I'm planning to release my latest project, Draconian, at PRGE next month. Draconian is my take on the classic arcade game Bosconian (arcade screenshots from here).
Gameplay Video (note this has the old title graphic which was removed to free up space):
Bosconian was developed by Namco and released by Midway in the United States. Midway decided to make their own arrangement of levels, we wanted to have both so Draconian's been set up with Quadrants A, B, Γ, Δ, (alpha, beta, gamma, delta) where Alpha Quadrant is the Midway levels, Beta Quadrant is the Namco levels.
Gamma Quadrant is used as tribute to people involved with creating the game - check the radar (at the bottom between the score and lives remaining) in these screenshots.
That leaves Delta Quadrant, which has been set aside for 16 user submitted sectors. Some key bits of info about the contest, after which I'll go into how to create your sectors.
each contestant can submit a single build of Draconiansubmit as many as you like
- each build can contain up to 4 sectors (and all 4 could end up in the finished game)
- submissions must be in by
September 30thOctober 5th at midnight CST (sorry for the short deadline, Harvey put me behind schedule)
- if a sector causes the screen to jitter/roll then it will be disqualified (in other words, don't make it so all 8 stations appear onscreen at the same time)
- voting will take place the first week of October, ending on the 7th at midnight CST
- voting details to be worked out, will most likely include the stipulation that you cannot vote for your own sectors
- there will be prizes, details still being worked out
* sector 1 -4 -8 * player position v -1 -1 v -2 -2 v -3 -3 v -4 -4 v -5 -5 v -6 -6 v -7 -7 v -8 -8 * sector 2 -4 -8 * player position v -3 -8 v -5 -8 v -4 -7 v -4 -9 * sector 3 -4 -8 * player position h -3 -8 h -5 -8 h -4 -7 h -4 -9 * sector 4 110 118 * player position h 9 0 v 40 17 h 233 240 v 200 225 h 9 240 v 40 225 h 233 0 v 200 17
Allowable X and Y values are 0 to 255 to denote a position within the sector.
Additionally you can use -1 to -8 for the X value and -1 to -16 for the Y value. These values refer to the radar pixel locations and will be converted to the appropriate 0-255 value to light up a specific radar pixel. In radar pixels -1 -1 denotes the top-left corner while -8 -16 is the bottom right.
For the stations the Orientation is H for Horizontal and V for Vertical. The orientation denotes which direction the E-Type missiles will be launched from the station.
Blank lines and anything following an * will be ignored.
Once you've created your text file you'll use the program dracsec to patch the Draconian ROM with your sectors. Download the appropriate version for your system. 64 bit builds:
dracsec_linux.zip 8.08KB 15 downloads
dracsec_mac.zip 7.04KB 14 downloads
dracsec_win.zip 43.76KB 29 downloads
32 bit builds:
dracsec_win32.zip 37.87KB 6 downloads
dracsec.linux32.zip 324.24KB 6 downloads
current ROM for draconian - USE THIS ONE FOR YOUR ENTRY:
draconian_20170929.bin 32KB 21 downloads
draconian_20170924.bin 32KB 12 downloads
draconian_20170923.bin 32KB 8 downloads
draconian_20170920.bin 32KB 7 downloads
draconian_20170913.bin 32KB 19 downloads
put them all in the same directory as your text file. You'll need to open up a terminal window or command prompt then run dracsec to patch draconian.
For Linux & Mac:
./dracsec draconian.bin sectors.txt
dracsec draconian.bin sectors.txt
Do note that dracsec will only work with builds of Draconian dated 20170913 through 20170930, and that your submission will need to be created using a later version of draconian (I'll specify the build to use later, for now use 20170913 to playtest your sectors yourself - don't forget to change QUADRANT to Δ!). When you post your submissions append your username to the file so we know who created it and which version of the game was used. If I were to submit one I'd submit it as draconian_20170913_SpiceWare.bin