IGNORED

Arcade to Jaguar ports you would like to see.

SlidellMan

That's almost like a very unsubtle advert for someone who's doing a rewrite of the 3d mode of their game to feature zombies.

You know I think I will back* Jeffrey on this. Considering he is trying to make a dream a reality.

*I hope to God he takes his time this time. Really puts himself into this one with all the love he can muster. Waits at least a month after the last bug report is in to make sure all is well.

...'cause his track record so far has been immaculate....I mean there's really no telling what's gonna happen this time.....or you're a glutton for punishment.

...wait wait, maybe you dig the "2600 mode" literally "thrown in" last-minute style.... dunno "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me three times ...."

I don't know what any of you are talking about. lol But it is entertaining! Carry on nothing to see here...... I feel like listening to some Rob Zombie (SuperBeast) while working on.... uh... art stuff. Yeah I got an art project to go do. :)

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

N38Iwfr.png

S1FU2qK.png

Seems legit.

You should really stop bringing in these things .... what are they called? .... oh right, facts!!!!

Stop bringing in the facts, those things tends to ruin his narrative.

Shameless doesn't even begin to describe the individual, next thing we know he's still in cahoot with the other one, the lunatic.

• Like 4

You should really stop bringing in these things .... what are they called? .... oh right, facts!!!!

Stop bringing in the facts, those things tends to ruin his narrative.

No, according to another well respected member here, facts mean I hate everyone. Dang facts!! BRB I gotta go huff some Jag fumes and post about Daytona on the Jag. Which is 100% possible, just like Tomb Raider.

• Like 2

No, according to another well respected member here, facts mean I hate everyone. Dang facts!! BRB I gotta go huff some Jag fumes and post about Daytona on the Jag. Which is 100% possible, just like Tomb Raider.

Hey now, I'm not allowed to be a smart ass? Then again I'm not well respected so you could be talking about someone else.

Given the general area and its history... you'd have to be more specific on 'the other lunatic'

Sad, but true :/

You called the piece of work (and I am using my 4 letter words cautiously here) an "it" ... like if it was a tool (another cautious use of a 4 letter word) or something.

The "other" would be RAMR .... JB stated on separate occasions after separate incidents that he was done collaborating with him only to be found red-handed on the very next announcement of such and such glorious next project of his .... I don't know if they are still bedfellows or otherwise just that it would not surprise me given that whatever he states here (and I mean almost anything and everything) turned out to be, shall we say, less than faithful.

• Like 3

Hey guys, I feel like I started some bad blood here which is not what I want. I have only been around the Jaguar community for a little while now, so I don't know what kind of frustrations or irritations you've put up with over the years. I apologize for the smart ass comments when it comes to threads like this, I'll try and keep that in mind in the future.

STUN Runner. Flat shaded / light sourced polys, arcade ROM is only ~720 kB. Perfect(ish) arcade port (sans odd arcade resolution) could be done in about 1mB, add some funky feedback effects (ala Minter), cool soundtrack, improved gameplay enhancements for a "2K" mode....ahh, that'd have been great. Minter mentioned he'd have liked to have done, pre his Major Havoc 2K idea for the Jag...either Major Havoc or I Robot could've been phenomenal on the Jag if they were played to the machine's strengths.

Virtua Racing or Virtua Fighter Remix if the Sega deal had've panned out and not gone south. Could've gone part way to remove the bad taste of the obvious games that Atari tried and failed to ape.

And, after seeing the video on page 1 of this thread, Tattoo Assassins all the way. I don't care how crap it is, it would've left Kasumi Ninja and Way of the Warrior in it's dust. It looks so awful it's great.

Or the fact that there isn't anybody who's actually able to port all of those games and is willing to do so. But that's a minor detail compared to the trackball controls issue.

Cmon now, you know how ill received logical thinking is around here. You are crushing dreams, man!!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

STUN Runner. Flat shaded / light sourced polys, arcade ROM is only ~720 kB. Perfect(ish) arcade port (sans odd arcade resolution) could be done in about 1mB, add some funky feedback effects (ala Minter), cool soundtrack, improved gameplay enhancements for a "2K" mode....ahh, that'd have been great.

