Photo

Doing some testing...

15 replies to this topic

#1 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• 34,042 posts

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:55 PM

Getting ready for next week's Portland Retro Gaming Expo and I'm killing two birds with one stone.. Testing POKEY copies of Super Circus AtariAge, while at the same time testing six different Atari 7800 systems (these systems have been modified with s-video and composite video outputs and stereo audio).  Only five of the systems are visible here.  The sixth is upstairs, but it's hard at work as well!! 

Hope to see some of you in Portland next weekend!

..Al

SCAA_Testing.jpg

#2 sramirez2008 ONLINE  

sramirez2008

Stargunner

• 1,775 posts

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:27 PM

See you next week Al. Don't forget the Draconian CIBs. :-D

http://atariage.com/...expo/?p=3864843

#3 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 32,417 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 PM

I wasted a little bit of Al's time, my PLD code for SCAA was buggy, so I re-wrote it.  Plus side is, he can now use 27C256 or 27C512 for EPROM's.  I still maintain that the 7800 was made by the devil though.

#4 Cafeman OFFLINE  

Cafeman

Quadrunner

• 6,389 posts
  • Coding and testing

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 PM

Now That's the kitchen of an Atari fan.... :)

#5 -^CrožBow^- ONLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,157 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:43 PM

(these systems have been modified with s-video and composite video outputs and stereo audio).

Prey tell how these 7800s were modded for stereo? I've asked about this before and gotten crickets in response. How is the Pokey mixed in if the TIA channels are separate out? Details man...details!

#6 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 34,042 posts

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:13 PM

I wasted a little bit of Al's time, my PLD code for SCAA was buggy, so I re-wrote it.  Plus side is, he can now use 27C256 or 27C512 for EPROM's.  I still maintain that the 7800 was made by the devil though.

Yes, there are plenty of "evil" 7800s, and they are not very consistent between different units.  

..Al

#7 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 32,417 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:30 PM

Yes, there are plenty of "evil" 7800s, and they are not very consistent between different units.  

..Al

What is odd though, is, there are nice ones as well.  I had a challenge going with myself, to see how much of the unused address space can be mapped into a real RAM chip.  One out of 5 systems let me map an area of memory, that would just crash the others.  I think it was $2800-$3000, which most people describe as a mirror.  A lot of the memory maps out there are out of date, I think I gave one to RevEng, PMP etc., that I have proven works and could be used with a single plug-in board, pretty simple decoding logic within 64K.  But there is always one bitch 7800, good or bad.  LOL

#8 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,739 posts

Posted Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:47 PM

SCAA_Testing.jpg

Epic photo!

#9 DrSidneyZweibel OFFLINE  

DrSidneyZweibel

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:39 AM

Prey tell how these 7800s were modded for stereo? I've asked about this before and gotten crickets in response. How is the Pokey mixed in if the TIA channels are separate out? Details man...details!

yeah this!!! I just did the UAV mod and video is fantastic, but I'd love to add real stereo sound instead of dual mono.

#10 -^CrožBow^- ONLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,157 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 AM

yeah this!!! I just did the UAV mod and video is fantastic, but I'd love to add real stereo sound instead of dual mono.

Seems to be a trade secret!! LOL I imagine the gist of it is to have a separate circuit where you run the two TIA channels and have them mix the pokey channels blending those in between the two as a center channel. So basically the pokey is always in mono with the TIA channels separated out. The mixing is the trick in this case.

Wonder if Bryan's new audio mixing board he just released does this? But I've not see specifics for it in the case of the 2600 or 7800 setups.

#11 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Just a regular dude.

• 24,887 posts
  • Meh

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 PM

Proof that Albert doesn't eat...

#12 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 34,042 posts

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:15 PM

Proof that Albert doesn't eat...

The kitchen is behind me in this photo. 

..Al

#13 Atarius Maximus OFFLINE  

Atarius Maximus

Stargunner

• 1,859 posts
  • 10 PRINT CHR$(205.5+RND(1));

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:54 PM

Getting ready for next week's Portland Retro Gaming Expo and I'm killing two birds with one stone.. Testing POKEY copies of Super Circus AtariAge, while at the same time testing six different Atari 7800 systems (these systems have been modified with s-video and composite video outputs and stereo audio).  Only five of the systems are visible here.  The sixth is upstairs, but it's hard at work as well!! 

Hope to see some of you in Portland next weekend!

..Al

SCAA_Testing.jpg

My new desktop wallpaper. :D

#14 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

Just a regular dude.

• 24,887 posts
  • Meh

Posted Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:19 AM

In all seriousness, that's an amazing setup you have there.  If I was electronically inclined, that's the kind of thing I'd love to do.

Having  Tempest and Black Widow machines wouldn't hurt!

(I think I found what's happening to all the POKEY chips!)

#15 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 34,042 posts

Posted Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:20 AM

In all seriousness, that's an amazing setup you have there.  If I was electronically inclined, that's the kind of thing I'd love to do.

Having  Tempest and Black Widow machines wouldn't hurt!

(I think I found what's happening to all the POKEY chips!)

Haha!  

There are more machines not visible in that photo.  :)

..Al

#16 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,214 posts

Posted Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:23 AM

Greatest. Kitchen. Ever.  :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users