IGNORED

Is the 8 bit uninspiring?

emkay

You really got the point :)

Normally, people start some real technical or other related thread, people who have nothing to say, just ramble into it, destroying the thread itself.

Using the title above, makes the thread running like a perpetuum mobile.

Everything turns away from the machine and shows the main inspiration of every participant clearly.

Reminds me of other forums where people blame Windows for everything.

One is telling: I don't like Windows, because it's too hard to handle. You always have to search for Software and Drivers... and it's not closed enough to get really safe..

The other is telling: I don't like Windows, because it's looking like a child's toy, and it's not open enough to get really safe.. I need a terminal to enter and to code and to compile software for my personal use.

One of them uses IMacs only, the other only boots plain Linux for a real feel ;)

But, together they fill the forums over the year, luckily keeping the fact that they have in common, not to like windows :D

I have no issue with people not liking anything about a platform, a system, a console etc etc etc but for goodness sake don't whine about it, by all means say why you don't like it but keep it to the point and then move on.I'm as guilty as anyone else in this department but I *try* to recognise when I do it, you might want to take a page out of my book Emkay my friend :)

LOL...Spot on good sir.. :)

Hehe.. again, wrong and absolutely useless post , replied to a totally false recepted question.

While the question just was about "If you like the inspiration, why do you reject it? "

And then the answer, based on the personal inspiration of the writer: "If you don't like it.... blahblahblah"...

Wasn't better , he wrote "If you don't like it, i have to cry" or else?

To make things more clear: I have some of those overmuffled MIDI tunes in my car stereo, because I cannot stand the itchy scratchy style of POKEY tunes, as they were built on. But the Midis refer to the SID original, not POKEY.... Well, I wouldn't even play SIDs in my car stereo for similar causes...

So the question never was about "taste" or "like" there....

You guys sometimes were really great....

Edited by emkay

I have no issue with people not liking anything about a platform, a system, a console etc etc etc but for goodness sake don't whine about it, by all means say why you don't like it but keep it to the point and then move on.

The point is clear and 100% given by the question in the title.

Edited by emkay

Weakest try ever to prevent saying that you are wrong.

Emkay... You have proven that all those not so positive opinions about you are true.

I would recommend an Atari-Age ban for life for Emkay.

One question, or 2 ?

What drives you to use the Atari?

Or should I write what false perception drives you to post in this thread?

Because it's easier to lose focus on the A8 without me ?

If it's the way to ban me for the reason of mine, to have pushed the A8 well to the limits, then it should be ;)

Because it is more fun creating stuff for A8 WITHOUT you complaining about the makers all the time, yes!

you're always bitching. All the time.

Telling people they do not "create it the right way"!

Telling people they have to "push the limits of A8"

You do NOTHING to "push the limits"... you just put other work into the mud.

So go and ban yourself - Your chance to make some people smile once in your lifetime.

• Like 4

Because it is more fun creating stuff for A8 WITHOUT you complaining about the makers all the time, yes!

you're always bitching. All the time.

Telling people they do not "create it the right way"!

Telling people they have to "push the limits of A8"

You do NOTHING to "push the limits"... you just put other work into the mud.

So go and ban yourself - Your chance to make some people smile once in your lifetime.

So that's your inspiration? Always taking half the truth, to put you own position to a brighter spot?

I would recommend an Atari-Age ban for life for Emkay.

I disagree here.

* he is a good to test out our t®ollerance level - we have to live with such people also in real life

* we can just ignore him (AFAIK there is even a forum function for this) - nobody answering him seems to be the highest punishment, please feel free to do so

* he plays the "Devil's advocate" quite well - sometimes this seems to be needed (the only positive effect I can account)

and last but not least

* I find him quite funny - several times he called me even names. I don't care, in conjunction with his positions it's more worse not to be called f.e. "a fool" by him.

Psychological he is a very common stereotype: He is ALWAYS right, others are dumb and are unable to follow his position.

I mentioned it before but if you like to demonstrate cognitive dissonance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance), here you have a very good example.

If he makes (obvious) errors, they were (of course) intentional! (May be the force with him...)

I guess he was bullied by a C64 gang on the school yard that he still cares to show off he owns the better system (he is always right - you remember?!).

We don't care as well as the C64 guys don't - what a tragedy...

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 4

Something to say about the topic ?

Ok, I do you the favour:

- inspect the list of entries for the KAZ Compos of the last years

- take into account that the end of production of the 8-bit line was more than 20 years ago

- ask yourself if the topic question is dumb...

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 2

Of course opinions can be fact-based; emkay is providing a poor example for one.

We see fact-based opinions being compared on this forum all the time, especially in the C64 vs A8 type of threads.

--------------------------

For instance, someone may hold the following opinion:

The Atari XL/XE has a better graphics system than the C64

because it has a larger palette and more graphics modes.

Facts:

C64 has a palette of 16 colors

A8 has a palette of 128/256 colors

C64 has 5 graphics modes

A8 has 16 graphics modes

Another example would be the following:

Two different people work the same job and travel the same distance to work each day.

They both go to sleep at 11pm and leave for work at 8am.

Person #1 is of the opinion that rising at 6am is better

because "he has an extra hour to prepare for work" (fact).

