IGNORED

Telnet65 for DragonCart

sanny

ol.sc had contacted me, telling me that he intends to make a new release of Telnet65, and if I'd like
to port it to Atari for this release.

I accepted and the port is finished now.

Telnet65 is a VT100 Telnet client. I guess it can best be described as remake of Kipperterm. Like Kipperterm it
is based on IP65 combined with VT100 code of Cater (http://www.opppf.de/Cater/).

Telnet65 is based on the latest IP65 code and the latest Cater code. Additionally support for line drawing as seen
i.e. in Midnight Commander was added.

Telnet65 for Atari writes directly into the screen memory for speed reasons. It uses the default 40x24 text screen.

Therefore no custom E: handlers (XEP80, VBXE) are supported currently.

Full source code can be found at https://github.com/oliverschmidt/ip65, and precompiled binaries at
https://github.com/oliverschmidt/ip65/releases.

I've attached a bootable ATR file containing TELNET65.COM. I couldn't attach TELNET.COM ("cannot attach this type of file" stupidity), so it's inside the ZIP.

ip65.atr

telnet65.zip

• Like 13

any video example?

Not right now. I maybe record one during the next days.

But you can test it with Altirra. It emulates a DragonCart. But please note, that the keyboard type-in latency after being connected only happens in Altirra, not on real hardware.

Not right now. I maybe record one during the next days.

But you can test it with Altirra. It emulates a DragonCart. But please note, that the keyboard type-in latency after being connected only happens in Altirra, not on real hardware.

i testing on real hw.. maybe tommorow.. now i minning bitcoins:D

Can this telnet be used to download xex or dcm images? I would like to, for example, ftp to pigwa.net and then download from there. It is not practical at all, but I like the concept of a full Atari 8-bit solution. I tried the wget and the browser and I could not make it happen. The menu item "save URL as" makes me think is possible, to download a file to diskette in the disk drive.

Hi,

> I tried the wget and the browser [...]

Are you refering to the Contiki web browser and the Contiki wget?

> The menu item "save URL as" [...]

Neither the Contiki web browser nor the Contiki wget have any menu.

The web browser shows the text "Would you like to download instead?" - see

https://github.com/contiki-os/contiki/blob/master/apps/webbrowser/www.c#L715

The wget shows a prompt asking "Save as:" - see

https://github.com/contiki-os/contiki/blob/master/examples/wget/wget.c#L183

But maybe you are rather refering to some web browser / wget running on some box you are connected to via Telnet. Then it's obvious that you can only download files to the file system on the box you are connected to via Telnet.

Even if you run the Contiki wget on your Atari you will only be able to download to a file in your Atari file system, but not to "raw blocks" on your disk. Maybe I'll provide a new wget that will be able to do the latter.

Regards,

Oliver

• Like 2

Hi,

> I tried the wget and the browser [...]

Are you refering to the Contiki web browser and the Contiki wget?

> The menu item "save URL as" [...]

Neither the Contiki web browser nor the Contiki wget have any menu.

The web browser shows the text "Would you like to download instead?" - see

https://github.com/contiki-os/contiki/blob/master/apps/webbrowser/www.c#L715

The wget shows a prompt asking "Save as:" - see

https://github.com/contiki-os/contiki/blob/master/examples/wget/wget.c#L183

But maybe you are rather refering to some web browser / wget running on some box you are connected to via Telnet. Then it's obvious that you can only download files to the file system on the box you are connected to via Telnet.

Even if you run the Contiki wget on your Atari you will only be able to download to a file in your Atari file system, but not to "raw blocks" on your disk. Maybe I'll provide a new wget that will be able to do the latter.

Regards,

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for the reply.

Reading my latest post I understand it wasn't clear.

The contiki browser and contiki wget fail to download xex or dcm images from pigwa and other sites.

On the other hand, this new telnet has a "save URL as", in menu according to the images uploaded. So I assumed it has some kind of "wget" integrated.

I have accomplish a "full Atari solution" for downloading software using a terminal server, rverter interface and terminal program plus x,y or zmodem protocol in both the atari side and the Linux side (sx/rx or sz/rz )

I would love to see some way to download software using the dragoncart and the new telnet. I don't think is possible but maybe I'm wrong.

