How many of you own an Atari Hotz Box?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• 4,162 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:03 PM

Really curious about number of units out there, who owns one, how much they paid, what those who own one create or do with theirs and ultimately if anyone has one they may consider selling at some point in the future. I've seen a few units come up for sale with a more recent large model going for $2,000. Don't think that's an unrealistic price to pay for a large unit considering the scarcity of said units but I guess that's why I'm starting this thread. I've got a C-Lab Falcon coming my way soon and I really want to pair it up with a proper fitting MIDI controller such as one of these. It would help to know how much a true and fair going rate for a used unit in good working condition would be outside of my own guesstimate ($2,500) for a large one and maybe ($1,200) for a smaller one but even more so, those who actually own one. 

So, for any and all Hotz Box owners... come out come out where ever you are! ;-)

I've yet to see any internal pictures of the unit as well - has anyone had one apart to see the internal components?

hotz.jpg

*edit: Guessing aside, it looks like at very least 69 units have been produced, if this is any real indication of realistic sequencing of units made.

69.jpg

Edited by Clint Thompson, Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:15 PM.

#2 rdemming OFFLINE  

rdemming

Stargunner

• 1,218 posts

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:22 PM

When I was a kid Atari Benelux demonstrated the Hotz Box on a computer fair in The Netherlands. That was the one and only time I saw one. Seems a few famous musicians (Mac Fleetwood, Jon Anderson) used one as seen is this video.

Seems there were multiple versions. On the Hotz Box page at AtariMuseum they describe a big master unit with optional smaller slave unit and a stand-alone version of the slave unit.

#3 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,162 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:45 PM

All this time I had thought he was just a musician who really enjoyed the creation of the Hotz Box but it turns out that Mick Fleetwood actually aided with the product launch in helping it get funded and if I read correctly, may be the co-founder of Hotz Instruments. I'm not really sure why no one has done a proper interview with Jimmy Hotz or if one was done, I didn't uncover anything on Google over the years I've been researching it.

Maybe it's time.

#4 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,162 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:48 PM

When I was a kid Atari Benelux demonstrated the Hotz Box on a computer fair in The Netherlands. That was the one and only time I saw one. Seems a few famous musicians (Mac Fleetwood, Jon Anderson) used one as seen is this video.

Seems there were multiple versions. On the Hotz Box page at AtariMuseum they describe a big master unit with optional smaller slave unit and a stand-alone version of the slave unit.

Did you get a chance to play it firsthand yourself?

#5 rdemming OFFLINE  

rdemming

Stargunner

• 1,218 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:42 AM

Did you get a chance to play it firsthand yourself?

No, unfortunately not. It was quite busy with people and as a kid I was more interested in playing games :P

#6 Umberto ONLINE  

Umberto

Moonsweeper

• 268 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:05 AM

http://www.hotzstore...uments_001.html

#7 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,162 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:18 AM

Truth but I could only ever afford a used model 2nd or 3rd or 4th hand from someone in the community.

#8 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,162 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:01 PM

The patent information is interesting and describes the unit in quite the technical detail... maybe too technical.

Attached File  US5099738Hotz.pdf   1.73MB   24 downloads

#9 Umberto ONLINE  

Umberto

Moonsweeper

• 268 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:30 PM

Truth but I could only ever afford a used model 2nd or 3rd or 4th hand from someone in the community.

I hear you, I am musician but loved to play with my midi keyboard back in the 80's. I just tinkered with it. 

#10 kimchipenguin OFFLINE  

kimchipenguin

Space Invader

• 38 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:03 PM

Never seen one personally, but here are two photos taken from ST-Computer's May 93 issue (more articles from German Atari magazines: http://www.stcarchiv.de). It shows the large and the medium model. The photos were taken at Frankfurt's music trade show. According to the article, an Austrian company was the distributor at that time - for German-speaking countries at least...

Prices in Deutsche Mark:

MIDI-Translator light Version: DM 590
MIDI-Translator full Version : DM 890
Hotz-Box Touchboard large : DM 15000
Hotz-Box Touchboard medium : DM 7000

musikmesse-hotzbox-falcon.jpg

musikmesse-hotzbox-mini.jpg

#11 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,162 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 PM

Never seen one personally, but here are two photos taken from ST-Computer's May 93 issue (more articles from German Atari magazines: http://www.stcarchiv.de). It shows the large and the medium model. The photos were taken at Frankfurt's music trade show. According to the article, an Austrian company was the distributor at that time - for German-speaking countries at least...

Prices in Deutsche Mark:

MIDI-Translator light Version: DM 590
MIDI-Translator full Version : DM 890
Hotz-Box Touchboard large : DM 15000
Hotz-Box Touchboard medium : DM 7000

attachicon.gifmusikmesse-hotzbox-falcon.jpg

attachicon.gifmusikmesse-hotzbox-mini.jpg

That's fantastic, thanks for sharing! They definitely are a lot larger in real life than you would believe from photos. Turns out the large one weights almost 70 lbs. !

So that would've been almost $9,000 USD. It's no wonder they didn't sell very many then, which is a shame. The super cool Haken Continuum boards cost about $2,500 and even that seems a lot for a modern day device. The one he's holding, if I'm correct with my last contact, is $2,500. 

#12 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,162 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:40 PM

I know this is available elsewhere but tonight is the first time I found it and have read the interview so wanted to share the images here:

hotz1.jpg hotz2.jpg

hotz3.jpg hotz4.jpg

hotz5.jpg hotz6.jpg

hotz7.jpg hotz8.png

#13 Clint Thompson OFFLINE  

Clint Thompson

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,162 posts
  • Kiss Reality Goodbye.

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:51 AM

So with a lot of deep diving research, I've managed to find some more interesting bits about the whole Hotz Instruments and Atari Hotz Box:

•Jimmy mentioned wanting to produce 300 metal prototypes, though there's no confirmation that happened.

•Mick Fleetwood invested $400,000 into Hotz Instruments 

•Atari released the rights back to Jimmy Hotz sometime in 1991 (from the information I found)

•Atari donated a Hotz Box and various ST items to the Children's Hospital at Standford University of Palo Alto (presented by Mick Fleetwood and Billy Burnett)

Outside of the patent diagrams of super technical jargon, there still seems to be a lot of information missing or unknown and it was even mentioned that Jimmy wouldn't comment in detail on technical aspects of the Hotz Box in one of the magazines. For your viewing pleasures all in one convenient Atari Hotz Box thread... hopefully some of you find all this as fascinating as I do. 

hotzproducer.png  hotzatarcorp.png

hotzfleetwood1.jpg  hotzfleetwood2.jpg  

hotz89.jpg

hotzinvest.PNG  hotzataridonated.PNG  hotzreleasesrights.PNG

dorighthotzbox.PNG

hotzmack.png

Edited by Clint Thompson, Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:58 AM.

#14 Jet-X OFFLINE  

Jet-X

Chopper Commander

• 164 posts

Posted Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:49 PM

See it in action -

search youtube "Hotz Box" and there's a lot of videos

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users