PAL Atari 65XE and XF551 in 60 Hz Frequency

7 replies to this topic

#1 atari65xenajm OFFLINE  

atari65xenajm

Space Invader

• 19 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 7:55 PM

Hello,

I have a question for an issue I am experiencing.  I live in the US and purchased a European Atari 65XE (PAL version) from eBay.

The Atari 65XE power supply provides DC.  However, the XF551 power supply provides AC.

When I use an American Atari 130XE (NTSC version) with the XF551, the drive boots perfectly.  However, when I use the European Atari 65XE (PAL) with the XF551, the same disk drive boots and is interrupted and I occasionally get a few "BOOT ERROR" messages before it finally makes it to the READY prompt.  Also, when I attempt to LOAD a binary file from the diskette (using DOS 2.5 option Load Binary File), I get error Error- 138.

Further to the issue, when I use Lotharek's SIO2SD device on either Atari 65XE (PAL) or Atari 130XE (NTSC), the ATR images boot perfectly fine with no issues (clearly no mechanical movement here).

The SIO port has a CLOCK IN and CLOCK OUT pin, but I really do not know if this is relevant (i.e., could the clock be unsynchronized and that causes the error in communication).

With this narrative, I am inclined to believe the Atari 65XE has no problems in the SIO port, and that it is a frequency issue.  However, I am not certain.

What do you think?

#2 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,168 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:06 PM

A proper working DC PS will output only DC at the proper voltage as long as it's receiving the proper AC input.

Supposedly devices that use AC like the disk drives and 400/800 don't care for the input AC frequency either.  A 9V AC supply will be same frequency as the wall outlet but the computer doesn't use the waveform for timing or anything (C64 CIA uses the AC input as basis for it's RTC function).

So, as long as a suitable PS is used a "foreign" Atari computer or peripheral will be fine - generally the experienced issue will be that monitors and TVs won't necessarily work with them.

Your problem I suspect is the XF551 drive itself.  I've read that early ones weren't reliable on PAL computers as the used bitrate was suitable for NTSC but marginal on PAL.

Supposedly the problem is fixed in a later firmware release.

Also, with the SIO Clock lines - the 810 and 1050 don't use it at all, fairly sure it's the same case with XF551.  

Edited by Rybags, Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:07 PM.

#3 Bryan ONLINE  

Bryan

Quadrunner

• 10,720 posts
  • Cruise Elroy = 4DB7

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:11 PM

NTSC and PAL machines have a slightly different system clock (1.79 vs 1.77MHz) and this makes the SIO speed slightly different. It usually isn't a problem, though.

#4 atari65xenajm OFFLINE  

atari65xenajm

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:55 PM

Thanks Rybags and Bryan!

I have just run the Test Atari 65-130XE R.2 (19xx)(-).bin cartridge image on the 65XE computer and I got 34 35 36 37 38 39 FAIL.  I do not know what this means, but I did not get the same error on the 130XE.

What do these port numbers mean?

EDIT: Also, I found one more thread http://atariage.com/...tion-error-138/ in our forum where a PAL computer and an American printer had error 138 spordically.  There seems to be some correlation pattern here.

Edited by atari65xenajm, Fri Oct 6, 2017 9:24 PM.

#5 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

Stargunner

• 1,800 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 10:14 PM

I remember seeing XF551 ROM dumps from PAL drives, surely this might be it. Might need to match the computer.

Edited by tjlazer, Fri Oct 6, 2017 10:14 PM.

#6 atari65xenajm OFFLINE  

atari65xenajm

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 10:43 PM

I remember seeing XF551 ROM dumps from PAL drives, surely this might be it. Might need to match the computer.

Thanks tjlazer for sharing this!  One more narrative in favor of the 50Hz vs 60Hz incompatibility.  :-)

Hoping to hear from others around the port numbers above.

#7 tjlazer OFFLINE  

tjlazer

Stargunner

• 1,800 posts
  • Retro Atari Addict

Posted Fri Oct 6, 2017 11:14 PM

Have you tried the Hyper XF ROM? Might do the trick

#8 Philsan ONLINE  

Philsan

River Patroller

• 3,384 posts
  • New Orleans Saints Super Bowl XLIV Champions

Posted Sat Oct 7, 2017 1:26 AM

I wrote the solution in the topic "XF551 PAL": http://atariage.com/...44#entry1398344

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users