IGNORED

S-video to VGA converter for VGA/HDMI Input on PC

Larry

Here it is again, but with a couple of twists...

I'm looking for one of these, but with a couple of specific features needed. Must work under Win7. Display Window must be scalable -- not just full screen. And naturally, must work with Atari video. (Many won't, including the more modern Hauppauge WinTV models I've tried -- 6,7, and 8.

I've used an ATI All In Wonder card for many years, but AFAIK, no Win7 drivers were ever released. There was a Vista beta, but it fails for me on Win7.

Anyone know of something that might work for me?

-Larry

Thanks! I don't think that I tried Dscaler with the Hauppauge hardware, so I should try that. I have used Dscaler previously, and unfortunately didn't particularly like the control interface, but certainly worth another look.

Has anyone tried this one with our Atari hardware?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311912376231?ul_noapp=true

Looks interesting...

-Larry

What you describe is a capture device - the likes of S-Video to VGA, VGA to HDMI etc are convertors and generally a standalone device though sometimes needing external power.

These days since analog video is practically dead there's a big surplus of USB based capture devices. A quick look on eBay and there you go for 8 bucks.

There's also plenty of software for PCs that can display, capture and convert video. VirtualDub has it built in and should be able to deal with most such devices.

Yes, I have a Hauppauge tuner and I prefer Dscaler to what came with the hardware. I used to use it a long time ago when I had dish network for the 2nd tuner in the bedroom. Didn't have 2 TVs, had a pretty big computer monitor so just used it for the bedroom TV. Liked it set up that way to use computer as both because took up less space in the small bedroom than having the computer monitor and a TV(this is back when they were all CRTs).

I've had a few capture cards installed, last one was a hybrid that did DTV as well as analog tuner + capture.

Took it out as I barely used it anymore and can use other devices to record TV anyway.

I'd recommend just getting a USB one these days. Having a constantly powered PCI device is a waste even if it's only using a few watts of electricity. Plus a USB one has the flexibility that you can use it with multiple machines.

I've used an ATI All In Wonder card for many years, but AFAIK, no Win7 drivers were ever released. There was a Vista beta, but it fails for me on Win7.

Good reason to have multiboot setup. I can use Windows XP, Windows 7. I have a capture card in my desktop now I rarely use but when I do I have to load Windows XP.