disk images mounting

9 replies to this topic

#1 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 3,698 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:04 AM

Disk copy 6.3.3 will let me mount an image but then won't let me "create a floppy", says hardware not set up to do so.

I also have "Mount Image" in my system folder but not really sure how to actually create floppies with that.

I have three disc images for Lemmings as my trial run, please help me make some install floppies in os 9.2.2!

Thank you. 

#2 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,698 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 AM

https://discussions....648683?tstart=0

My "create floppy" similarly greyed out.  Using a VST Superdisc drive on an Apple G3 Pismo.  Trying to reinstall drivers now and see if that does anything.

#3 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,698 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:15 AM

Sorry guys, think it's a hardware problem. The VST superdrive was tested on various OS8 versions but not OS9 so I think drivers are lacking..

That might be why my computer freezes whenever I try to eject a disk in OS9 on the Pismo...lol

Looks like I need to find a copy of stuffit for my LC III so I can unpack Disc Copy 6.3.3 on that computer and make my floppies on there.

Burned a whole morning on this, boy is getting things to work on classic computers time consuming!! Lol

#4 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,358 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:38 AM

Burned a whole morning on this, boy is getting things to work on classic computers time consuming!! Lol

It's a total PITA, and at the end, your "reward" is an ancient computer. We gotta get you a full time job, this will only end in madness or tears. 

Stuffit Deluxe is here https://www.macintos...eluxe-1-5-x-8-x

If you just need the Stuffit Expander, here you go, along with a bunch of other "useful" things. http://www.emaculati...hp/68k_software

#5 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,698 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:59 AM

It's a total PITA, and at the end, your "reward" is an ancient computer. We gotta get you a full time job, this will only end in madness or tears. 

Stuffit Deluxe is here https://www.macintos...eluxe-1-5-x-8-x

If you just need the Stuffit Expander, here you go, along with a bunch of other "useful" things. http://www.emaculati...hp/68k_software

Sadly I have no way to make the disks to get stuffit on my LC III!  I think I may need to (gasp) buy a copy of stuffit, and then should be able to unstuff programs and make my own discs on my LC III rather than on my PISMO which I thought (silly me) would be much easier..

#6 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

I say boom boom boom

• 10,358 posts
  • You say bam bam bam

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:06 PM

Sadly I have no way to make the disks to get stuffit on my LC III!  I think I may need to (gasp) buy a copy of stuffit, and then should be able to unstuff programs and make my own discs on my LC III rather than on my PISMO which I thought (silly me) would be much easier..

I haven't used this myself, but this would be my next step. 

http://rescuemyclass...k/buyadisk.html

In the old days, you'd "phone a friend." When you're playing with 30yo old stuff, you're on your own, so this is the next best thing. 

#7 eightbit OFFLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• 2,638 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:34 PM

Working on "ancient" computers can be rewarding as long as you have modern tools. Get yourself a Floppy Emu and just enjoy the computer I say. I wouldn't invest any real time into floppy crap to be honest. It was a great medium back in the day (especially since we didn't have anything else) but the wonderful part of this hobby in 2017 is that we have easy to use options to get the software to the hardware. I know you just got the floppy drive replaced and working (which is great) but the money can be spent on one of these devices and you will have fun with the machine....unless you are going for the complete nostalgia mode that includes finicky floppies ;)

Take my Amiga for example. I have a floppy drive in it (that is useful for the times I actually need to rip a disk) but primarily use internal IDE CF and HxC SD card floppy emulation. My IIGS is using a CFFA3000. My C64 uses a C64 Ultimate. My TI99/4A uses a FinalGROM99. My vintage Gateway machine is using a Gotek and a CF to IDE adapter. 

I love these machines and use them all of the time. Modernizing them to just the degree of allowing software to more easily get to the machine (and faster in all cases) has saved me a lot of headaches and have added a whole lot of conveniences. 

Edited by eightbit, Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:50 PM.

#8 H454 OFFLINE  

H454

Moonsweeper

• 321 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 PM

The LCIII reads and writes floppys right?

Does it format? and read IBM?

You may be missing some extensions.

I may be able to make some floppys with suffit on it - I have a decent amount of 80's - 90 mac stuff.

What OS # are you running?

I may 7.5 on floppy.

I have a performa 475 (the cheaper lcIII) - I can check this weekend to see what my system folder looks like if you need something to compare it to.

#9 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,698 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:04 AM

The LCIII reads and writes floppys right?

Does it format? and read IBM?

You may be missing some extensions.

I may be able to make some floppys with suffit on it - I have a decent amount of 80's - 90 mac stuff.

What OS # are you running?

I may 7.5 on floppy.

I have a performa 475 (the cheaper lcIII) - I can check this weekend to see what my system folder looks like if you need something to compare it to.

Thanks, this would be a huge help.  PM Inbound.  

My first computer was a Performa 450 circa 1993 so I have some sentimentality for these pizza box macs. 

#10 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

Stargunner

• 1,876 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:36 AM

LC 2 was able to read and write MS-DOS floppies, so LC 3 should too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: disk images, mounting

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users