IGNORED

Synchronized Intellivision Goodness?

First Spear

Hmmm... I of course have no idea how this would work (wait for JoeZ and Decle to weigh in), but I wonder what it would take at any level to synchronize multiple Intellivisions to do something interesting. Across the cartridge ports, just output on the sound channel through an external mixer, video overlay from multiple systems through a separate video decoder, hmm.

I have seen racks of Apple II machines play synchronized music to mimic an orchestra, and there are some efforts out there on the C64 (like the one mentioned recently in Kilobyte Magazine), so naturally I wonder what might be done one our favorite 16-bit console...

• Like 1

I don't see why this couldn't be done. It would be an Intellivision music player that takes its queues from an external source. You could just wire the controller inputs together so they all start at the same time. Alternatively, that external source could be another Intellivision through a cartridge based network. I've seen ethernet cartridges for the c64, why not Intellivision. Maybe the ltoflash can be repurposed for this with alternative firmware.

The Apple II example is a little more involved with parallel computing software. http://michaeljmahon.com/CratePaper.html