IGNORED

Is the 8 bit uninspiring?

emkay

OP -- To be fair - the 2600 was the big breakthrough --

custom sound and graphics chips -- on top of a CPU, at the same time everyone else was releasing "just CPU" systems. However,

The 800 is a very solid advancement of this, and brings some new technologies that were quite inspired:

- SIO, early form of USB (12V power over the cable, daisy chaining, smart devices that can identify themselves and load firmware)

- Proper expansion busses

- 3 or more Custom chips instead of 2 (hey, there's a lot of hardware in the A8), depending on how you count

- Fully FCC shielding compliant (Hello Apple II)

- Many excellent engineered Atari peripherals

Beyond those, a lot of it was iteration : more colors, more sprites, (much much) better sound, etc. add on ram, keyboard, and more joystick ports..

It's worth noting though the 800 is only 24 months newer.. They actually added quite a lot in that time to make it a more powerful system. The 800 could definitely reproduce arcade games and other games much better than the 2600.

• Like 6

So it's my opinion when suggesting to put a steering wheel into a car for better controls, and while adding that , the car should move to the left, when steering to the left , steering to the right should also do the expected. ? Brakes should work properly aswell.

Your original statement is more along the lines of "this neat little toy car is better than anything every made by the Ford motor company".

Actually, I'd still propose that, because other people usually expect it that way.

If what you originally stated was as obvious and integral as a steering wheel controlling a car then you'd find people in agreement with you, wouldn't you say?

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

The 2600 is still inspiring to me. It inspires me to want to go to work the next day. The thought that someone had the ability to make something happen with this primitive hardware is inspiring. It inspires me to want to try and learn assembly. The creativity that went into the games for the 2600 is inspiring. The foundation of home video games in this world exists because of the inspiration that came from the 2600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Your original statement is more along the lines of "this neat little toy car is better than anything every made by the Ford motor company".

I wonder why people always put their own thoughts into else's minds...

It's actually "The neat little toy is able to be used as a normal car, while the Ford car forces accidents if you want to drive it regular.

If what you originally stated was as obvious and integral as a steering wheel controlling a car then you'd find people in agreement with you, wouldn't you say?

Hmm. Could you sort this sentence ?

I wonder why people always put their own thoughts into else's minds...

Because, upon assessment of output from the mind in question, it would seem that additional input might be of some benefit.

It's actually "The neat little toy is able to be used as a normal car, while the Ford car forces accidents if you want to drive it regular.

OK, have fun. :)

post-6369-0-68376000-1505314734.jpg

Hmm. Could you sort this sentence ?

I'm no grammar expert but here you go.

Conjunctions

if, and

Pronouns

what, you

Adverbs

originally, then, was, as

Adjectives

stated, obvious, integral, controlling

Determiners

a

Nouns

steering wheel, car, people, agreement

Verbs

find, say

Prepositions

in, with

Contractions

you'd, wouldn't

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 5

This is getting quite entertaining. If you guys keep this going, I'll have to cancel my NetFlix subscription :) .

In all seriousness. I think we all can acknowledge what a fantastically simple, yet powerful system the 2600 was when it first came out. But to suggest that that demo which started out this topic, although impressive for the hardware, was better than what we've seen come out for the Atari 8-bit computer, is absurd to say the least.

- Michael

• Like 4

This is getting quite entertaining. If you guys keep this going, I'll have to cancel my NetFlix subscription :) .

In all seriousness. I think we all can acknowledge what a fantastically simple, yet powerful system the 2600 was when it first came out. But to suggest that that demo which started out this topic, although impressive for the hardware, was better than what we've seen come out for the Atari 8-bit computer, is absurd to say the least.

- Michael

The absurdity in entertaining here is that people think "hey I saved a cycle, put a color ... " what else. But the presentation for people outside the scene is zero.

It took almost 40 years and , as it seems, will never get solved. As you "insiders" ? will never get what's the Problem .

