Quad-Joust

56 replies to this topic

#51 SpiceWare OFFLINE  

SpiceWare

Draconian

• 12,302 posts
  • Medieval Mayhem

Posted Wed Jan 3, 2018 7:25 AM

Heh.  The two gray cords connect to the Atari. The other 4 ports (only 3 of them are connected in this picture) are for the joysticks :-)

:dunce:  was thinking about my PS2's multi-tap adaptor, had forgotten you're using both 2600 joystick ports to implement this :lol:

#52 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Moonsweeper

• 374 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 1:42 PM

After a good night of playtesting joust with my kids, I decided to try adding on another game, this time a combat/tank knockoff.  Having a lot of the 4-player framework in place from joust makes for some pretty fast development....

Awesome!  Maybe you could call this game "Tanks a Lot?"  :-)

#53 Karl G ONLINE  

Karl G

Moonsweeper

• 374 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 1:52 PM

If you are still looking for more ideas for small 4-player game ideas, maybe a Hungry, Hungry Hippos style of game could be fun?  Unlike the board game, perhaps the hippos could turn their heads when trying to chomp the flying food.

#54 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,674 posts

Posted Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:18 PM

Ugh, and tonight's further tests show some weird static/interference on the screen on my Jr when I use the PCB version of the adapter instead of my breadboarded version. Something's different between them. I need to scrounge up another Atari to test though.

hello gauauu

Any progress on the board design and game creation/modification?

PGRE 2018 is fast approaching...I hope to play it again and take it home with me :lust:

#55 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 390 posts

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:34 AM

hello gauauu

Any progress on the board design and game creation/modification?

PGRE 2018 is fast approaching...I hope to play it again and take it home with me :lust:

Thanks for asking! Not a lot of progress right now -- I still haven't found a good solution for the weird flicker issues that it causes. I tried building a similar but slightly-different board design, to see if that would make a difference, but I get the same problem. Just this week I thought of a new idea to try, so hopefully if I get some time, I'll be able to test it out and see.

So hopefully I'll be able to demo again at PRGE (not sure if I'll be there, but I'd like to!) but I'm fairly sure it won't be ready to purchase by then :-(  But feel free to keep nagging me, I'm more motivated when I remember that people are interested!

#56 ledzep OFFLINE  

ledzep

River Patroller

• 3,005 posts

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2018 5:42 PM

Sounds like a cool idea!

As for 4-player games, how about a 4-player Surround/Light Cycle type game?  With better resolution than the LEGO block thickness of Surround, of course.

#57 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 390 posts

Posted Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:14 AM

Sounds like a cool idea!

As for 4-player games, how about a 4-player Surround/Light Cycle type game?  With better resolution than the LEGO block thickness of Surround, of course.

I've thought about that one, although I'm not sure I'm smart enough to come up with a way to do it with better horizontal resolution than surround did.  And I think that the board would get too crowded too quickly with surround-sized walls and 4 players.  But I appreciate the suggestions!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users