Photo

Floppy Emu on a 2c

5 replies to this topic

#1 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• 2,740 posts

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:44 PM

So as far as I can tell, the Floppy Emu is pretty much worthless with a Apple //c on rom v3.  My only thought is to use disk copy to copy files from the floppy emu to a real blank 5 1/4" disk and run from there.  Seems like it should work if the games aren't heavily protected.

Anyone else have good solutions?

I've heard there's some jumper you can add to make it boot to the external floppy drive, but I haven't found any directions.  Anyone try this?

#2 Polymorph OFFLINE  

Polymorph

Space Invader

• 28 posts

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:50 PM

So as far as I can tell, the Floppy Emu is pretty much worthless with a Apple //c on rom v3.  My only thought is to use disk copy to copy files from the floppy emu to a real blank 5 1/4" disk and run from there.  Seems like it should work if the games aren't heavily protected.

Anyone else have good solutions?

I've heard there's some jumper you can add to make it boot to the external floppy drive, but I haven't found any directions.  Anyone try this?

Sounds like you need this:

https://github.com/mgcaret/rom4x

#3 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,740 posts

Posted Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:02 PM

Sounds like you need this:

https://github.com/mgcaret/rom4x

Oooh, that looks perfect!

#4 towmater OFFLINE  

towmater

Moonsweeper

• 425 posts

Posted Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:06 AM

"Now you will need a 65C02 cross assembler. The current codebase is developed using ca65 from the cc65 project. (Note: The code was developed originally using xa).

Finally you will need Ruby and Rake."

I gather fear of the wrath of Apple has prevented the author from providing the ROM directly?

#5 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,740 posts

Posted Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:14 AM

"Now you will need a 65C02 cross assembler. The current codebase is developed using ca65 from the cc65 project. (Note: The code was developed originally using xa).

Finally you will need Ruby and Rake."

I gather fear of the wrath of Apple has prevented the author from providing the ROM directly?

Maybe, but if an enterprising individual were to offer a rom for sale at a nominal fee I suspect I'd be inclined to take advantage.

#6 thorr OFFLINE  

thorr

Chopper Commander

• 158 posts

Posted Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:07 PM

I have the Floppy Emu on my Apple 2c and it is AWESOME.  What I did was purchase the Apple Disk Drive A/B Switch and Cable and ran a floppy cable from the internal floppy connector through the back aux/monitor port above the port connector and below the plastic, connected it to the switch, and back to the internal drive.  Then I also connected the Floppy Emu to the switch, and I can very easily switch between the internal drive and the Floppy Emu.  If I want to use it in Smart Port mode, I move it to the external floppy connector on the back with the provided adapter.  It meets all of my needs.  For the cables running through the back, they are both longer, and on the Floppy Emu I used the short internal one that came with the IIc.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users