Photo

VBXE 2.0 Install 65XE Pal

4 replies to this topic

#1 enito OFFLINE  

enito

Chopper Commander

• 208 posts

Posted Sat Sep 9, 2017 11:35 AM

Hi, i want to install my old purchased sloopy vbxe, in my 65 XE. But i see is a bit diferrent of the ones i see in installation instruction.

Apprenly is 1 bit version, but dont see the Q4 for remove, i know i have to install the crystal in the vbxe. Any can guide me please?

Thx!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1880.jpg
  • IMAG1882.jpg

Edited by enito, Sat Sep 9, 2017 11:41 AM.

#2 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Moonsweeper

• 498 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 AM

To install this model in your XE, you´ve to remove the crystal (Y1) from your XE mainboard and put it on the VBXE PCB (X1).

Then go ahead with the installation of IRQ, CAS_INH and EXTSEL at J3 (VBXE) to the points on your XE described in the manual (see attachment)

The 14 MHz output must connected to Freddy pin 2 coming from pin 3 / J6 (VBXE).

Finally remove these both parts (it´s enough to bend up one side of each part):

65XE_remove_parts.jpg

Important: If your 65XE model hasn´t an ECI port, then EXTSEL might be connected directly to +5V - this can kill the FPGA on VBXE - see attached manual, installation XEGS. There´s explained what to do.

Jurgen

Attached Files

#3 enito OFFLINE  

enito

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 208 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 AM

Hi,

really thx for this excelent explanation!!!!right i remove first diode, and of the right side second diode , and 2 resistor? or only the 1?  In the back side of my vbxe in x1 area, are missing the c24,c25 smd caps, need to be placed the 22pf?

thx!!!

#4 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Moonsweeper

• 498 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:38 PM

The left red circle I marked is L34, this is an inductor (black). The right red marked circle is a resistor with the value of 240 ohms (color rings red-yellow-brown and gold). You can click on the image to enlarge it, I didn´t resize it - to see better what I mean.

Your 65 XE model isn´t equal to the ones in the explanation / manual! This 65 XE mainboard you have was a precessor of the well-known XE mainboards. If you take a look at the bottom side (solder side), you will find the marking "900 XL" on it. And the arrangement of chips are more compatible with a 800 XL mainboard than the standard 800/130 XE mainboards.

#5 enito OFFLINE  

enito

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 208 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:58 PM

Hi i see, right a very special model mine hehe !! and about c24 and c25 missing in my board, necessary? again thx!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users