Photo

In KansasFest really a big deal?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,682 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 PM

Is KansasFest really a big deal? Everytime I hear it mentioned all I hear is name dropping and who is attending. Not a lot of hardcore Apple material. I can imagine the guests (in their old age) doing even MORE name dropping.

Not sure I would want to attend. Bummer, because Apple II is my fav platform.

On the other hand I hear good things about PRGE, and there is good tech talk and, naturally, announcements of games and lots of things to trade. As it should be.

#2 david__schmidt OFFLINE  

david__schmidt

Chopper Commander

• 137 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:23 PM

Have you looked at https://www.kansasfest.org/?  Or looked at the session downloads, recordings, or...?  I've never been myself, but I wouldn't reach the same conclusions as you just based on a cursory glance at that site.

#3 MarkO OFFLINE  

MarkO

Dragonstomper

• 867 posts
  • Location:Albany, Oregon, USA, North Western Hemisphere, Planet Tera

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:50 PM

I haven't made it to one either, but there is lots of Technical Talks going on...

MarkO

#4 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 18,682 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:24 AM

Have you looked at https://www.kansasfest.org/?  Or looked at the session downloads, recordings, or...?  I've never been myself, but I wouldn't reach the same conclusions as you just based on a cursory glance at that site.

Admittedly I heard most of what I said second hand. Kinda why I was asking. I think I'm totally out of the history side of things for a while. Comes and goes I guess.

I haven't made it to one either, but there is lots of Technical Talks going on...

Well that's certainly good to hear.

#5 The Usotsuki OFFLINE  

The Usotsuki

Stargunner

• 1,874 posts
  • Also called "Licca"

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:37 AM

Be nice if there were something a bit closer. :/

#6 polyex OFFLINE  

polyex

Chopper Commander

• 105 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 AM

Is KansasFest really a big deal? Everytime I hear it mentioned all I hear is name dropping and who is attending. Not a lot of hardcore Apple material. I can imagine the guests (in their old age) doing even MORE name dropping.

As I said in an earlier thread, I think your a bit of instigator with the topics you start but I will bite  as I did travel to Kansasfest and left early.  It felt to me like a certain clique of people were attending to have a reunion with each other, podcast or video the whole thing and everyone else that attends gets to watch from the sidelines. If you happen to not be in this clique of podcasters and event organizers, and are not a "celebrity" you sometimes might feel like you are an uninvited guest and are crashing the party.

Edited by polyex, Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:33 AM.

#7 JamesD ONLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 7,735 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:57 AM

As I said in an earlier thread, I think your a bit of instigator with the topics you start but I will bite  as I did travel to Kansasfest and left early.  It felt to me like a certain clique of people were attending to have a reunion with each other, podcast or video the whole thing and everyone else that attends gets to watch from the sidelines. If you happen to not be in this clique of podcasters and event organizers, and are not a "celebrity" you sometimes might feel like you are an uninvited guest and are crashing the party.

This seems to be consistent with the CoCo Fest. 
It seems the same people have been going for 10+ years if you look though the pictures.

#8 towmater OFFLINE  

towmater

Moonsweeper

• 413 posts

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 AM

I remember when Woodward and Bernstein were held as heroes, but I think in this day-and-age they'd be treated as trolls. "Fake news." I'm not saying this is journalism, though I do appreciate Keatah's questioning and not taking things on face-value. Anyways, it seems like Keatah succeeded in eliciting from Polyex some very useful discussion.

I've watched a few of the Kansasfest videos and they are fascinating technical presentations, although if one were to devote several days to this event, a prerequisite -at least- would be to have a thorough knowledge of 6502 machine code and the internals of an Apple //.

#9 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,865 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:15 AM

I'm under the impression to get the most out of Kansasfest you need to treat it like a week-long dorm-room experience. I'm a one-day show goer myself, so I don't think I'll ever make it out there.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users