IGNORED

The Official SEGA CD/MEGA CD thread! (assuming there hasn't been one yet)

retrorussell

My controller and fuse arrived today. After getting two buttons unstuck and crimping on the fuse, I'll solder it in when I get more practice, I was finally able to try out Terminator. It did not disappoint. The music is great and the controls handle well. The difficulty feels just right, but then again I only got three or four levels in. I highly recommend checking it out. I ordered a composite AV cable since I'm getting a horrible picture through RF. It's better on the Genesis without the Sega CD, but still not good. I have some speakers I can connect to the Sega CD and an audio cable to route the Genesis audio to the mixer input, so the set-up should be pretty decent when the AV cable comes.

• Like 1

Sorry if posting these clips gets old but I enjoy showing bits of games you may not have played.

It's probably just me, but the thumbnails on page 2 were getting so heavy, I had to disable YouTube scripts just to get the page to load >_<

I have some speakers I can connect to the Sega CD and an audio cable to route the Genesis audio to the mixer input, so the set-up should be pretty decent when the AV cable comes.

Don't bother with the "mixer", it really does almost nothing at all. Unless you find it too unsightly, just plug a stereo mini-phono-to-RCA cable into the headphone jack on the front of the Genesis (and the other end into your sound system).

It's probably just me, but the thumbnails on page 2 were getting so heavy, I had to disable YouTube scripts just to get the page to load >_<

Yeah, constantly embedding YouTube videos can bog down people on slower devices. If you guys want to constantly post videos, perhaps you are better off doing direct links. Like this.

Yes, but you have to use the mixing cable. The audio from the Genesis won't go to the CD without it. The audio from the CD will go to the Genesis, but not the other way around. The mixer cable was SEGAs workaround so you could use the audio out from the CD for the whole Franken-console.

Genesis will always process its own audio. The CD will process its own audio if using its outputs. If you use only Genesis outputs, the Genesis will process the CDs audio. The mixing cable enables each component to process its own audio and use a single set of RCA cables for output.

Yes, but you have to use the mixing cable. The audio from the Genesis won't go to the CD without it. The audio from the CD will go to the Genesis, but not the other way around. The mixer cable was SEGAs workaround so you could use the audio out from the CD for the whole Franken-console.

Genesis will always process its own audio. The CD will process its own audio if using its outputs. If you use only Genesis outputs, the Genesis will process the CDs audio. The mixing cable enables each component to process its own audio and use a single set of RCA cables for output.

Sorry, I was thinking from the perspective of a Model 2 Genesis (unnecessarily so, since you never use the mixer cable with it). I was also mistaken on how the Model 1 Genesis interfaces with either Sega CD attachment. Checking some sources it looks like you have a choice of using the mixer cable and letting the Sega CD do the rest (the mixer port acts as a pass through), or you can simply use the headphone port on the front of the Genesis to manage your Stereo audio output from both devices. In that sense the mixer cable is not mandatory, but choosing to use it allows you to adjust the volume slider to have more control over the audio level on the Genesis side.

The mixing cable let's the CD process it's own audio, otherwise the Genesis will be doing it. While this isn't too bad for early Gen 1s, you're losing clarity on any of the rest.

I haven't done an A/B comparison, but I never noticed a difference before.

But using solely the headphone jack means I don't have to swap any cables when I'm not using the Sega CD. Sometimes I unhook it because I get ground noise if it's not plugged into the 9v. And sometimes SMS ROMs on the Everdrive will freak out.

But using solely the headphone jack means I don't have to swap any cables when I'm not using the Sega CD. Sometimes I unhook it because I get ground noise if it's not plugged into the 9v. And sometimes SMS ROMs on the Everdrive will freak out.

This makes sense. I don't have an Everdrive, yet, so I haven't encountered this issue. I always run the complete setup, especially since I am using the extender plate on the CD to secure the mixer cable and my S-Video mod is located on the 32X.

I could never understand this game:

DOUBLE SWITCH

Another FMV from Digital Pictures, this is very similar to NIGHT TRAP except the method of catching the baddies is far more complex. It's got Corey Feldman, Debbie Harry and R. Lee Ermey and it concerns Feldman, the owner of the apartment complex the story takes place at, where a treasure is said to be hidden, and his request that you activate traps to keep people from stealing the treasure and helping him get out of the basement he's locked in. Well, it turns out he's the antagonist of the story and the handyman he wants you to trap (Ermey) is his father. I could not get used to the trap-setting in this game; the NIGHT TRAP method was still burned into my brain.

Oddly though I cannot claim to be much a fan of the Sega CD I certainly have my share of hardware, had the original unit back in the day and even the 2nd smaller fliptop unit at one point, those are long since gone but still today I have a SegaCDX as well as a JVC X'eye so I can still play the discs. Admittedly it was the idea of the massive CD storage medium that attracted me back in the day, also I AM a fan of several FMV games though I am not a fan of RPG's so although the SegaCD had it's share of such titles I prefer where possible to play my FMV games on either my 3DO or even my CDi with FMV module as both of those had much better FMV output, Dragon's Lair, Sewer Shark etc looked closer to VHS quality compared to the SegaCD's grainy low color and low resolution output. Still I DID enjoy Silpheed as well as a few other titles making my SegaCD compatible devices worth keeping at the very least great collectors items from an interesting era of gaming.

• Like 1

One game that's excellent for the Mega CD and shows off just what CD based software should have been used for rather than FMV Live action crap is Urusei Yatsura. It's a full on animated (NOT VIDEO) RPG fully voiced by the original TV show's cast and written by the original author.

If you can't understand Japanese that's also not a problem because there are many guides out there. Although you would miss out on the jokes I guess.

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Well here's one you probably wouldn't expect. I found my Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia for the Sega CD. This CD really helped me when it came to my homework and doing book reports. I eventually received the PC version later on when my parents purchased our IBM Aptiva in 1995. But I have fond memories of this gem that achieved me on receiving A's in my classes. :)

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Well here's one you probably wouldn't expect. I found my Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia for the Sega CD. This CD really helped me when it came to my homework and doing book reports. I eventually received the PC version later on when my parents purchased our IBM Aptiva in 1995. But I have fond memories of this gem that achieved me on receiving A's in my classes. :)

That's great! I almost posted that one a while back. Glad to know it helped people.

Some more:

THE COLORS OF MODERN ROCK

Another Digital Pictures game, this was a weird mail-in game with 6 rock videos. The only band/song I'm familiar with is Mr. Big with "To Be With You". Not sure what you do in this game but you can take snapshots, I guess.

CYBORG 009

Based on an old manga from the 60s, this was for the Mega-CD and thus not well-known to US gamers. Plenty of anime cutscenes.

ESPN BASEBALL TONIGHT

Surprisingly kind of cool-looking game of baseball for the Sega-CD.

Edited by retrorussell
  • Like 1

Some more!

LINKS

The lone golf game for the console, as far as I can tell.

MARKY MARK AND THE FUNKY BUNCH: MAKE MY VIDEO

The first of a handful of music video-editing games, all by Digital Pictures. INXS, C&C Music Factory and Kriss Kross were also featured. Of course, now Mark is an acclaimed actor.

JAGUAR XJ220

• Like 1

I was finally able to try out the composite cable today and the picture and sound is way better. Definitely the way to play. I might try the s-video mod down the road, but I'm pretty satisfied now. I'm going to try and give D&D Eye of the Beholder and Snatcher a go tomorrow. Game Sack had a pretty good episode on the Sega CD I'll have to rewatch too.

• Like 2