IGNORED

Atari JagDuo PCB discovered!

Clint Thompson

• 3 months later...

You would still need the jaguar CD motherboard to make it complete. I doubt that it would use the standard one

Found it. Lucky for me, Sam left the disk with PCB files and unpopulated board on his desk while he went out to lunch.

post-985-0-33122000-1518562802_thumb.jpg

As far as updates go, the main board files are still being worked on/updated when time permits.

• Like 9

The company that made this board 'cirexx' is still trading. Maybe they still have the original files and a bom file too.

Have the original PCB files for this as well, which I guess I should have clarified as truth with my alternate reality backstory that was just for fun. The BOM however was not part of the batch and not sure why, but hopefully we'll eventually find it since that's kind of the key to the entire puzzle. Maybe in another 3 months.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I've just emailed you 2 pages of documentation, that might,just might be related to the Atari Duo project..

It's Sam Tramiel talking about future plans and there is a possible lead to be followed up.

The talk and timing seem to fit, but Tramiel goes onto speculste about an awful lot of things and talks some absolute nonsense,so it might well be a dead end.

Have a look through and i will make a few enquiries my end.

UPDATE:with thanks to a friend of mine,asking on my behalf, we now have a contact for you to get in touch with, emailed it over.

;-) Actually make that 2 possible leads as both worked for Atari,both appear to have used the same handle or code name at 1 point.

Fingers crossed this leads somewhere.

Be great if something did come of it.

Sent same documents to Atarimania so if nothing else they can be archived and shared.

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 4

Sorry for not publically sharing the documents at this point, but despite 2 promising leads,it might come to nothing.

Clint at least has some folks to reach out to, Atarimania will have some extra files.

I'm not going down the path of publically posting stuff, just so certain ex-memembers of Atari Age can copy and Paste it on sites of their choosing,saying,behold look what i found.

Grew tired of that months ago.

Documents and names are in the right hands as far as i am concerned.

Best of luck Clint, i know you will share anything that comes of it and Atarimania will post it up if they think it's worthy for their sections.

• Like 6

I'm not going down the path of publically posting stuff, just so certain ex-memembers of Atari Age can copy and Paste it on sites of their choosing,saying,behold look what i found.

Don't let a few bad apples spoil the fun for everybody else. Just ignore them and let them rot in their little corner.
  • Like 5

Sorry for not publically sharing the documents at this point, but despite 2 promising leads,it might come to nothing.

Clint at least has some folks to reach out to, Atarimania will have some extra files.

Documents and names are in the right hands as far as i am concerned.

Best of luck Clint, i know you will share anything that comes of it and Atarimania will post it up if they think it's worthy for their sections.

Best decision.

I honestly don't want to get Clint's hopes up as given that it's Sam Tramiel bigging projects up, he might have oversold the entire thing.

And he gave code names, little else.

But, with thanks to the community last night, some digging was done and we have found 2 potential candidates that fit the working with Atari on Jaguar Hardware and both apparently fit a codename given.

1 has been interviewed before by someone far more professional than myself and the other lists the Jaguar work on their C.V and has contact details.

Everything given to Clint and i guess now it's the age old waiting game of attempting to contact then, see if they want to talk and seeing what's what.

I do hope something comes of this, as Clint is investing a lot of time into this project.

He recently had to clear up some...confusion that he had code for Conan and Phear and would be giving away both, plus the reveal of Zzyorxx II was incorrectly reported, so i feel it's best he has the leads and proceeds as he sees best.

I personally don't think it's person A myself, as although they worked at Atari on various Jaguar projects and have been linked to hardware projects in the past,this appears to of been a misunderstanding based on what someone else from Atari could foresee the hardware being used for...

So i haven't attempted contacting them.

Person B however i have emailed this evening, explained my interest and your project Clint, plus forwarded the documents in question to them.

Now we wait and see if they choose to reply, if the person in question is the right one and if they want to chat about it in detail.

I was in the process of following up another lead on behalf of Unseen64, regarding an annouced Jaguar title as it was,with someone else this evening, so it was no trouble to send an additional email.

Wether i hear back from either party though is a different matter.

But..feelers have gone out on your behalf my friend.

• Like 1

We have the right guy

Reply back this morning:

"Hi there. Yes, I am that person! The piece is fairly erroneous though, I was just a lowly engineer working for the brains of the operation.."

So, he's either being very humble, or Sam Tramiel really bigged up the project itself.

Hopefully we can learn more, but if not, at least we can put a name to a project and it's yet another small piece in the Jaguar history puzzle.

• Like 3

You mean Sam "The Jaguar is only a little bit less powerful than the PlayStation" Tramiel? Naaaaah, no way!

Well actually, using some exacting science there is hard proof to prove he is correct!! Potentially ;)

Playstation 1 weight = ~1.5KG

Atari Jaguar weight = ~1.05KG

so A jag is only about 450g less powerful (potentially), stick a CD unit on there and it would totally be more powerful than a PS1 (potentially)

;)

• Like 5

I mean the same Sam Tramiel who described everything being the Jaguar's strong point..

The same Sam Tramiel who said the Jaguar did great 3D with texture mapping.

So yes,to find he had perhaps mislead the press over an engineers role on a project and possibly the project itself...

Well,who could of seen that coming?

:-))

• Like 5

I mean the same Sam Tramiel who described everything being the Jaguar's strong point..

The same Sam Tramiel who said the Jaguar did great 3D with texture mapping.

So yes,to find he had perhaps mislead the press over an engineers role on a project and possibly the project itself...

Well,who could of seen that coming?

:-))

Reading that made me think of this ditty (but replace with Sam Tramiel) :)

• Like 2