Photo

Looking for Atari XL cartridge connector

11 replies to this topic

#1 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

Stargunner

• 1,532 posts

Posted Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 PM

Besides the obvious BC and Best, any place in Europe to get a good quality card edge (cartridge) connector ?

I think these are a bit higher than regular card-edge connectors and have a different (smaller) pin width ?

Surprising that a google search for Atari XL cartridge connector yields about 0 good results....

Googling the product number does give some results...

Edited by Level42, Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:12 PM.

#2 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Moonsweeper

• 498 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 AM

I think these are a bit higher than regular card-edge connectors and have a different (smaller) pin width ?

No. Absolute standard 2x 15 pin with 0.1" spacing. You can get them high quality at Mouser or cheaper, but also okay from eBay, for example this offer: http://www.ebay.de/itm/140888497123

#3 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,532 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:55 PM

Thanks !

Stupid me....I just found (and ordered) it on my "favorite" parts supplier (had searched earlier on the AMP part number but the search function is not the best on RS's website so failed to find it).

http://nl.rs-online....ectors/7825109/

It's in backorder but supposed to be back on stock next month .....not really in a hurry so no problem. Price is great, can order a single piece and no shipping costs is awesome too :)

This is TE = AMP brand so quality. I don't want cartridge issues so this is one of those moments I want quality. I think it's pretty amazing how little problems those cartridge connectors develop even after 30 years....at least I never had a problem....

Edited by Level42, Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 PM.

#4 David_P OFFLINE  

David_P

Dragonstomper

• 834 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:12 PM

From eBay, fifty connectors for less than a dollar each:

http://www.ebay.com/...353.m1438.l2649

#5 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,532 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:50 PM

Yeah. I need one, not 50. Also...as I mentioned above, I want quality. The original cartridge connectors last over 30 years for a reason.

Those are cheap Chinese ones and from just looking at this picture I can see the quality is not going to be great.

A cartridge connector is very much a mechanical thing. Inserting and removing carts time and again....although less then BITD....but even so...I want reliability.
Also....if the contacts of these Chinese things are of the quality of some other connectors that I have seen from there (under a microscope) you can be sure they are sanding your cartridge pins qua....or worse.

So...2.50 (or so) euros form1 connector is fine for me in this case :) all my other A8 machines still have fine working connectors :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3428.PNG

Edited by Level42, Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:00 PM.

#6 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,513 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:15 PM

But - the description says "Industrial".  They gotta be good  :D

#7 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 PM

Busting the “Made In China” Myth I remember when I was growing up people said the same thing about "Made in Japan" as being cheap and inferior to US made products. Boy did that make a reversal, with the US scrambling to catch up to Japan's 'superior' quality and workmanship that emerged in the mid 70's and continued for several decades beyond. You can be patriotic as all get up, but that doesn't change the face of reality.

Yes there are some poor quality products emerging from China, but I bet you'll find some "Made in America" ones that are also just as bad (I remember working for a short time for just such a company). It's all about having pride in what you do. And last but not least, I have 3 excellent HDTV's all made in China, with one going on 10 years now without a problem.

- Michael

#8 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,532 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:44 PM

Michael,

I totally agree. First of all: the term Patriotic doesn't say much to me. I'm from The Netherlands and we don't have our national flag waving on every third house . That doesn't mean we're not proud of our country but....well it's different.

I buy lots of stuff directly from China. I usually use http://www.aliexpress.com as prices are insanely cheap and there are usually no or very little shipping costs.

Usually, these products are not "life saving stuff".....they are either just a gimmick or I need to use them not that often but sometimes it's not like that.

F.I. I have exchanged almost all light bulbs inside my car for LED versions from there. They work 100% fine and there was nothing wrong with production quality. Another example was DAC chips that I needed for my Asteroids PCB. 27 bucks excl. shipping for NOS ones, about 2 bucks from AliExpress....of course they were bootlegs, but today "everyone" can make reliable chips with technology that was "top notch" 30 years ago...

However, these are not mechanical devices. My hesitation for everything that makes contact and especially stuff that needs to be connected frequently comes from buying a charing cable for my iPad from Aliexpress....

From the pictures it looks like they paid attention to quality build but it was a different story. When it arrived I noticed that the part where the actual pins are was not straight in the housing, there was a slight angle. Even so, it worked OK. After only a couple of uses though, it stopped charging fast. I had a look under the little microscope I use for PCB trace inspection (also bought from AliExpress !! ) and was pretty shocked....

Not only was one contact GONE, if you look closely at the surface of the other contacts you can see how poorly made they are. They are very very uneve, on this level, it's like sanding paper....or a file.........imagine what this does to the contacts inside the iPad/iPhone when you've inserted and removed it time and again.....that would have led to an expensive repair....

Already from the first photo (original Apple cable compared) you can see the contacts on the original cable are very smooth and sit completely flat with the plastic around it.

Since then, no such stuff that is important/expensive for me.

My A8 cartridges are important for me. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF3053.jpg
  • DSCF3055.jpg
  • DSCF3056.jpg
  • DSCF3058.jpg
  • DSCF3059.jpg

Edited by Level42, Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:46 PM.

#9 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:21 AM

Yep some stuff is definitely cheaply made as in the charging cable you bought. So you have to be selective as to who you'll buy from. However I purchased some cart and eci connectors a while back (5-10 piece minimum) that were of excellent quality, as well as professionally packaged in a fitted plastic box. Obviously you only needed the one, so purchasing the AMP part from where you did made perfect sense.

Also the Realan Mini-ITX cases from AliExpress are a terrific value when the shipping is free, and of a very high quality. I also purchased a couple of PicKit2 programmers that were indistinguishable from the MicroChip versions, and we're super cheap. So it all depends on who you are dealing with.

- Michael

#10 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,532 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:47 AM

Exactly. 

I have ordered a breadboard and connecting wires/pins for it, battery holder to put the CR2032 of U1MB in (want to remove it from the underside of the PCB), nice pre-produced connection cable for the audio outputs of my Stereo Pokey board, spacers to mount the U1MB, 3.5mm jack for stereo output, some LEDs etc. etc. form Aliexpress....buying 100 pcs of RGB LEDs for 2.50 euro incl. shipping...I mean even when 1 does burn out....I still have 99 spares  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

With the 3.5 mm jack it was a case of getting a mechanical connector from Ali but....I'm not hooking up/removing the connector a lot of times and these are relatively big, simple contacts. And it's not for hi-end audio..."just" POKEY goodness :)

#11 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,201 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:43 AM

...battery holder to put the CR2032 of U1MB in (want to remove it from the underside of the PCB)

I don't know if you ever considered mounting the U1MB with the battery side up, but this is the way it was done in the XEL to allow for easy access to the battery (no need to reposition the battery holder on the board).

- Michael

#12 Level42 ONLINE  

Level42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,532 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:50 AM

I'm afraid the connectors will be in the way too much, but surely worth a try.

The plastic spacers arrived so I can try to mount the U1MB :D

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users