It's only Heaven with his Arsantica Demos, who walked on foreign ground in the scene , to impress others than A8 users. And his demos really do something "more" .

Edited by emkay

The absurdity in entertaining here is that people think "hey I saved a cycle, put a color ... " what else. But the presentation for people outside the scene is zero.

It took almost 40 years and , as it seems, will never get solved. As you "insiders" ? will never get what's the Problem .

It's only Heaven with his Arsantica Demos, who walked on foreign ground in the scene , to impress others than A8 users. And his demos really do something "more" .

I will grant you that there are some who absolutely excel at pushing the 8-bit into areas never thought possible. And for that we are thankful, and also very impressed.

Not really sure what you are implying by the 'insiders' comment, other than perhaps suggesting that you are above them in some way, having the gifted sight to know better. I guess this kind of explains a lot about the stance you take in many of your postings. Not saying anything bad here, unless you wish to take it that way. I'll just assume that from your viewpoint you wish to teach us what we don't get or lack the ability to understand.

Anyway as I said before, it is entertaining, and i think also enlightening as well.

Have a good day :)

- Michael

• Like 2

Not really sure what you are implying by the 'insiders' comment, other than perhaps suggesting that you are above them in some way, having the gifted sight to know better. I guess this kind of explains a lot about the stance you take in many of your postings. Not saying anything bad here, unless you wish to take it that way.

Will there be a day when people don't try to implement their thoughts into other's?

Example: People claim SID can sound like a real E-Guitar. So they claim the superiority of the SID chip. I like many of those SID tunes, but I don't like E-Guitar sounds. So I can clearly state that SID don't sound like an E-Guitar. As if those tunes were sounding like an E-Guitar, I'd never liked that tunes.

Got it?

So it's my opinion when suggesting to put a steering wheel into a car for better controls, and while adding that , the car should move to the left, when steering to the left , steering to the right should also do the expected. ? Brakes should work properly aswell.

Actually, I'd still propose that, because other people usually expect it that way.

Simply, read my comment again.

You confuse opinion with fact. YOU find that 2600 demo more impressive than (most/all) a8 demos. It is YOUR opinion that the demo is more impressive. As you can see in this thread most other people think different. That is the beauty of opinion. It gets scary when people confuse facts and opinions.

Like I said before: I find the demo you posted good and interesting when I take in mind that it was done on 2600, but I found the demo itself not so special at all. Perhaps I'm not qualified to say something about this production, but at least I'm not stating my opinion as facts.

• Like 1

Read start post again. There is no argumentation. And pssst... if someone has a different opinion than your superior opinion it does not always mean he does not get the point.

You should read what I'm writing. I'm not deciding on my opinion ....

Edited by emkay

Watching this demo from the 2600 system, made me asking myself, how could it be , that a demo is more impressive than most 8bit demos?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nTRMTnTeLQ

Do I really have to spel it out for you?

You are wondering how it is possible that a 2600 demo is (????) More impressive than most a8 demos.

Opinion: it is not a fact that the demo is more impressive than most a8 demos. You obviously think so. Well I do not.

Edited by ProWizard

Because you restrict the demo to the quality of the program itself. That's the bias.

Wrong again. Sigh you are really a bad reader. Read all my comments. And you'll see that I find the demo good BECAUSE it is running on 2600. I appreciate it, because it is for 2600. Sigh. Could you please stop trolling?

• Like 1

Wrong again. Sigh you are really a bad reader. Read all my comments. And you'll see that I find the demo good BECAUSE it is running on 2600.

LOL... Again you wrote "it'S about the 2600.

NO. IT'S NOT !

It's the Demo itself that is showing the content right, even if the 2600 has this low specs.

To go further to the main issue....

What is wrong with that?

The replies eventually give the point to the problem ;)

As still no one gives the answer to the most relevant part, I'll do it ;)

The Demo shows nothing, but some idealistic A8 content. Music and Graphics fit together like a fish and a camel moving in a different time and different direction.