New to TI99/4A video mod

13 replies to this topic

#1 repetto74 OFFLINE  

repetto74

Chopper Commander

• 108 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:25 PM

Hi to all,

I am an happy owner of a PAL TI99/4A since today (I am located in Europe) :-). The machine comes with the RF antenna cable with the big RF PAL modulator and the 6 pin DIN video socket output. I can test this with an old CRT TV I still have but I would like to know what are the best video modding options available to increase video output? Composite, S-video? Any tutorial?

Besides that are there also hardware mods available to increase total memory or to improve the machine performance in general?

Sorry I am really a noob with the TI99/4A so trying to sum up what is possible to do. Consider that I do have soldering and basic electronic skills + all tools required for the job :-)

Many thanks,

Rick

:grin:

#2 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,472 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:40 PM

Is that the scart adapter? If so you can use that with hdmi with a cheap box.. if not, the best option is the f18a which is detailed in the "new to the group" faq pinned to the top of the forum

Greg

#3 Sinphaltimus ONLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,932 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:43 PM

Also this - --->>>http://atariage.com/...ces-read-first/

will help you find 90% of the things you maybe looking at or wanting to know about your *NEW* old computer. :) 

And welcome.

#4 repetto74 OFFLINE  

repetto74

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:54 PM

Hi Arcadeshopper,

Nope the RF modulator is not the one with the SCART (PERITEL) output for the french market. I got this from an italian e-bayer and the modulator has been manufactured in Italy also but will need a TV antenna input.

To Sinphaltimus : thanks for the greetings and will read closely the thread :-)

#5 ti99iuc ONLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,192 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:13 PM

Hi to all,

I am an happy owner of a PAL TI99/4A since today (I am located in Europe) :-). The machine comes with the RF antenna cable with the big RF PAL modulator and the 6 pin DIN video socket output. I can test this with an old CRT TV I still have but I would like to know what are the best video modding options available to increase video output? Composite, S-video? Any tutorial?

Besides that are there also hardware mods available to increase total memory or to improve the machine performance in general?

Sorry I am really a noob with the TI99/4A so trying to sum up what is possible to do. Consider that I do have soldering and basic electronic skills + all tools required for the job :-)

Many thanks,

Rick

:grin:

Hello Rick :)

on the Italian User Club website you can read some guides/tutorials for a mod to the PHA 2036/2030

Check out at this link if it can help ;)

http://www.ti99iuc.i...=Mod_and_Tuneed

Edited by ti99iuc, Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 PM.

#6 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• 692 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:21 PM

Best video mod is to fit an F18A to give a VGA output as Greg said above. But if you wanted to stay 'old school' and you have the version of the PAL modulator in a metal case (as opposed to the one in the plastic case), it is possible to get a composite video feed out of it. The attached scan (in German) shows you the basics but you will probably have to do a bit of fiddling to find the right connection points and so on. Instead of fitting a DIN connector as shown, I fed a coaxial cable direct into the case and connected it direct to output of the little video amplifier circuit.

Attached Files

#7 repetto74 OFFLINE  

repetto74

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:39 AM

Hi Stuart

Thanks a lot for the schematic. Actually I have various working 8bit machines I would like to output to the same HD TV and with the best option possible. Wherever an S-video mod was possible it was done (Atari XL, VIC-20), composite is the second option when S-video is not possible (ZX Spectrum). The C64 and the Spectrum 128k are respectively S-video and RGB native.

I am using a video upscaler AV/S-Video to HDMI which gives a really nice conversion to the HDMI TV. A composite mod to the TI99/4A will be a very good result then :-)

#8 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Moonsweeper

• 418 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 AM

I have a modified such modulator, where I get separate sound and video out. I use coaxial connectors for both, one BNC and one of a different type, to easily tell them apart.

My console has 64 K 16-bit wide RAM internally, which is another modification which adds both memory and also speed. All external memory (in the expansion box) is otherwise 8-bit wide.

#9 repetto74 OFFLINE  

repetto74

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:58 AM

Hi Apersson850

Any link for a tutorial explaining how to mod the TI99/4A to 64K ?

#10 jens-eike OFFLINE  

jens-eike

Star Raider

• 71 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 AM

My old LCD-TV (LG 42LF65) took the TI signals on YPbPr input - best possible quality without any modulator!

The RGB circuit in  "Chicago TImes" (ca. 11/1986) is quite easy, only a handful of transistors and passives. That is my favourite, if you have a RGB-capable Scart input.

#11 repetto74 OFFLINE  

repetto74

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:25 AM

Yes the TV can handle RGB as I connected a Spectrum 128k +2 Grey model which comes with a RGB video output through a SCART cable. Any tutorial on how to do this also?

:-D

#12 apersson850 OFFLINE  

apersson850

Moonsweeper

• 418 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:37 AM

Hi Apersson850

Any link for a tutorial explaining how to mod the TI99/4A to 64K ?

There must be some for a similar modification. Probably on WHTech. But not exactly for my modification, as it's my own design.

Normally the similar modification installs 32 K RAM inside the console. But to get it 16 bit wide, you but two 32 K chips in there. I though that was a tad stupid, to leave 32 K unused, so I came up with an additional circuit design, which allows you to page in the other 32 K too, 8 K at a time, so that you can get 64 K contiguous RAM in the machine. Thus you can overwrite ROM and change the operating system too, if you like. My design also allows disabling the internal 32 K normal memory expansion. If you want to. If you do, the CPU will instead see a 32 K RAM expansion in the expansion box, i.e. the normal memory expansion.

So my design allows more than just a memory expansion.

• Fast 32 K RAM expansion internally
  • Another 4 * 8 K RAM can be enabled, overlapping all other memory banks in the console
  • The 32 K internal expansion can be disabled, to allow access to 32 K RAM in the expansion box

The paging is done with CRU bits. The design is done so that it starts with the fast internal 32 K RAM expansion enabled, and the rest disabled. Thus, after a reset, the machine behaves like it had a normal 32 K RAM expansion, just faster.

#13 repetto74 OFFLINE  

repetto74

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 AM

Hi Apersson850,

Ok now I understand what you mean. Well I would say that considering the fact that the CPU can address 32k of ram maximum I would say that this will be enough for me. 

I am just a newbie for what concerns TI99/4A and have a lot of work to do in order to use the machine correctly. Actually I need to build a cassette tape cable to use with the cassette recorder. Then I can consider modding the total ram to 32k (found this tutorial https://www.harmless...TI 32k Mod.pdf)and then maybe later on I may consider a nanoPEB if this piece of electronic is still available for sale :-)

#14 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,472 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:32 AM

will add http://www.ti99iuc.i...=Mod_and_Tuneedto the faq

Greg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users