IGNORED

XL/XE Power Supply

hueyjones70

Any snall 5V USB charger that has an output of 1.5A or more! Hack a cable together using a DIN7 Connector on the computer end, pinout here: http://www.mixinc.net/atari/pinouts/powerxle.htm

Double check with a voltmeter though to ensure you get the 3 shared power pins vs the 3 shared GND pins polarity correct.

I bought one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQR5L1C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And 2 of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ERJIA42/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cut the midi cable in half and wire the individual leads into the wires of the adapter and now you have 2 modern power supplies for 800xl and newer computers.

(Make sure you triple-check each pin to make sure it is connected correctly. Use a volt meter!)

Todd

• Like 2

Always avoid the cheaper AC switching power adapters out there, especially ones that come with USB hubs.

I've said it before. The real crappy stuff are house fires waiting to happen, they lack the proper filtering and are full of garbage quality capacitors that can short out or explode. If you value your life and your Atari, spend the extra bucks.

Edited by shoestring
  • Like 3

Here are the standard Atari North American power supplies (photo is from B&C ('myatari' on eBay). I have doctored it to more obviously call out the dreaded Ingot - it's one of the smallest but also likely to fail hot and take out your computer with it.

attachicon.gifXL Power Supplies.jpg

I just went through ALL of my Atari stuff for the first time in quite some time. Wow, I had (and have continued) to accumulate a lot more than I thought I had !!

Anyway, I have 3 of these notorious Ingots. Of course I know better than to actually use them, but is there any reason to keep these things around at all ? I hate to throw away anything Atari.

-Eric

I just went through ALL of my Atari stuff for the first time in quite some time. Wow, I had (and have continued) to accumulate a lot more than I thought I had !!

Anyway, I have 3 of these notorious Ingots. Of course I know better than to actually use them, but is there any reason to keep these things around at all ? I hate to throw away anything Atari.

It's been said before but I'll say it again. Three ingots also mean three very well made 7 pin DIN cables with connector already attached.

Cut the cable off nice and long on the Atari side. One wire will be for +5vdc positive, the other negative ground. Pins 1, 4 and 6 are already properly wired as positive.

Pins 3, 5, and 7 are ground. Strip and splice the two appropriate wires to + and - wires of a modern 5vdc switching power supply and you have a much safer power source for 600/800XL/65/130XE.

A cell phone charger or USB power supply is a good choice, anything 5volts DC at 2amps or higher will supply the Atari's requirements. Just make sure to get the polarity correct.

On the two cords I have used, the white striped wire is positive.

I refer you back to post #2 of this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/270231-xlxe-power-supply/?do=findComment&comment=3852545

The left over ingots make good decorative door stops. They seem huge when compared to the palm sized switching units we have today.

Edit: I will confess that I have kept one ingot in stock working order for purpose of historic preservation and because it came with my first Atari. :)

Edited by RodLightning