IGNORED

Model 4 Floppy Drives Always On

polyex

I can hear my floppy drives running all the time whether I am accessing them or not. Everything reads fine from the drives but is the constant running normal?

I have a Model 4, the non gate array type. The drives on it don't run all the time so I don't think it's normal. What version of the Model 4 do you have?

I have the non-gate array.

OK, since I have no experience with the other models just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. The drive will continuously run when you first turn on the Model 4, unless you insert a DOS disk. It should also say Diskette? while it's running the bottom drive, searching for a readable disk.

You can bypass DOS operation by holding down the break key while turning on the power switch. You should see Cassette? Just hit enter and you should be in BASIC and the drive should no longer be running.

If you have a good DOS disk, once it loads, the drives will not normally run again until you access one of them or DOS needs to access them.