What "odd" arcade resolution ? I checked this vid and it looked to me like standard 320x200 (or similar, it didn't stand out as low or high res) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6CPtjyr19M

Not sure what actually takes up 720 KB there. The tracks are 3D, so they take 4 KB at most (each, and there looks to be about 4-5 different ones), and are cloned through game. From quick glance though, it looks there's a lot of 2D backgrounds, so it's probably those (and voice samples) that take up majority of 720 KB.

I'd argue that with procedurally generated backgrounds in code, this shouldn't really take up more than 128 KB. But, no point of those space savings on jag, as the smallest cart is 2 MB anyway, eh ?

The outdoor sections could oscillate between 30-60 fps, as the track covers about 33-40% of screen, so fillrate wouldn't be a big deal.

The indoor tunnel however is 100% fullscreen, so there the framerate would inevitably fall to about 20-30 fps (mostly 20).

Since the original looks like it's roughly 16 colors for the track, we could speed up rasterizing on jag by switching to 4-bit (e.g. 16 colors) color scheme for the track, which would effectively double the pixel filling throughput compared to 8-bit (e.g. 256 colors). I'd keep the 3D objects at 256 colors (OP can handle easily different bit depths of bitmaps), as they are quite small on screen, so the fillrate performance difference (8-bit vs 4-bit) would be negligible. That should bring the indoor section to 30-60 fps (mostly 30) too.

Jag could actually pull this game at rock-solid 60 fps, if we had a 3D engine that would also use DSP for 3D engine (just of course, not fight for Blitter with GPU on each and every scanline) and work fully in parallel with GPU by SW rasterizing. But, that would be quite a bitch to code, as realistically, if we left track rendering on GPU+Blitter, and DSP handle 3D enemies, the DSP would be done looong before GPU would be done (and I don't think a fullscreen tunnel can finish within one vblank). So, DSP would have to be able to also do a partial track rendering (just without Blitter).

Possible, just totally unrealistic, as the coding effort is quite substantial...

What was the original HW it ran on? Feels like a pair of Motorola CPUs. At times it feels like it's waaaay below 10 fps....

https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9393

Technical

Uses a TMS34010 for polygon rendering, along with a ADSP2100, 68010, and Motorola 6502. Uses a Yamaha YM-2151 for sound.

That was a very informative link, thanks ! I admit I didn't know till now, but clearly our jaguar is basically just an archaic arcade set-up in a small home form factor.

Kinda like what Atari wanted to do with PAM / Atari 5200 (e.g. provide arcade experience at home), just got surprised by Colecovision at the June CES and had to scramble 3 months before release...

TMS34010 corresponds to jag's GPU

ADSP2100 corresponds to jag's DSP

68010 corresponds to jag's 68000

6502 is even a bonus !

Frequencies are different, of course (it was 1989), but the architecture applies.

TMS even has dedicated circuits to scanline filling, so it's basically also a simplified Blitter, as one instruction (FILL) can fill lines/rectangles with clipping (instead of complex multi-instruction loops, as on jag's GPU/DSP) - extremely useful for flatshading.

Funny, I didn't notice it in the YT video :)

Thanks!

I wonder who made the decision to try to push 60% more pixels (512/320=1.6). Probably some manager who never saw the game in action :)

At those frequencies of those chips, I'm sure it made quite a performance difference. Hell, 60% more pixels makes a world of performance difference even on jaguar, and those puppies are clocked at 26.6 MHz...

No way you could play this thing for 15 minutes and not get a brutal headache from the framerate...

Only VladR can watch a YT video and become an expert about the technology behind a game and the management choices behind its development. It's truly amazing work he does here.

I thought that's called "crystal-balling" or if you are a fan of Lord of the Rings "palantir-ing" or also "palanti-ring" (one of the 9 for men I presume).