Sega game gear screen help

Sega game gear

19 replies to this topic

#1 R.wilko OFFLINE  

R.wilko

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:39 AM

Hi. I have a sega game gear that I replaced the capacitors in but It still seems to have a screen issue. The screen seems to show colour in the vertical lines and is as if the horizontal aren't working but I'm not sure. Apart from this the gg is working fine again with a bright screen and good audio board so any ideas on how I can sort the screen are appreciated!

#2 -^CrožBow^- OFFLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,182 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:45 AM

Can you attach a picture of the screen on your GG? Would help better to show what you are describing?

#3 R.wilko OFFLINE  

R.wilko

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:18 PM

I attached the picture like you asked. I just hope there's a way to fix this because this my second game gear with a screen problem. First was cracked so couldn't be fixed

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#4 -^CrožBow^- OFFLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,182 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:05 AM

Not totally sure what to make of that other than it appears it isn't able to ready any of the cartridge data? Similar to how a 2600 or 7800 game looks when it comes up due to a dirty cart or cart connector. If really good scrubbings of the cartridge don't yield better results, then it looks like something has failed internally on the GG in regards to the LCD driver.

#5 R.wilko OFFLINE  

R.wilko

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:41 AM

Thanks I've tried two games with the same results of sound and no picture so il try cleaning the connector on the gg itself and if that fails I have another gg with a cracked screen so would you suggest trying to swap the screens?

#6 Osgeld ONLINE  

Osgeld

River Patroller

• 4,137 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:51 AM

I wouldn't try

#7 R.wilko OFFLINE  

R.wilko

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 AM

Ok any other suggestions then I tried a clean on both the games and connector and not much change though it did seem to get brighter

#8 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Tue Oct 3, 2017 8:10 AM

Swapping the screen to another of the original screens can be tough if you don't have the correct tools. Usually when I have seen issues like that in the past it has been an issue with the driver or from left over cap residue that damaged other components. If you are dead set on using that system and don't mind losing the portability, you could consolize it was a GameGear TV mod. However if your issue is more than just the LCD driver, then you might still have an issue. Do you have any pictures of your recapped board?

#9 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• 5,272 posts

Posted Tue Oct 3, 2017 10:15 PM

Or get McWill LCD mod. But first check and double check for missed leaked cap residue and damaged vias. 

McWill LCD mod replaces the stock LCD complete with a modern LCD but they are over $100 and does require a bit of wiring to complete the mod.

#10 R.wilko OFFLINE  

R.wilko

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:07 AM

I have this picture for now. I'm out so il take a better quality one later. Thanks for the suggestions but I eould prefere to keep it portable but if it's not possible then I might look into the home console idea

#11 R.wilko OFFLINE  

R.wilko

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Wed Oct 4, 2017 4:14 AM

Forget to attach the picture!

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#12 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Wed Oct 4, 2017 8:37 AM

Yeah it's hard to tell with the picture quality. How did you clean the board when it was recapped and did you clean the entire board or just the area around the pads?

#13 R.wilko OFFLINE  

R.wilko

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Wed Oct 4, 2017 10:31 AM

To be honest I didn't do much apart from desolder the old ones and put brand new ones in, I can see that I should have cleaned the areas now but there wasn't any visable leakage when I took the old ones out. If you think this could be it then I have no issues desoldering the caps and giving the board a clean. Also try to ignore the strange angles of some of these caps I just thought they would be easier to solder like that.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

#14 R.wilko OFFLINE  

R.wilko

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Wed Oct 4, 2017 10:33 AM

It's probably worth saying that the contacts look a lot worse in the picture than in person.

#15 -^CrožBow^- OFFLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,182 posts

Posted Wed Oct 4, 2017 3:30 PM

I would double check all of your capacitor lead legs and clip them all down to as close to the pad and solder joint you made as possible. As an example, the cap you show in the pic above for C46 looks like it could be shorting against the other traces just after the contact pads. So yeah, make sure you don't have something shorting against something else.

#16 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• 5,272 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:02 AM

C39 one leg doesn't look like it's soldered on the pad.  The next one above looks like there's extra wires coming from somewhere.

#17 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 7:01 AM

I agree with the previous comments. Clip down the legs as close as you can. Either you had leakage or you managed to burn a number of areas. C85 looks like one leg is not attached and like the pads are gone. C48 looks like there is some kind of damage, like burns, to a number of traces under the legs. C44 and C45 look like there is lots of damage on the pads and surrounding area.

When dealing with potentially leaking electrolytic capacitors, you should always give the board a really good wash with the strongest IPA you can get. At least 91%, but higher is even better. The dielectric is incredibly corrosive and it won't take long to eat through parts of your board. The other part is that some of this honestly looks like burns. What type of iron/tip were you using?

#18 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 10:16 PM

This is a dead game gear I fixed tonight. Maybe it will provide you with some assistance by having something to compare.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171005_232015.jpg

#19 R.wilko OFFLINE  

R.wilko

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 12:18 AM

Il redo all the soldering and shorten the legs when I get chance then, thanks for the suggestions!

#20 mobiusstriptech OFFLINE  

mobiusstriptech

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:00 AM

No problem. I would bet that at least part of your problem is just poor connection. Looking at some of your pads again, it definitely looks like a few of them might not be making connection down the line. Although it's still possible that the driver is bad.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sega game gear

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users