IGNORED

How to start playing Berzerk?

manterola

I could never get far into this game - the better game which is more playable for me - was K-razy Shootout, which is clone of this kind of game.

Still not perfect - but at least you could get further and further into it...

Two things missing though:

1. Evil Otto

2. Audio Insults

And 3rd, I prefer the scoring system in Berzerk.

I agree though, Berzerk could be a little easier or at least have selectable difficulty levels.

It's one of those games you can get good at if you play it enough and play seriously.

Definitely not for a lot of casual, relaxed game players, if you expect to get very far.

My biggest complaint on these types of games is how shooting is controlled.

You either need Robotron-style (two joystick) controls or your player needs to be able to "lock" into a shooting position (direction) by simply tapping in a direction (or will shoot in whatever direction you were last moving), so you can shoot when you're just standing.

Edited by MrFish

Having owned a Berzerk arcade machine I'm appalled.

Berzerk is brilliant in it's original shape and yes I had the bat-stick.

The key to solving it's drawbacks was getting the reflective disc positioned EXACTLY ad the right hight. The factory job was flaky on that, and _that_ caused the bad reputation of the stick....

You either need Robotron-style (two joystick) controls or your player needs to be able to "lock" into a shooting position (direction) by simply tapping in a direction (or will shoot in whatever direction you were last moving), so you can shoot when you're just standing.

Actually that limit to me, is the charm of the game.

Berzerk was the inspiration for Robotron.....so pay some respect ;) ;)

Actually that limit to me, is the charm of the game.

It's an unrealistic limitation, which I think would improve the game if removed.

Berzerk was the inspiration for Robotron.....so pay some respect ;) ;)

No disrespect intended at all. Berzerk is a great classic, and K-razy Shoot-Out pales in comparison for a lot of reasons (aside from the ones I already listed). And, yes, easy to see Robotron was inspired by it.

Edited by MrFish

It's an unrealistic limitation.....

Then again.....walking around in endless mazes shooting endless robots, an immortal and deadly happy smile face that chases you ain't all that realistic anyway....

Alan created this game following a dream.....I guess a nightmare he had.....as such he truly captured it.

I find the endless feeling of the game rather intriguing......a bit like the movie The Cube.....you know it's pointless.....and that death will wait at the end....but there's nothing else to do then survive.....in fact....sometimes life actually feels this way....

Did you guys ever see the full board set of Berzerk arcade......it's insane.....if you see it, you will respect the A8 version even more..... :)

Edited by Level42

I got that backwards. You can't run and shoot at the same time. You can sort of stutter-step run/shoot, if you let off the button quickly after each shot.

I wonder what it would be like to use a rotary control for aiming and then a joystick with the button on top for running and firing.

There is a trick in Berzerk, I'm guessing they just didn't program it out, where you can "scoot" along by moving the joystick into the diagonal and back - this way you can outrun Otto! It makes the game more playable and you get further which also increases the intensity. Great game, as is K-Razy Shootout.

More info on both of these games (and other clones) in these HSC threads:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/179087-hsc8-round-5-berzerk/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/213005-hsc10-round-9-berzerk/?hl=%20berzerk

I just discover that the cart dump version is the one I cannot start. If I press start the game made something similar to a reset.

The xex version posted in this thread worked without problems.

Hit start. Maybe your keyboard is going out. Fire button just raises the level. FYI - Hitting either option or select upon first boot ( a few times ) will give you the voices with different pitch and speed.

Edited by manterola