Tailgunner homebrew underway

vectrex tailgunner homebrew

3 replies to this topic

#1 gtoal OFFLINE  

gtoal

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:30 PM

I don't know how much crossover there is between this forum and the vectrex area at proboards - in case there are homebrew programmers here who aren't aware of it - I've (re)started a project to write a Tailgunner lookalike which I started about 15 years ago and then shelved.  This time I am determined to finish it and have got a lot farther than I did before - WIP can be seen at http://gtoal.com/vec...gunner/main.bin- I've been building it piece by piece and am now getting to the hard bit - the ships.

I may have to cut a couple of corners but from experiments so far I think it should look enough like the original to evoke some of the same feeling when playing it.

Anyway... I am coding this in public view - a recent (if not up to the hour) source will always be posted in http://gtoal.com/vec...ner/main.c.html(or http://gtoal.com/vectrex/tailgunner/main.c ) and suggestions and collaborations are (extremely) welcome.  Even criticisms :-)  (Very thick skinned, I won't take offence.  However some limitations I do already know about and were either expedient to get something started or are shortcuts to avoid computational overheads)

I know people have wanted Tailgunner on the Vectrex for a long time, so if you're one of them and a programmer, feel free to contribute.  This will be open source and free in all senses.  I've set myself an informal deadline of Christmas (this year ;-) ) and one of the reasons I'm working on this in public view is so that there's pressure on me to finish it this time :-)

Graham

#2 fiddlepaddle OFFLINE  

fiddlepaddle

River Patroller

• 2,328 posts

Posted Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:54 PM

When it was in Arcades, I played Tail Gunner every chance I got...my favorite game at the time.  I love that smooth, flowing movement you get into when shooting the ships.  I've always thought it's a perfect game to port to the Vectrex; the controller is exactly what you need. 

I used to be a programmer, but don't dabble much anymore.  Seems like it should be fairly straight forward, but the details of how the ships move is very important, I think. 

I bet the original code would be very helpful.  Especially if the source code is still around (probably not likely)...

Good luck!

#3 gtoal OFFLINE  

gtoal

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts

Posted Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:35 AM

When it was in Arcades, I played Tail Gunner every chance I got...my favorite game at the time.  I love that smooth, flowing movement you get into when shooting the ships.  I've always thought it's a perfect game to port to the Vectrex; the controller is exactly what you need. 

I used to be a programmer, but don't dabble much anymore.  Seems like it should be fairly straight forward, but the details of how the ships move is very important, I think. 

I bet the original code would be very helpful.  Especially if the source code is still around (probably not likely)...

Good luck!

I did disassemble the Cinematronics ROM at one point (a by-product of generating a static binary translation of the machine code to C and Java) but not commented in enough detail to understand the algorithms.  However I have reinvented enough of it from scratch over the years to know how to duplicate the behavior (see http://phosphorus.gi...ull-screen=truefor my previous effort).  What I'm looking for help with is more the low-level vector performance stuff.  Having someone implement the various sound effects too would be very welcome.  I think for performance I'm probably going to have to replay pre-defined flightpaths and pre-calculated vectors for the ships - however if it is possible to rotate the 3D ship vectors and draw three ships fast enough in real time, then that would be the sort of thing I'ld like help with.

#4 fiddlepaddle OFFLINE  

fiddlepaddle

River Patroller

• 2,328 posts

Posted Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:51 PM

If you could do the calculations using polar coordinates, that might lighten the math load...not sure how the vectrex works, but knowing the vectrex is inherently "polar"...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vectrex, tailgunner, homebrew

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users