IGNORED

600xl video stopped working-help

Kaiju

So. Grounds keepers here don't have a meter of size that I can borrow. However. I got a decent deal on another power supply. It's the white top left one in the picture. Bonus is it comes with a 800xl. Unclear on the condition but I will follow up

• Like 3

So my new 800xl and power supply came in. Tested the 600 it still wasn't showing video till I flipped on the 1050. I noticed a flicker on the screen. Powered down then back and ended up at the test screen. Ran a memory test and noticed a few red blocks, not too sure what that means atm.

The 800xl btw seams to work perfectly

Different behavior with the 600XL when using another power supply suggests a power issue is/was at fault. If you are still inclined to tinker with it, the memory chips (small 18 pin) are at sockets U11 and U12. Having only two memory chips to worry about on a 600XL is a plus compared to eight individual ram chips on the 800XL. Fewer points of failure in that regard.

Glad to hear you are up and running with a 800XL and 1050. It's a much better machine and opens the door to the vast majority of Atari 8 bit software.

Was thinking about tinkering with the 600 a bit just so I can resell it. Here or eBay considering I have the box for it. As far as the 800 can I connected it to my crt via component? I see a monitor out input

You mean 800XL, right? The 800 is a different model. But yes, the monitor jack will do composite right out of the box with the right cable. For S-video, you'll need to mod the machine. That Chroma line is not connected in the 800XL (it is connected in the 800 and in the XE models that followed the XL's).

Sounds good. Thanks for the pointers again guys.

Odd issue with the 800xl. A good

Portion of the left side of the screen is cut off, this tv doesn't have a vertical hold control. Is there any way to fix that? This is via RF, while waiting for component to come in

Different behavior with the 600XL when using another power supply suggests a power issue is/was at fault. If you are still inclined to tinker with it, the memory chips (small 18 pin) are at sockets U11 and U12. Having only two memory chips to worry about on a 600XL is a plus compared to eight individual ram chips on the 800XL. Fewer points of failure in that regard.

Glad to hear you are up and running with a 800XL ...... It's a much better machine.

Excuse me ?

- Less RAM ICs = Less risk of trouble

- three wires is all it takes to mod it from 16k to 64k, making it equal to the 800XL, except it is a lot smaller, less space on the desk = good. I'm from Europe, smaller = better.

- ALL chips are socketed right down to the tiny audio amp IC.

Sadly....the US 600XL lacks a monitor out....OK...that is one big failure from Atari...it can be retrofitted, but it's a lot of tedious work.......long live the PAL 600XL :)

• Like 1

Yup, NTSC 600XL is a pain in the ass. I concede that it can be the perfect Atari 8 bit, but the burden is on the end user to "fix" the issues.

My first Atari computer was a 600XL. No monitor output and 16k memory caused me much frustration as a youth. I had it for two years in that state until I was old enough to learn and upgrade the ram myself. Earliest memories include failing to load some tape games with my 410 recorder due to lack of ram and having to use a VCR tuner to get a better picture.

I still love the compact little machines, but am happy to have upgraded to a 800XL years later.

• Like 1

Sadly....the US 600XL lacks a monitor out....OK...that is one big failure from Atari...it can be retrofitted, but it's a lot of tedious work.......long live the PAL 600XL :)

Another easy (less obtrusive) way is to just the inexpensive 2N2222 transistor and 2/3 resistor(s) mod. Gives composite A/V out and way better than the RF. As good as the DIN retrofit? Eh..., but definitely works and less trouble.

600XL NTSC with composite out...

post-61269-0-87938300-1507257307_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-68314500-1507257321_thumb.jpg

post-61269-0-83062000-1507257236_thumb.jpg

• Like 2