Tutorvision games - Interest check

207 replies to this topic

#201 intvdave OFFLINE  

intvdave

Dragonstomper

• 701 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 AM

Thanks, that's what I thought.
Would be nice if it was....as I organized the dumping of the 1st 2 games and the console bios so they all could be made available to everyone. :)

I do not know AA ids so I do not know who you are but it was my dumper that dumped the 2 games. I also know others that were involved in making this happen. Please private IM me. I am curious what involvement you had / who you are.

#202 First Spear OFFLINE  

First Spear

Stargunner

• 1,140 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 PM

It would be cool (?) to have some kind of detection that could be done in/through IntyBASIC so a subtle change could be made to font or graphics in some way....

Hmm, StudioVision will spot the existence of the extra GRAM in a TutorVision and switch to full screen mode, does this mean it is the first Tutorvision specific homebrew?

[snip]

#203 freewheel OFFLINE  

freewheel

River Patroller

• 2,993 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:42 PM

It would be cool (?) to have some kind of detection that could be done in/through IntyBASIC so a subtle change could be made to font or graphics in some way....

Checking for the extra GRAM *should* be as simple as writing to the expanded RAM, and seeing if the value persists. Try a POKE to $400, then a PEEK. See what you get :)

#204 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,183 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:13 PM

Checking for the extra GRAM *should* be as simple as writing to the expanded RAM, and seeing if the value persists. Try a POKE to $400, then a PEEK. See what you get :)

Detecting the extra GRAM is almost that simple.  There are 3 known configurations out there:

• Normal Intellivision or normal Intellivision II GRAM: 0.5KB located at $3800-$39FF and mirrored at $3A00-$3BFF, $3C00-$3DFF, $3E00-$3FFF
  • Modified Intellivision II GRAM: 1KB located $3800-$3BFF and mirrored at $3C00-$3FFF.  I'm only aware of JZ performing this modification as a one-off experiment.
  • Tutorvision GRAM: 2KB located at $3800-$3FFF

A IntyBASIC program could POKE the values 4, 2, 1 into memory locations $3E00, $3A00, $3800, respectively and in that order.  Then it would PEEK the value at memory located $3E00:

• 4 -> 2KB GRAM (Tutorvision)
  • 2 -> 1KB GRAM (modified Intellivision II)
  • 1 -> 0.5KB GRAM (normal Intellivision or normal Intellivision II)

At least that's my understanding from the documentation.  I could be wrong.

#205 freewheel OFFLINE  

freewheel

River Patroller

• 2,993 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:33 PM

Right. I was thinking of the expanded system RAM, not GRAM. And I goofed anyway - $400 gets used by the Inty 2 EXEC. Not sure what the behaviour is there, if you try what I suggested :P

#206 Lathe26 OFFLINE  

Lathe26

River Patroller

• 3,183 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:07 PM

I and David Harley dumped the roms of 3 tutorvision games:

- Geo Graphics
- Map Mazes
- Shapes In Space

We could produce these games with box, manual and all, BUT they would work only on tutorvision consoles and on some (not all) of Super Pro System consoles.

So, they would be mainly pieces for collectors (but could be played on emulator on pc).

If we do it, anyone would buy them?

Alessandro

Throwing WAAAAAAY back to the original post, it might be worth considering whether to sell the games in original and/or with 1/2 the WBEXEC merged with it (or offer a bootup menu to select between the two).  Not sure if this helps or only will add customer confusion.  Just thinking out loud here...

#207 freewheel OFFLINE  

freewheel

River Patroller

• 2,993 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:11 PM

Throwing WAAAAAAY back to the original post, it might be worth considering whether to sell the games in original and/or with 1/2 the WBEXEC merged with it (or offer a bootup menu to select between the two).  Not sure if this helps or only will add customer confusion.  Just thinking out loud here...

Bootup menu. I'm willing to bet that there are more TutorPros out there than Tutorvisions :)

#208 freewheel OFFLINE  

freewheel

River Patroller

• 2,993 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:22 PM

The last techie test I ran was the ROM from Test Cart version 4.1b (the MTE-201 test cart has an older version 3).

Summary: Tests fail, but isn't surprising.

The 4.1b cart has a cool feature where it tries to identify the system it is on. In the lower left, "O2" is displayed. This value changes based on what system you run it on. The values I've seen there are:

• M1 - original Intellivision EXEC
  • M2 - Intellivision II EXEC (going from my memory, I'm 99% confident)
  • O1 - Sears Intellivision EXEC
  • O2 - my Tutor Pro (hmmm...)

Since we're bringing back old posts...

You get O2 on an INTV2 EXEC as well. Which is kinda interesting that your TutorPro gives the same result. I guess it's seeing stuff loaded at $2000 and just going with it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users