IGNORED

anyone know of a source for 7800 power supply connector

masschamber

It might fit, but the OEM jack had three plastic mounting points. Just two solder points on the jack would rip out/break.

Jack from best:

Atari 7800 R/A Power Jack, solder pull CB101194 $12.95

best 7800 power adapter $15

I have also used this:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cui-inc/PJ-012B/CP-012B-ND/509865

I will have to glue it down to be more secure and the way the pins lined up, the center is ground.icon_sad.gif

post-47811-0-02332100-1508127440.jpgpost-47811-0-12726600-1508127449.jpg

If your looking for the cord end - 15.2891 ac adapter - The adapter cord from a shark euro vacuum may work too, but the surround on the plug is rather large.

post-47811-0-87099500-1508127460_thumb.jpg

Edited by H454

I'm talking about the part that plugs into that

Well, since you are talking about the plug on the power adapter then here is a cheap adapter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ac-Power-Adapter-for-Atari-7800-System-/112168344158?hash=item1a1dc11a5e:g:I7IAAOSw4shYA0PD

I'm going to keep looking though to see if can find just the plug.

Assuming the part number referenced in the original e-bay link is the correct part a quick search found these...

http://www.sky-macau.com/Products/XH254-Connectors-C203/Page-1/ItemsPerPage-20.html

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/xh2.54.html

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=xh2.54

https://www.amazon.co.uk/24AWG-XH2-54-Connector-Cable-Length/dp/B015IGEBFK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508224070&sr=8-3&keywords=xh2

Some are just offering one end, others both, some you need to assemble others are pre-wired so you will have to splice those wires into the existing cable.

Could also get one of these and attach it to the same points as the original plug. This way, you could run this out of one of the rear vent slots on the 7800 without actually removing the original power jack. That way you can use an original still if you want.

https://console5.com/store/nes-genesis-1-sega-cd-tg16-jaguar-more-female-jack-w-pigtail.html

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ordered an AirTV OTA network receiver a few days ago.  Arrived yesterday and the first thing that caught my eye was the plug in its (12V) AC adapter.  It's a perfect match for the 7800 AC plug (well, except for the clip to hold it on the AirTV). 

Bit surprised to see this plug on a new device considering that outside of the 7800 I've never seen it elsewhere in all these years.

P_20190731_193752.jpg

P_20190731_193809.jpg

I'm not sure if it physically is identical, but at least a few models of the Philips Videopac G7000 (European version of the Odyssey^2) has a such mini two prong power connector. I couldn't find a matching female connector so I replaced it on my G7000 with a standard DC barrel jack, given the console itself had been modded/tampered with before. But interesting to see a such plug on new equipment. Perhaps it makes a better connection than any other type of plug available.

I also checked how well a two prong motherboard connector, think one that goes to a LED or older type of fan, would fit and believe it could kind of work, assuming the diameter of the wires is good enough to carry 9V 1A or whichever power ratings you have.

Edited by carlsson

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 5:09 AM, mutterminder said:

I put a 3.5 mm jack on one of my 7800's so I could use a readily available 2600 power supply. You could get the both the power supply and the jack for less than a replacement 7800 supply.

Atari Inc probably didn't want people plugging in their old 2600 power supplies into their brand new 7800s. I'm assuming that's why they chose the different design for the 7800's power supply plug.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/1/2019 at 8:24 AM, AlwaysOnPlanetPatrol said:

I ordered an AirTV OTA network receiver a few days ago.  Arrived yesterday and the first thing that caught my eye was the plug in its (12V) AC adapter.  It's a perfect match for the 7800 AC plug (well, except for the clip to hold it on the AirTV). 

Bit surprised to see this plug on a new device considering that outside of the 7800 I've never seen it elsewhere in all these years.

P_20190731_193752.jpg

P_20190731_193809.jpg

What you have is a set top box from the same ODM that makes the Dish Network Joey with the same plug that I reported here:

The one I had in hand used  a Delta branded power supply but another AtariAge user ordered a replacement and got LiteOn brand. Now we see yours is "NetBit" brand so it seems that all three manufacturers have access to these components even though we still don't know what it's called or where you can order them. Bizarre!

Anyway, that thread also identifies some other devices with the same plug including Brinkmann Q-Beam Max Million spotlights and the Shark Euro Pro vacuum.

