Doom Hack videos

5 replies to this topic

#1 Saturn OFFLINE  

Saturn

River Patroller

• 3,619 posts
  • Pillar of the Jaguar Community

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 4:56 AM

Here are quick play throughs of all the mods/levels I've made so far and hacked into Doom ROMs. A few of the videos have some lag but only because my laptop couldn't handle running PT and Fraps simultaneously during some of the more intense sections that even real hardware has slight problems with. Although the cool thumbnails aren't displayed, I've included the descriptions of each from their respective Youtube page.
These are from the 1st ROM set of the 1st trilogy:

Spoiler

These are from the 2nd ROM of the 1st trilogy:

Spoiler

These are from the 3rd ROM of the 1st trilogy:

Spoiler

These are from the 2nd ROM set (which is a single 12 mission ROM atm):

Spoiler

These are from the 1st ROM in the 3rd set (which is a trilogy):

Spoiler

These are from the 2nd set of 3rd ROM set trilogy:

Spoiler

These are from the 3rd set of 3rd ROM set trilogy:

Spoiler

More to come..

#2 DoTheMath OFFLINE  

DoTheMath

Chopper Commander

• 103 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:52 AM

OMG that's the tits !

#3 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 4,537 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:50 PM

Hey Saturn what is the plan for these?  Best of ROM or??

Very cool work; would love to be able to play some someday in the future!

#4 Saturn OFFLINE  

Saturn

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,619 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:21 PM

Not sure what the plan is, would've liked to release them as they were made and variations while each was in progress but I'm sure they'd end up on ebay and since I don't own rights to any of it, wouldn't be fair to Id. Guess I'll just keep cranking them out without anyone being able to enjoy them :(

#5 Greenious OFFLINE  

Greenious

Chopper Commander

• 232 posts
  • -= Elite =-

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:57 PM

How many maps have you managed to put in ome ROM? can you go 6mb?

I hope one day we get to play these, it's quite an impressive amount of work that you've put into it.

#6 Saturn OFFLINE  

Saturn

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,619 posts

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:24 PM

I put 17 on the last rom I did. But, combined two maps into one-twice so the actual number of maps to play is 15.

To make a short story long, it was a test to see what would happen combining them and what kind of errors to be on the lookout for. Had to change some door colors on the latter half of the map as say, the red key had already been found in the first half, or tag numbers would have to be changed as triggering one to proceed would often significantly change progress ability in the 2nd half. Example: Walk over a line to open doors where monsters ambush you. Take them out then later on the floor is smashed against the ceiling somewhere else and didn't know how/why.

Didn't take much to figure it out but was fun to 'discover'

Maps in the wild usually take up a lot more space than the originals Id trimmed down. Even after editing out all the incredible decor the users had, they can be hefty. You can over write map data in the rom right to the end of map 23 but if you enter map 24 at all, the sound goes bonkers and plays all the sounds in the game in sequence on a loop until you want to slap yourself. I'd like to go 32 levels on a rom but unless they are tiny tiny there's no way as you only have a certain amount of room to work within. Generally I like to make 12 map roms but a few have 13. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users