Person #2 is of the opinion that rising at 7am is better

because "he has an extra hour of sleep each night" (fact).

The question for emkay is, if your opinion is fact-based then please present some of these supposed facts. I've searched through this whole thread and found very little that would qualify as facts that back up your opinion, and you've certainly stated none in your initial post.

And, if it's your intent to affect the current state of A8 demo production, then your facts (if you can come up with any) should be compared with demos of the same class (i.e.: not intros or tech demos) and produced in the last 5 years. Otherwise your comparisons are going to be irrelevant (as the case was with the demo you showed from 1991) unless you plan on travelling back in time and taking this thread with you.

After studying what you say here, I suppose it makes sense, though what you call fact, I would use the word truth, they are not synonymous. . But I accept what you say. To me, fact is a 100% true, 100% of the time, But with your hour earlier, hour later scenario, something could happen to disrupt that, so truth fits better, (in my opinion, pun intended)

An example I have of truth vs. fact: Many (most?) would say the sky being blue is fact. But I call that a truth, because it can be different colors and sunrise at sunset from your perspective and at night it's black. Weather not included, because the blue sky is still up there somewhere, during the day, even if you can't see it.

Now, if it was stated that "the sky is black and blue, most of the time," I'd consider that statement as a fact.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I guess he was bullied by a C64 gang on the school yard that he still cares to show off he owns the better system (he is always right - you remember?!).

We don't care as well as the C64 guys don't - what a tragedy...

I must say that I found it rather disturbing myself back then, to be the only person in the neighborhood with an atari 8bit computer. I was not interested in the question which computer was the best, but just the fact that all my friends exchanged games together, and I stuck with games I had to type in or in a rare occasion I was able to buy a game on tape.

Afterwards I think it was not so bad at all. I still experience that. Having a few games means also that you explore these games till the very end. You get everything out of these games. Today I have so much choice that something I find it hard to stay interested in one game... switching to another game is way too easy. Perhaps my friends back then, had this issue too?

I remember playing The Extirpator for HOURS ... and even while the game isn't so special, I still have very fond memories of that game. Or Eastern Front 1941. I had this game on tape (a tape with a RED atari label). Endless midwinter nights! Awesome memories!.

This is a big contrast with the unlimited amount of floppy disks my friends had (in my memory they absolutely had over 250 floppy disks).

On the other side, I really enjoyed played Outrun on the C64 when I was at friends. And YES I must honestly admit that I still would consider buying myself a C64, to play THAT game.

But...

Thanks to the reply of Heaven/TQA in this thread my interest in other systems grew. I started watching youtube movies of 'best C64' games... and although deep in my heart I was secretly convinced that the C64 had the better cards, I have my doubts now. Seriously. The game library seems to be bigger yes. And the sprites-capabilities look better in a first glance... but when I look better I see quite boring games... they lack something I can not describe. I'm probably too used or even too spoiled with Atari 8bit. I don't know.

I must say ... the Amiga looks amazing. I really should get me one sooner or later. Although I know myself... once I start with Amiga, I probably want to collect them for spares and before I know it I have a zillion of these machines.

Why this response...

Well the quoted line triggered me in some way. I recognize the 'rivalry' between the C64 / A8 / MSX camps and sure I was and still am extremely proud of the a8. I do not feel the need to convince other people of the greatness of the a8, but in the past I have heard a lot of prejudices about it. As soon as people heard the word Atari, they answered: hell no.... that is a machine just for games. It took me lots of patience to convince people about the contrary. That is something I still remember, and actually it is still there. As soon as I start about my atari, people always seem to think of the 2600.

No problem, I love the atari 2600 as well. But for me the good memories are in the 8bit.

As said, Emkay sees things from what I'd call an autistic skewed angle, every one else sees it the same be he sees it all differently which is clearly proved by the thread but he won't agree with this because he's wired not to be wrong. Its quite a common trait and I'm sure we all know another person who is the same, my wife is one, she will never admit even the simplest wrong doing, there's always an excuse why it happened, silly stuff like leaving a pan on till it burns and then saying "I definitely turned the pan off". Truly silly stuff but nothing major and we just get on with stuff and no point is made about it other than, be careful.

I know where it comes from, her mum and sister who she looks after always look to blame her when things go wrong so its a defence mechanism and I recognise that and we just carry on as normal and as we have been married 36 years its all still good.

As for Emkay, would I ban him, never, alternative thinking is always welcome for me as long as it does not turn ugly, those who find him awkward, then just use the ignore feature. I personally like to read his stuff and have no problem with him even if some of it is utter piddle, hey, I speak piddle at times myself.

As for Emkay, would I ban him, never,

The reason I suggested this, was because he really manipulates. He turns and turns and turns and turns. In post #130 of this thread he explained his reasons for this thread (and later did edit his post). The way I read his original post was, that it was just a game for him... like an experiment, to see how people would response on his question. That is why I called it the weakest response ever to prevent telling that you were wrong.

That manipulation of people can be dangerous, and imho a forum member unworthy. I am very aware that this is my point of view, and yes he did edit his post, and yes I'm not 'authorized' to say something about moderation or whatever, but seriously... when I read that post #130 I was like: wtf.... why did I ever fall in his psychological disturbed trap.

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 1