IGNORED

Haunted Adventure Trilogy playthroughs

bradhig1

So, you know the game pretty well and you still needed over than 60 minutes to finish all the games...

That's a huge and deep game! icon_smile.gificon_thumbsup.gif

Not to mention the Trilogy has 7 games or game variations. icon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gif

I actually own the game, I'm just highlighting its great qualities. Many variations and many great moments for those who appeciate some Atari fun.

Myself, I usually don't search for easter eggs. I remember I found some but how could I be sure it's the "ultimate easter egg" when I find it?

So, you know the game pretty well and you still needed over than 60 minutes to finish all the games...

That's a huge and deep game! icon_smile.gificon_thumbsup.gif

Not to mention the Trilogy has 7 games or game variations. icon_thumbsup.gificon_thumbsup.gif

I actually own the game, I'm just highlighting its great qualities. Many variations and many great moments for those who appeciate some Atari fun.

Myself, I usually don't search for easter eggs. I remember I found some but how could I be sure it's the "ultimate easter egg" when I find it?

I don't think the Ultimate Easter Egg is a secret room. I think its an alternate ending caused by finding another object and taking it to the tomb.

I don't think the Ultimate Easter Egg is a secret room. I think its an alternate ending caused by finding another object and taking it to the tomb.

It's in Game 3. There is a clue

From your first steps

Always do what's right

Travel up the straight and narrow path.

Which leads life's journey encountering both for and friend

Travel through the tome of truth

To find eternal salvation for the soul.

Sounds like go in the haunted house map. Go up and encounter the skeleton and go through one of the text messages which is only possible with the skeleton on screen or carrying an item to find something. I have passed through all those text messages and nothing happened. Didn't end up in some secret room.

It's in Game 3. There is a clue

From your first steps

Always do what's right

Travel up the straight and narrow path.

Which leads life's journey encountering both for and friend

Travel through the tome of truth

To find eternal salvation for the soul.

Sounds like go in the haunted house map. Go up and encounter the skeleton and go through one of the text messages which is only possible with the skeleton on screen or carrying an item to find something. I have passed through all those text messages and nothing happened. Didn't end up in some secret room.

I meant Which leads life's journey encountering both foe and friend. I will never win the contest cause of the rom dump.

It's always bothered me why companies hide the details of their technology, even when they go bust, so that people have to resort to recreating it from scratch from technical manuals for emulators instead of simply using the chip designs directly. Or if there are no chip design documents, why they can't simply take an existing chip, cut it open and use an electron scanning microscope to examine the surface of the IC and recreate it from there?

If this AtariBox wants to be a full-blown VCS system, why use an emulator running in a Linux OS? Why not get hold of the genuine hardware and copy it? Is it still under copyright (laughs)?

Woot! Another Ataribox thread! But I suspect the question is more general and is wider ranging than "ataribox".

Of course it is possible to RE an existing chip. The question is one of economics. Is it cost-effective to set up a FAB for some obscure videogame chip from 1977? And one that may only sell 10,000 or 100,000 or other limited quantities? The answer is emphatically no.

It's not commonly known among laypersons that every time, arbitrarily say intel, a new chip with smaller geometry is designed, the whole damned fabrication facility needs major upgrades to deal with the smaller parts. That's a cost that runs in the billions.

And even for "fabless" companies, like WDC or Nvidia or hundreds of others, they still have to present compelling quantities to a real fab in order to get anything made.

The TIA and 6507 have transistor-level schematics available. And they have been decapped and photographed, and many chips have their original "blueprints" or node lists available. So it isn't a matter of information, but cost.

---

The most practical solution is to get an off-the-shelf microprocessor or SoC or single-board computer. These things are cheap, sometimes in the $10 range. It will be powerful enough to run a set of instructions that emulate the console in question. Especially something like the VCS. All you need is a chip that's in the Pentium III performance range.. That's what the minimum spec the best VCS emulator will run on.

Thousands of hours of work has already been done on emulators for cheap hardware that's abundant. Hardware that's even 2010's e-waste! Why do anything else?

