IGNORED

Is the 8 bit uninspiring?

emkay

No offense to anyone posting in the thread, it's been an interesting read, I just don't get ... why this is a thread?

The question is more : Why is that thread needed after almost 40 years?

Why is it so hard to get productions done, even if the Atari offers the best hardware base for it?

And, as it seems, people most times lose the inspiration for that, while particular the "inspiration" of coders resulted in MooD on the C64 and Doom on the Speccy, even on the VIC20.

Demos today were still "miles" aways from a perfect presentation....

Edited by emkay

The question is more : Why is that thread needed after almost 40 years?

I'd say there is a pretty easy explanation: because most Atari coders and developers are focused on hardware and games.

I have messed around with the various homebrew and hardware options on most of the main 80s home PCs. And I can tell you, the SD card interfaces on the Atari (particularly Ultimate1mb/Side 2 and the Ultimate Cart) are miles ahead of similar options on the c64, TI etc. Better interface, easier use etc. A lot of the talent in the Atari scene is very focused on these hardware expansions and the drivers/software that go with them.

The people who are not working on that stuff seem to be mainly focused on games, note the yearly ABBUC competitions, and other games like Bosconian, Time Pilot, His Dark Majesty etc.

There is an Atari demo scene, and they make some good stuff, but it's not the focus of the fan base. And it shouldn't be. I'll take something like Spartados X with my Ultimate 1mb/Side 2 setup running the Last Word ANY DAY over a demo.

The 8-bit fan base is very practical. And most of the talent is focused on practical expansions like VBXE, SIO2BT etc. Not many of us care about demos, when other people are letting you play .ATR files off your android tablet wirelessly connected to a real atari, you know?

• Like 2

So, please learn the difference between opinion, fact , and fact based opinion.

Better take your own advice, and you don't have a clue of the difference! You prove it right here, if something IS fact based, then it IS fact and NOT opinion. :dunce:

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Better take your own advice, and you don't have a clue of the difference! You prove it right here, if something IS fact based, then it IS fact and NOT opinion. :dunce:

I'm not always telling "It's only emkay's opinion blah blah ..." . People like you put the part of "emkay's opinion" to it, while it is fact based, what I wrote. I'm only trying to explain it, but that is what I'm always failing, as it seems.

The fact is, people die under water, because they cannot breath water

The opinion is, not to try to breath water. Which is fact based

The opinion to try to breath water is just a dumb assumption.

You see the difference?

Koronis Rift is probably my favorite of the Lucas three.. I'd love to see a modern version of that.. and had long expected to see a 16-bit version.

Koronis Rift has nothing to do with some Wolf 3D except the view.

On the other hand, in my opinion ;) (not fact ; ) Koronis Rift is the best "3D" game on the A8.

Koronis Rift has nothing to do with some Wolf 3D except the view.

On the other hand, in my opinion ;) (not fact ; ) Koronis Rift is the best "3D" game on the A8.

Hmm, I always thought K Rift was closer to a 3D FPS than the Eidolon -- The Eidolon is effectively 2D since every object appears in a fixed vertical position, and generally don't swarm around you. The weapon and defense selections are also wider in KR.

Although tbf my recollection of TE may be limited..

The other title I wish we had on the A8 (a little off topic) was Elite. I don't think you'd see a 2600 version of that ;-)

Hmm, I always thought K Rift was closer to a 3D FPS than the Eidolon -- The Eidolon is effectively 2D since every object appears in a fixed vertical position, and generally don't swarm around you. The weapon and defense selections are also wider in KR.

Although tbf my recollection of TE may be limited..

The other title I wish we had on the A8 (a little off topic) was Elite. I don't think you'd see a 2600 version of that ;-)

You see... Koronis Rift was done in 1985. What happened till today?

I'd say there is a pretty easy explanation: because most Atari coders and developers are focused on hardware and games.

We're getting closer here...

Viewing the 2600 demo, it shows a lot of "artistics" . Even the "far lower" specs , didn't stop people from doing that artistic stuff.

The Atari forces coders and developer for HW expansions and Games , but it doesn't force real artist to do artistic stuff on it.

I'm not always telling "It's only emkay's opinion blah blah ..." . People like you put the part of "emkay's opinion" to it, while it is fact based, what I wrote. I'm only trying to explain it, but that is what I'm always failing, as it seems.

