2048 '4K' Version

9 replies to this topic

#1 TomSon OFFLINE  

TomSon

Space Invader

• 44 posts

Posted Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:47 PM

Hi,

I’ve written a version of 2048 - a small puzzle game, originally by G. Cirulli - and kept it within

the 4K rom limit of the smallest, original GCE cartridges without having to compromise anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia...48_(video_game)

2048 played on Vectrex.jpeg

It has an attract mode, sounds and keeps the current high score in the Vectrex high score string

just like the old games (so it is temporary and you see it by pressing reset).

Obviously you can play this on a multicart where you can add games but since it is so small you can also

quite easily build your own cartridge by converting an old one using a 2732 eprom and an original Vectrex 4K pcb.

I myself used a dead Berzerk cart. whose pcb/shell was lying around here for a few years.

In case you’ve never considered this: the Vectrex masked roms have /OE and A11 switched compared to a 2732 so

you have to reroute those lines. It’s quite easy since all you have to do is cut the two lines wiggling under the eprom
on the component side and reconnect.

changes.jpg

So I’ve just cut at the red lines (didn’t have to for /OE since that trace was already missing), rubbed

off the paint from the two traces (green) and soldered the leg directly to it from the component side.

overview.jpg

if you want to build your own - here's the label I've printed out to stick on mine:

2048 label.jpg

Attached Files

#2 Malban OFFLINE  

Malban

Combat Commando

• 8 posts

Posted Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:22 PM

Ha!

Thomas you beat me with that!

Vide 1.20 does not like your ROM - Vide has a bug!

Upcoming Vide 2.0 will play your game correctly though!

Nice game BTW!

Malban

#3 geoanas OFFLINE  

geoanas

Space Invader

• 34 posts

Posted Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:47 PM

Great game! Thanks for your nice treat! :) :thumbsup:

#4 D-Type OFFLINE  

D-Type

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 4:08 AM

Haven't tried the Vectrex version yet, but I had a go on Android... What a great little game! After an hour's play I got 5484. Anyone else have a score to share?

And surely it would be better if it was implemented as 1 2 4 8 10 20 40 80 100 200 400 800? (Thus my high score is $156C.)

#5 Vectrexer ONLINE  

Vectrexer

Moonsweeper

• 292 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 8:56 AM

Cool!   Thanks!

#6 vtk OFFLINE  

vtk

Star Raider

• 75 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 4:16 PM

..... After an hour's play I got 5484 .....

what's the biggest tile you have managed?

i got stuck at only getting to 512 for ages  (which was worrying as i started to realise if i just move the tiles around randomly without thinking i can sometimes get 512 anyway) haha

however, lately i have made a 1024 tile a few times, so might reach 2048 eventually (if i can slow down as i tend to play fast and impatiently, which no doubt is not a good idea!)

#7 funknflow5200 OFFLINE  

funknflow5200

Chopper Commander

• 229 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 10:21 PM

this is so much fun and so well done. Thanks so much!

#8 D-Type OFFLINE  

D-Type

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 11:41 PM

I discovered a new technique yesterday and straight away I got to the 1024 tile with 10300 as my top score. Haven't played it since. I think 2048 would have been doable but I made a mistake and then it was damage limitation. The technique? Slide all the big numbers to the top line and never slide down.

#9 TomSon OFFLINE  

TomSon

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 44 posts

Posted Mon Oct 2, 2017 6:09 AM

I discovered a new technique yesterday and straight away I got to the 1024 tile with 10300 as my top score. Haven't played it since. I think 2048 would have been doable but I made a mistake and then it was damage limitation. The technique? Slide all the big numbers to the top line and never slide down.

You are on the right track - there's a strategy that allows you to easily get to 1024 almost without thinking that I use myself.

Only afterwards does this strategy break down and I need to get more creative to reach 2048.

So far I haven't managed 4096 yet but I was close at one time, already had the 2048, 1024 and one 512 :P

#10 Mayhem OFFLINE  

Mayhem

Commodore Chaos Knight

• 5,049 posts
  • Cartridge master

Posted Mon Oct 2, 2017 7:36 AM

This is why the original game Threes is a lot more challenging... you can't use this technique much with it.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users