Emulators are tried, true, tested, and most are in active development. A known quantity. No magic bullshit need be created from scratch. No impossible unobtanium 'cores' need be engineered from the ground up. No magic hardware needs to be designed, built, revised, tested, then sent off to be manufactured. No "big corporation" has to be created. No niche inside a niche FPGA cores need be built by infighting engineer teams. None of that!

All this infrastructure has been created. It'd be foolish to not use it.

It's always bothered me why companies hide the details of their technology, even when they go bust, so that people have to resort to recreating it from scratch from technical manuals for emulators instead of simply using the chip designs directly.

To answer this question.. more directly.. It's an ongoing problem. Companies simply do not think about knowledge preservation that much. And when they do, the $$$ associated with it is a turn-off to the beancounters. Even NASA, they had to study (reverse engineer) physical samples of parts made in the 1960's so that they could build rocket engines for SLS. They forgot how to do things!

Knowledge continuity is something businesses don't think about till it bites them in the ass. Then they have to scramble for a design or they have to whip up a storm of marketing activity to sell something totally new.

Why? Because it has no immediate payoff or return. Maybe not even for 50 years. And money spent curating and preserving and formatting designs like throwing money down the drain. Especially today with all the needless micromanagement of costs. It would have cost NASA only a couple hundred million back then to better preserve important information, instead they are left lurching around and blowing billions redesigning everything over and over again.

It's just like you setting up a new PC. When you are done, you should make printouts or handwritten notes of all the BIOS settings and other system configuration settings, and even make backups. Otherwise you have to do it again at great expenditure of time and frustration. So why didn't you do that on the day you set stuff up? There's your answer.

It's always bothered me why companies hide the details of their technology, even when they go bust, so that people have to resort to recreating it from scratch from technical manuals for emulators instead of simply using the chip designs directly. Or if there are no chip design documents, why they can't simply take an existing chip, cut it open and use an electron scanning microscope to examine the surface of the IC and recreate it from there?

If this AtariBox wants to be a full-blown VCS system, why use an emulator running in a Linux OS? Why not get hold of the genuine hardware and copy it? Is it still under copyright (laughs)?

I skimmed through this but don't think this was answered. "If this AtariBox wants to be a full-blown VCS system"

Who said that? The AtariBox doesn't want to be a full blown VCS system. This is going to play modern games as well.

edit:

For example play a game like "Haunted House: Cryptic Graves" instead of just "Haunted House"

Edited by SignGuy81

Anyone know who Matthew Johnson and Jonathon Rose are? I see their names on Floor 1 room 3 of the Haunted House map in game 3 but their names don't appear in the manual/

Matthew Johnson would be me! I bought one of the original carts when the game was released. Had no idea my name was in the game :cool:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NO rom available. You have to buy a cart and dump it yourself. Attwong wants people to find the ultimate easter egg on real atari hardware no using emulation. I asked about Matthew Johnson cause his name appears in the part of game 3 map shaped like the original haunted house and I thought going through the text messages in a certain order would trigger the ultimate easter egg ,but it hasn't Why else would there be so many text messages in that area?

NO rom available. You have to buy a cart and dump it yourself. Attwong wants people to find the ultimate easter egg on real atari hardware no using emulation. I asked about Matthew Johnson cause his name appears in the part of game 3 map shaped like the original haunted house and I thought going through the text messages in a certain order would trigger the ultimate easter egg ,but it hasn't Why else would there be so many text messages in that area?

I can't afford the cart, so that won't be happening. I do play on real hardware though. I use a Harmony Encore. I'd probably attempt to find the easter egg if there were a rom availible to use on my Harmony cart. Maybe someday it will get released and I'll play it then. :)

Edited by RamrodHare

I can't afford the cart, so that won't be happening. I do play on real hardware though. I use a Harmony Encore. I'd probably attempt to find the easter egg if there were a rom availible to use on my Harmony cart. Maybe someday it will get released and I'll play it then. :)

There won't be a rom dump until someone finds the Ultimate Easter Egg and even when that happens there may not be a rom dump.

• 2 weeks later...