The fact is, people die under water, because they cannot breath water

The opinion is, not to try to breath water. Which is fact based

The opinion to try to breath water is just a dumb assumption.

You see the difference?

I see that you still have no clue between fact and opinion. It is not OPINION not to try and breath underwater, that is COMMON SENSE, not opinion And trying to breath water is also nothing to do with OPINION, it a CHOICE, and a idiotic choice, but NOT opinion. The difference is fact vs. idiocy, NOT Opinion. YOU have no clue.

What are the facts behind a 2600 demo being more inspiring to you than 8-bit demos? NONE, absolutely NONE, and is complete OPINION from idiocy You fail to convince because it is all opinion and idiocy.

• Like 5

I see that you still have no clue between fact and opinion. It is not OPINION not to try and breath underwater, that is COMMON SENSE, not opinion And trying to breath water is also nothing to do with OPINION, it a CHOICE, and a idiotic choice, but NOT opinion. The difference is fact vs. idiocy, NOT Opinion. YOU have no clue.

What are the facts behind a 2600 demo being more inspiring to you than 8-bit demos? NONE, absolutely NONE, and is complete OPINION from idiocy You fail to convince because it is all opinion and idiocy.

You really miss the point. Why don't you stop posting in this thread and work on your Rastaconverter pictures, removing the error Bars ? I've explained there how to do that.

T

We're getting closer here...

Viewing the 2600 demo, it shows a lot of "artistics" . Even the "far lower" specs , didn't stop people from doing that artistic stuff.

The Atari forces coders and developer for HW expansions and Games , but it doesn't force real artist to do artistic stuff on it.

That is called Artistry, NOT artistics , which isn't even a word, ARTISTIC is a word, and is not a word that is used plurally, with an S. Look up "artistics" on Google, it leads you to the definition of ARTISTIC, not S, EVER. You used it right the second time. And Atari forcing coders to do expansions and games is a total falsehood, No Atari coder is forced to use any expansions, they can program for Atari with NO expansions, and no one is forced to code games only. That may be the most idiotic thing you have said yet. :dunce:

Its an inanimate object, it doesn't possess the will or capability to force anyone to do anything with it

I guess it's more a like Woman, everyone wants to have. So everyone is doing some inspired stuff to impress "her". Somehow, the A8 seems not to ring the bell of those artists.

Edited by emkay

Its an inanimate object, it doesn't possess the will or capability to force anyone to do anything with it

But to Emkay, it is fact, more proof he has no clue between fact, opinion, and now truth.

• Like 3

But to Emkay, it is fact, more proof he has no clue between fact, opinion, and now truth.

LOL

You really should use a mirror. If I had no clue about "truth" , I never started this thread, as given things have been approved for several decades. One hint: The truth is what's real ;)

As you won't get out of your unreal world, I know how to get you posts lately.

You really miss the point. Why don't you stop posting in this thread and work on your Rastaconverter pictures, removing the error Bars ? I've explained there how to do that.

Oh, come now. He's done some impressive work in the [new-to-me] RastaConverter department. If you have suggestions on how to make improvements, cool! I'm quite fascinated with what I've seen. Perhaps you fellows should work cooperatively?

Oh, come now. He's done some impressive work in the [new-to-me] RastaConverter department. If you have suggestions on how to make improvements, cool! I'm quite fascinated with what I've seen. Perhaps you fellows should work cooperatively?

The real work has been done by Ilmenit. Rastaconverter is a very powerful tool , no doubt. But it has still bugs, and doesn't allow any control over the details. To do some optimizations of that pictures, is also not much work, and the rest is upon the speed of the PC. So the "poster of the pictures" at least could do the needed workarounds for reducing the errors.

LOL

You really should use a mirror. If I had no clue about "truth" , I never started this thread, as given things have been approved for several decades. One hint: The truth is what's real ;)

As you won't get out of your unreal world, I know how to get you posts lately.

Sorry, I'm done laughing out loud at you, I now pity your ignorance and delusions. Obviously you wouldn't know truth if it ran you down like a bus. And once again, I suggest you take your own advice. And I now bow out of this conversation, I might as well be talking to a brick wall, which in my OPINION is smarter than you. Why? Because a brick wall is at least smart enough not to talk back and continue to dig a pit of stupidity for itself. "Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3