Wrt the capability to write directly to sectors, it would be great, but I was not thinking about that when I wrote my last post.

Thanks again, these software and the dragoncart are amazing, I never through back then, it would be possible to connect the Atari directly to internet.

Regards,

Mauricio

On the other hand, this new telnet has a "save URL as", in menu according to the images uploaded. So I assumed it has some kind of "wget" integrated.

No, that's not a menu entry of Telnet65, but from a program started on the host the Telnet was connected.

Telnet65 doesn't have the ability to download files. The telnet protocol doesn't support that.

Oliver thinks about creating a wget-like program which could be used to download files (and upload). And files as files and disk images directly to floppy.

regards,

chris

• Like 2

With my slow return a somewhat normal routine and Atari, I had missed a great number of things. I am completely elated to see this client and it has inspired me to get a move on finish re-assembling my trusty 8 bits that were by the wayside as we dealt with other issues. My cognition is and not be what it was and I don't know how much help I can still be, but at least I be good for 'idiot' proofing tests of other works. I will be able to make error mistakes that I would have otherwise smirked when others would previously commit :). If you are patient I will try to relearn what is lost of forgetton, though I am not sure if I will be programming or coding if at a;;. If it is possible I will give it a go.

So I'll see everyon on irc agai! Thank you all for your hard work and understanding.

_The Docgtor__

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wow that reads very badly! Sorry about that...

I was able to use a telnet door to irc with this and it worked fairly well, when I remember how to fake ident response quickly enough I'll see how it manages a raw telnet irc connection... it's how I used to do it and it'll be nice to do it again....

I did hit a few telnet BBS's with it and had some success but haven't spent nearly enough time with it... give it a month, as things improve... so far so good.

:)

Thanks for your feedback, __The Doctor__.

Just tell me any problem you encounter. And remember, this simulates a VT100, so no Atari or PC special/line drawing chars will be displayed correctly.

But it's very good to connect to an Unix host :)

It could handle rough mapping of the close enough atascii symbols for simple box/lines etc. I have seen people go nuts trying to make new characters for everything and there is no need for standard line/boxes just ignore color or other attributes etc and be close enough... it kept up with the screens on a number of BBS systems so far and the screen positioning of the cursor is just fine....

encryption? while it might be possible it would either be slow or... it would have to be pseudo encryption... some thing quick and very dirty...

only other choice add on hardware a lantronix box has this but is limited on older units... an EDS or better would be needed and that takes the dragon out of the loop....

Edited by _The Doctor__

exactly because CS8900A dragon implementation isn't an easy thing, so it would be another device to do it... or so slow and long it would have to be something contrived...

and again I am not a remembering person but wasn't there openSSH or some such way back when?

> that takes the dragon out of the loop

On https://github.com/a2retrosystems/uthernet2/wiki/Uthernet-II-and-Raspberry-Pi I describe the benefits of using Ethernet to connect a Linux SoC (here a Raspberry Pi) to a 6502 machine.

On a Raspberry Pi you can for example run a SIO emulator and and a SSH client at the same time. But maybe you don't have much fun connecting both at the same time to the Atari. But with the Atari having an Ethernet interface with (in contrast to the Dragon Cart) it's own TCP/IP using the W5100 one can at the same time run SIO over some simple proprietary UDP protocol and run Telnet over a TCP connection. And with Telnet one logs on to the Raspberry Pi and SSHs from there to anywhere.

This setup surely blocks the single Ethernet port on the Raspberry Pi. But with Ethernet you can just connect both (the Atari and the Pi) to your LAN and have the Pi located anywhere. Or you're into WiFi, connect the Atari via a short Ethernet cable directly to the Pi and use the Pi's WiFi to connect to the net. You can even have the Pi act as WiFi bridge allowing Atari Ethernet software like the Contiki web browser to directly connect other machines on the net.

https://www.openssl.org/

and their are other open security layer things about....

this is all getting away from the main purpose of this thread though... which is to test and have fun with straight up telnet65 with the dragon..

Edited by _The Doctor__