them to you. I also have quite a collection of micrometers. Nows your chance to finally help someone become rich and famous on ebay . . I'll happily mail a set to any atariage member for the cost of shipping once I get these figured out. And honestly I don't plan on selling these for very much if I decide to.

Edited by adamchevy, Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 PM.

#5 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:33 PM

cf7d1951d60421119141e8d2ae1dbb3a.jpg

A picture of my super nice CX10.

#6 up2knowgood OFFLINE  

up2knowgood

Chopper Commander

• 138 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:32 PM

Put a drinking straw in the indent then mark it where the top of the ridge is. All the CX-10s I have seen have the disk level with that ridge.

Also, I would be interested in a repo disk, my CX-10 is just for display, and not playable.

#7 H454 OFFLINE  

H454

Moonsweeper

• 266 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:57 PM

No love for the sears version?icon_winking.gif

If I had to guess thickness - 22 or 24ga sheet metal.

But I'm just going by the pics on this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/...hYAAOSwc-tY4bGV

#8 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:29 PM

No love for the sears version?icon_winking.gif

If I had to guess thickness - 22 or 24ga sheet metal.
But I'm just going by the pics on this listing:
http://www.ebay.com/...hYAAOSwc-tY4bGV

I really do like the Sears Version, but for some reason having the Word Atari on my controller appeals more to me. I am going to work on the Sears Version as well. Their are a couple controllers for sale on eBay with discs in them. I might pick one of them up if I can let go of $150 for one.

Edited by adamchevy, Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:30 PM.

#9 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:34 PM

Put a drinking straw in the indent then mark it where the top of the ridge is. All the CX-10s I have seen have the disk level with that ridge.

Also, I would be interested in a repo disk, my CX-10 is just for display, and not playable.

That's good to know! I will make sure to get you a set. I'm going to start working on them tomorrow. I think I can make a die to punch them out of aluminum . Or possibly turn them on my 5th axis lathe. I'll probably try turning them first. I have a lot of different types of metals to try. I think I'll try 7075 aluminum and titanium first.

#10 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 32,184 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 PM

Well, since you have the stick, you can just use an inside caliper to measure it yourself. 

Oh, and PRECIOUS....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2399.JPG

#11 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,624 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:45 PM

There was a guy selling repro cx10 disks a few years ago. Was kinda happy to see them gone off the market as they where too close to the originals.

#12 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:44 PM

There was a guy selling repro cx10 disks a few years ago. Was kinda happy to see them gone off the market as they where too close to the originals.

I have been thinking a lot about this. I might do some kind of unique Hex discs instead. Possibly popular arcade game characters or colored lettering to set them apart. I wouldn't like people using them to sell like counterfeits. To me it would be nice to have the space filled with some type of Hex Disc rather than nothing. Definitely something to give some thought.

#13 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 32,184 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:40 PM

Gold colored would be awesome.

#14 phattyboombatty OFFLINE  

phattyboombatty

Stargunner

• 1,099 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:59 PM

As long as you could stamp your initials or business moniker into the discs, they would never be confused as counterfeits. If someone were to file off the letters, this would weaken the metal and be obvious to a collector. This monogram could be stamped into the back of the discs.

#15 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 AM

As long as you could stamp your initials or business moniker into the discs, they would never be confused as counterfeits. If someone were to file off the letters, this would weaken the metal and be obvious to a collector. This monogram could be stamped into the back of the discs.

That's a good idea, I will include something like that on the back. Problem Solved.

#16 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:14 AM

Gold colored would be awesome.

Then I could send a complimentary set to President Trump.

#17 up2knowgood OFFLINE  

up2knowgood

Chopper Commander

• 138 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:18 AM

Well, since you have the stick, you can just use an inside caliper to measure it yourself. 

Oh, and PRECIOUS....

Not sure if you meant that to be as sarcastic as it sounds, but if those are all original, how did you get so many?

Edited by up2knowgood, Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:19 AM.

#18 up2knowgood OFFLINE  

up2knowgood

Chopper Commander

• 138 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:22 AM

Then I could send a complimentary set to President Trump.

Hang up on the wall next to the 2016 Electoral College Map. XD

#19 up2knowgood OFFLINE  

up2knowgood

Chopper Commander

• 138 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 AM

That's a good idea, I will include something like that on the back. Problem Solved.

100% support. Maybe do customs in the future too. Like initials or the Fuji maybe.

#20 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:49 AM

Not sure if you meant that to be as sarcastic as it sounds, but if those are all original, how did you get so many?

I assume it's because he's been an Atari collector for a long time. There's probably quite a few people on the forums that have some. If CX10's were sold with every Heavy Sixer then discs would have been plentiful at some point.

Edited by adamchevy, Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:51 AM.

#21 Atari_Bill OFFLINE  

Atari_Bill

Stargunner

• 1,768 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:18 PM

I assume it's because he's been an Atari collector for a long time. There's probably quite a few people on the forums that have some. If CX10's were sold with every Heavy Sixer then discs would have been plentiful at some point.

Not sure if I would say that. I've been collecting Atari since '91 and in all my years of searching thrifts, garage sales, etc. I've come across exactly one stick with the hex. I don't think they have been common in all my years of searching.

Edited by Atari_Bill, Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:21 PM.

#22 BassGuitari ONLINE  

BassGuitari

Habitual Line Stepper

• 5,884 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 PM

I'm not sure to many people would be interested in repros.

*raises hand*

:)

#23 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:24 PM

Not sure if I would say that. I've been collecting Atari since '91 and in all my years of searching thrifts, garage sales, etc. I've come across exactly one stick with the hex. I don't think they have been common in all my years of searching.

That's good to know. I guess one should never assume unless one really knows.

#24 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Sheriff

• 32,184 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:34 PM

Started collecting in 1999?

#25 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,157 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 PM

Started collecting in 1999?

That's the year I graduated from High School. I wish I would have started collecting in 1999. I was to interested in girls and computers back then. I guess the girls thing never really goes away. It could have been girls and Atari though.

Edited by adamchevy, Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users