IGNORED

Next hardware project: snes2joy

ivop

• 2 weeks later...

Progress: (first fully build prototype)

post-20947-0-54318200-1511790746.png

The "SEGA" Extension cables arrived and they suffice for the job! Used the prototype housing (and ugly screws, I know) and had to fill the screw holes with plastimake to make the 3mm screws fit :) That'll be fixed in the final version. Just wanted to let you know that I'm still working on this alongside the MIDI interface.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ivop,

great project you do! And awesome retro design.

One question. Will it be compatible to that kind of interface?

https://www.play-asia.com/retro-receiver-for-snes/13/70a2f9

If so, then your adapter would open a whole lot more devices for use with the Atari.

I always dreamed to use wireless PS3 or PS4 controllers. Sitting relaxed on the couch while the Atari is somewhere on the other side of the living room connected to a large TV set :)

greetings,

\twh

• Like 1

Hi twh,

I expect this to work out of the box as the retro receiver should work with a(n) SNES and the snes2joy emulates this interface/protocol. There might be small timing differences, but if that's the case, this could be fixed in firmware. It does add one extra layer of latency, but this should be no more than a few scan lines, so well within one frame.

I have ordered one for testing. Also, I borrowed a few 7800 games this afternoon, so I'll be looking into 7800 2-button mode.

regards,

ivo

Nah, they didn't.

You can't patent an already excisting connector......after all it's just a modified De-9 plug (without the metal shield).

Commodore was the first to steal it so they could and definitely would have sued them IF they could but they knew they couldn't.

But I fear we're derailing the thread :):)

Atari Inc did sue Commodore for slapping the Commodore logo on joysticks and paddles that looked exactly like Atari's...

On the subject of 2-Fire Button Games... You'd probably want to make a list of 5200 games that used 2 fire buttons and then use the ROMs of the "back ports" that Glenn the 5200 Man did who converted them to work on Atari 8-bits.

Another option would be to use the Paddle Lines to add 2 more fire button possibilities so you'd have 3-fire buttons at your disposal. That's what Dan Kramer & Co. did back at Atari Consumer Engineering for their custom-built Trak-Balls so they could play 3-Base Missile Command on their Atari computers. It was never commercially released but myself and some others were able to play it at the Davis Atari Party a couple of years ago. If you supported such a scheme, it might be compelling enough for some of the talented folks here to hack certain games to support the extra fire buttons.

• Like 1

@lynxpro, that's already possible. Currently there are three modes:

// Compatibility Mode:
// -------------------
//
// D-Pad maps to Up/Down/Left/Right
//
// (L) and (R) on top map to Up and Down
//
// All other buttons map to Fire
//
// POTA can have eight different values depending on Select/Y/B
// POTB can have eight different values depending on X/A/Start

// Endless Stream Mode:
// --------------------
//
// Trigger clocked stream of nibbles
//
// TRIG High    --> joystick port reads Up/Down/Left/Right
// TRIG Low     --> joystick port reads B/Y/A/X
//
// High and Low periods are approximately 210 us (0.21 ms)
//
// POTA and POTB go down (i.e. lower than 228) on Select and Start respectively

// Button hold during power-up or after Device Reset:
//
// None         Compatibility Mode
// A            Compatibility Mode, but only A triggers Fire
// B            Endless Stream Mode, Trigger clocked

• Like 2