List of Supplies Needed to run a US NTSC Heavy Sixer in Australia

8 replies to this topic

#1 Oztari OFFLINE  

Oztari

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:24 AM

Hi guys, 

new guy having 70's/80's flashbacks. I have recently bought a Heavy Sixer (or 2...) from the US due to the better prices in the US and the huge selection of games available. 

What I now need to do is get my console running nicely in Australian power conditions as we are PAL over here with 240V. 

I am not technical at all with electrical stuff so need a bit of a hand with exactly what I need. I have found a few similar requests and threads but was hoping to get my ingredients nailed with minimal $$ outlay!

For example, why the big difference in prices between these two products that look like they do the same thing?

$124

http://www.ebay.com....r-/111496390305

$8.50

http://www.ebay.com....5.c100005.m1851

Is that all I need to use so I don't fry my console?

Now for the NTSC part. If I am just using NTSC carts I should be able to just use a modern flat screen through the AV right? I really don't want to be drilling holes in my console to do the AV mod as shown here:

http://www.coolretro...ation_Guide.pdf

So is there another way that I can set it up to play through the AV? Any redirects to threads that will help me would be much appreciated. Its gonna take days or weeks to sift through the amazing bulk of knowledge on this forum!

#2 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 32,676 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 AM

The one for $8.50 is fine, the other guy is smoking dope.

#3 Oztari OFFLINE  

Oztari

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:45 AM

good to hear. I feel sorry for the 83 people that had already bought one though...

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#4 boxpressed OFFLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• 2,657 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:52 AM

You'll need one of these. The RCA plug from the 2600 doesn't plug into AV; it's meant to go into an RF switch box. If you get one of the adapters in the photo, you don't need to use a switch box. They're called F-plug to RCA adapters or somehing similar. They cost about $1 apiece in bulk, maybe $3 if you buy only one.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2265.JPG

#5 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,037 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:42 AM

Nope, Europe and Australia use the Belling-Lee connector for TV aerial, not the F one, so that adapter is useless there.

You'll need an adapter with a female rca on one end and a male Belling-Lee on the other (it can also be built using a short piece of coax cable and two in-line connectors).

Or, you can just cut the plug from the Atari and replace it with the proper one.

Then you have to tune the correct analog NTSC channel (you'll have to fiddle with the TV options to do that, as it will probably default to digital channels and, even after you switch to analog, to PAL TV system)

Edited by alex_79, Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:43 AM.

#6 Oztari OFFLINE  

Oztari

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:49 AM

Thanks Alex. Starting to think it might make sense to get a separate tele that I can keep tuned to the Atari. I'll look into how to tune to an analog NTSC channel. A visit to Jaycar is in order.

#7 boxpressed OFFLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• 2,657 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:45 AM

Ah, my mistake. Glad to know the difference.

#8 Oztari OFFLINE  

Oztari

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 PM

The more I read, the more I think I will use one of my other consoles to do the AV mod so I don't have to mess with my heavy sixers. I have a 2600A and a light sixer. Which one do you think I should do? Is there a graphics quality difference?

#9 Osgeld ONLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 4,318 posts

Posted Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 PM

personal opinion the A's are easier to work on, both have about the same quality after an av mod, I would maybe slightly lean to the A's in picture quality 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users