Atari 2600 chronogaming video project: Atari Archive

chronogaming

8 replies to this topic

#1 ubersaurus OFFLINE  

ubersaurus

Quadrunner

• 5,043 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:51 AM

Inspired by chronogaming projects about the NES, the Game Boy and other post-crash consoles, I kicked off a video series last month called Atari Archive over on youtube focused on the Atari 2600. It's the first video project I've actually done, but early gaming history is a topic I've been interested in since the 90s, and I'm excited to compile what info I can find (along with interviews from the creators when possible) about  each game on the 2600 library (or at least until I get sick of the whole thing). I'm pulling video directly from an unmodded 2600, through an RF demodulator to a Framemeister for that 720p/60fps Youtube video goodness. I figure that's as close as you can get to it looking like it does on a classic CRT on the site.

Take a look if you'd like! I'm attaching a link to the first to videos here, and will probably be updating as I produce new ones.

#2 up2knowgood OFFLINE  

up2knowgood

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:48 AM

Inspired by chronogaming projects about the NES, the Game Boy and other post-crash consoles, I kicked off a video series last month called Atari Archive over on youtube focused on the Atari 2600. It's the first video project I've actually done, but early gaming history is a topic I've been interested in since the 90s, and I'm excited to compile what info I can find (along with interviews from the creators when possible) about  each game on the 2600 library (or at least until I get sick of the whole thing). I'm pulling video directly from an unmodded 2600, through an RF demodulator to a Framemeister for that 720p/60fps Youtube video goodness. I figure that's as close as you can get to it looking like it does on a classic CRT on the site.
Take a look if you'd like! I'm attaching a link to the first to videos here, and will probably be updating as I produce new ones.

https://youtu.be/LNtI90yiOOU

https://youtu.be/0l0AQ5LuvQM

...please tell me you're going to do some third party games too.

#3 ubersaurus OFFLINE  

ubersaurus

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,043 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 AM

That's the plan, as soon as I make it through the 70s!

#4 Stewart_Pidd OFFLINE  

Stewart_Pidd

Star Raider

• 51 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:41 AM

Such a great idea. Not just highlights of the games themselves, but information from the creation of the games and the inner workings of the companies making the games. 

Great videos!

#5 up2knowgood OFFLINE  

up2knowgood

Chopper Commander

• 142 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:50 AM

That's the plan, as soon as I make it through the 70s!

Woohoo!

#6 kdgarris OFFLINE  

kdgarris

Chopper Commander

• 201 posts

Posted Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:52 PM

These are awesome so far!  I like how they are being done in chronological order.  I look forward to seeing more!

#7 vidak OFFLINE  

vidak

Chopper Commander

• 151 posts

Posted Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:52 AM

I'd love to help!

I can provide explanations from disassemblies about how the games work!

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

#8 ubersaurus OFFLINE  

ubersaurus

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,043 posts

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:36 AM

Just posted the third video - hoped to have it along sooner, but had some technical difficulties (the joy of working with 40 year old gear). 

#9 Rom Hunter OFFLINE  

Rom Hunter

VCS Games Archivist

• 8,654 posts
  • Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

Posted Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:31 PM

Keep up the good work, ubersaurus.

Really like the style of your videos.

8)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chronogaming

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users