IGNORED

Comparison of Game (Storage/Loading) Cartridges?

Larry

Is there a comparison matrix or list that shows the features of the many different storage cartridges that exist?

There are quite a few, and it gets confusing as to which does what. AFAIK, the most flexible are the Ultimate Cart and the UNO Cart. (?)

-Larry

Unfortunately the very cool, and rather excellent MyIDE ][ interface is not mentioned in this list.

I know it is not perfect, but it offers some pretty neat features.

I absolutely agree with you -- it is quite flexible, especially since it makes a fine portable HD. And it's interesting that when I was first thinking about the storage aspects, I thought of the SIDE2, but didn't think about the MyIDE II. Probably because I mostly use mine with MyDos as a HD.

-Larry

-

Advantages of MyIDE 2 over SIDE 2

1) MyIDE 2 runs also some kind of ROM files. All XEGS carts are available as R16 file

2) MyIDE 2 has 512K Sram which acts like a real cart. One can develop it's own cart software using this part of the MyIDE 2 cart.

3) MyIDE 2 has also 512K Flash ram which one can fill with all kind of stuff (like tools, OS, SDX etc.)

4) MyIDE 2 comes with an OS replacement which adds all kind of features to the a8; soft and hard. The hard version of the OS is extremely compatible and adds all kind of extra cool stuff to the system. In the newest version of the MyIDE OS there is even a 'freezer' like function that can save game-state to the MyIDE SRAM.

5) MyIDE 2 is extremely versatile. It is possible to let it act like a programming cart (mac/65, synassembler, basic etc.) and a harddisk interface at the same time on a stock atari 8bit.

6) With patcher it runs almost any game. There are also cool game conversions, especially made for MyIDE 2.

7) With SDX apt is supported in MyIDE 2 (this is also on SIDE 2)

Downsides of MyIDE 2 compared to SIDE 2:

1) The MyIDE 2 FAT32 loader is here and there incompatible. I wrote a patch for games and demos that won't load (very accurate patch if I may say so); downside is that every game that does not run needs to be patched once. With patched almost any XEX file runs.

2) The MyIDE 2 lacks RTC

3) The MyIDE 2 lacks a reset button

4) In combination with U1MB SIDE 2 can act like a real PBI harddrive. MyIDE 2 not.

5) With SDX MyIDE 2 support the versatile APT partition scheme. Unfortunately MyBIOS does not support apt. Not a downside of MyIDE 2, but it is a downside of MyBIOS.

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 1