Photo

A simple battle game! Jukes Battle - Atari 2600 Edition.

homebrew action versus

16 replies to this topic

#1 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 PM

The game I have developed in bB is complete!  The compressed binary is up on here: GAMEJOLT

Remember, its under Jukes Battle - Atari 2600 Edition!

It is free for a limited time.

EDIT: I think you guys need pictures...

Attached Thumbnails

• jukesii2600.bas_11.png
  • jukesii2600.bas_1.png

Edited by GradiusLover2000, Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:36 PM.

#2 Albert ONLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• 34,042 posts

Posted Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:55 PM

Your link does not work.

#3 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:57 PM

Gosh darnit me and my typos!  It should work now.

#4 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:38 PM

HUGE GAME UPDATE!!! A special missile tile can slow down your enemy when you collect it (no button required!)!

#5 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:13 PM

ANOTHER HUGE GAME UPDATE!!!
Ghost repellent collectables and 7 lives per player added!

#6 RamrodHare OFFLINE  

RamrodHare

Moonsweeper

• 404 posts
  • Lost in Time.

Posted Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:52 PM

Thanks for putting in the work on this! :thumbsup:

I notice some other games on your page.

Any info on what those are?

Since they may also be of interest. :grin:

#7 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:24 PM

Thanks for putting in the work on this! :thumbsup:
 I notice some other games on your page.
Any info on what those are?
Since they may also be of interest. :grin:

Well, as it turns out, the game was originally for windows 32-bit! You can play any of those versions, too if you want; if you have the money. The current price on the fullest version (includes music, fonts, and 256 levels with possible powerups) is $1.49 USD. Edit: this version is called Jukes - Redux.
The older atari version (that doesn't have the word "battle" in it) is the same style as jukes redux, except 32 levels, no music, and no sprite acceleration.

Edited by GradiusLover2000, Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:33 PM.

#8 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,173 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 PM

It is free for a limited time.

If you are going to charge money for it, you might want to put some more work into it. Polish it up.

#9 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:50 AM

If you are going to charge money for it, you might want to put some more work into it. Polish it up.

Any recommendations?
EDIT: I AM ADDING SOUND AT SOME POINT, JUST NOT SURE WHAT KINDS.

Edited by GradiusLover2000, Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:02 AM.

#10 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,173 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:18 AM

Any recommendations?
EDIT: I AM ADDING SOUND AT SOME POINT, JUST NOT SURE WHAT KINDS.

Besides adding sound effects, you could limit where the player can go. For example, the player can go off the top or bottom of the screen and disappear sometimes. The game could display the current score and high score at the end. You could have some kind of title screen. The sprites could be animated. The color orange used for the playfield pixels doesn't look that great on the gray background that you've chosen. You could try this tool that can help you find colors that might look great on top of each other:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tia-color-charts.html#ntsc_color_tool

#11 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:31 AM

Besides adding sound effects, you could limit where the player can go. For example, the player can go off the top or bottom of the screen and disappear sometimes. The game could display the current score and high score at the end. You could have some kind of title screen. The sprites could be animated. The color orange used for the playfield pixels doesn't look that great on the gray background that you've chosen. You could try this tool that can help you find colors that might look great on top of each other:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tia-color-charts.html#ntsc_color_tool

You're looking at the wrong game, silly ;) the game is Jukes Battle, not just Jukes. That version you are talking about i lost the source code for :(

#12 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 28,173 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:37 AM

You're looking at the wrong game, silly ;) the game is Jukes Battle, not just Jukes. That version you are talking about i lost the source code for :(

Yeah, I was looking at the wrong one. Most of the things I mentioned could still apply, though. If you are going to use that yellowish background, the sprites should probably be a little darker.

#13 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:52 AM

Yeah, I was looking at the wrong one. Most of the things I mentioned could still apply, though. If you are going to use that yellowish background, the sprites should probably be a little darker.

Yeah, I'll darken the sprites. I'm going to leave out the title screen because back in the 80s a two player game on the atari didn't have one (Combat, for example). And then there's animation; i'll add some of that for the ghosts, too, and probably make the actual player 12 or so pixels high to incorporate a body animation, but other than that i will probably also add a "winner:" screen.

#14 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:38 AM

Okay, so I did as much as I could to polish it!  Its is now an 8k rom with 32 maps to choose from before you battle!  The game is no longer free, and will now cost $1.79

#15 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 AM

Next I am planning on a single player mode. You would do so by using the right difficulty switch, and the left difficulty one i'd probably use to select the slowing pellet's availability.

#16 gauauu OFFLINE  

gauauu

Moonsweeper

• 315 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:44 PM

Okay, so I did as much as I could to polish it!  Its is now an 8k rom with 32 maps to choose from before you battle!  The game is no longer free, and will now cost $1.79

You're welcome to charge whatever you'd like.  But there's enough half-finished, mediocre bB games out there, that a game without a demo or screenshots, from a relatively unknown developer, isn't likely to get a lot of purchases. 

Good luck though.

#17 GradiusLover2000 OFFLINE  

GradiusLover2000

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:25 PM

You're welcome to charge whatever you'd like.  But there's enough half-finished, mediocre bB games out there, that a game without a demo or screenshots, from a relatively unknown developer, isn't likely to get a lot of purchases. 

Good luck though.

Thanks for the idea!  A free demo (mapless version of the same game, actually...) is now on the same site link for those who are skeptical to buy it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homebrew, action, versus

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users