I couldn't find my salvaged Brinkmann pigtails last night when a game vendor friend of mine asked me for one so I trimmed another Shark one that I found at Goodwill a year ago. Threw on some mismatched black heat shrink tubing but switched to black when I found some big enough. Then I took a "GlobTek Inc AC/DC Medical Adapter" 9v 1A DC power supply and unscrewed the casing to remove the original cord... that was also a Goodwill find and struck me as particularly high quality for a 9v PSU, hence it being serviceable with screws with positive and negative were marked inside. I threw the Shark adapter brick on the concrete in my basement to crack the casing open then ripped the wires off the PCB to retain the full length and the strain relief on both ends. The strain relief was much smaller than the original GlobTek but it slotted right in perfectly. I soldered up the wires inside and then tested the polarity with my meter. +9v should be to the right of the key/ridge when looking into the cable end with the ridge oriented up.

http://imgur.com/a/GjtPM5W

I switched to black heat shrink in the last pic.

• Like 1

Okay, in looking and thinking about this long term..

This is basically a JST 2-conductor connector setup. So it should be possible to get such connectors with the male plug side having 90 degree bent terminal leads for soldering into a PCB. Use the female ends off of common adapters that meet the voltage and current specs. It would require having to shave down the female connector so it doesn't try and LOCK into place as they usually do but that would probably work? Wouldn't look as elegant but these connectors are basically the same.

• 2 years later...
On 8/1/2019 at 7:24 AM, AlwaysOnPlanetPatrol said:

P_20190731_193752.jpg

P_20190731_193809.jpg

I saw a net bit power supply just like this on Ebay.  But my official 7800 supply and atariguide supply are both 9v.  So 12v will be too much for the Atari 7800 won't it?  And not sure what polarity this is?  And 1.5amp is enough?

12v is fine because an actual 7800 PSU puts out about 13v without a load and drops down to about 11- 10v into the actual console. The voltage regulator in the system can handle 12v without issue. Just build up a little more heat than usual.

The amperage is also fine as the original is only a 1Amp rated output supply. So this one being 1.5A just means it is rated to put out .5A more than the OEM. The console will ONLY draw the amount of Amperage it actually needs. PSUs do not shove the full current to the systems.

but...

BUT if I'm reading that label right, the polarity on that Net Bit supply is reversed to what goes into the 7800. If looking at their pic on the adapter indicates the polarity on the plug itself, then it is backwards. If it is indicating the polarity with respect to the actual device it plugs into, then it it would be right. But I'm pretty sure that diagram is depicting the plug on the adapter and the polarity is reversed. So...NO you should not use that PSU without modifying the wiring on the PSU to reverse the polarity or somehow modifying the 7800 console.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

12v is fine because an actual 7800 PSU puts out about 13v without a load and drops down to about 11- 10v into the actual console. The voltage regulator in the system can handle 12v without issue. Just build up a little more heat than usual.

The amperage is also fine as the original is only a 1Amp rated output supply. So this one being 1.5A just means it is rated to put out .5A more than the OEM. The console will ONLY draw the amount of Amperage it actually needs. PSUs do not shove the full current to the systems.

but...

BUT if I'm reading that label right, the polarity on that Net Bit supply is reversed to what goes into the 7800. If looking at their pic on the adapter indicates the polarity on the plug itself, then it is backwards. If it is indicating the polarity with respect to the actual device it plugs into, then it it would be right. But I'm pretty sure that diagram is depicting the plug on the adapter and the polarity is reversed. So...NO you should not use that PSU without modifying the wiring on the PSU to reverse the polarity or somehow modifying the 7800 console.

Where does it say polarity in the photo there?  And this one is + polarity.  And what polarity is the 7800 by default?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186067575697?hash=item2b527de391:g:UcoAAOSwFrFk-JtO&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4FdQNIUc13oLAITp5Lpqwr%2Bdobu16d8D%2BzWFThhsL6oeWhSmsgyVHSukEXdmsYUJgKf67VQRdS9pyrjikj1Tt74Sl01C%2B6ukQB6%2FkIqq8wTYQoKjQOfTzkOccKHJgZAY8gbKXtUvcfomagGiRPl8bLbaKYQ1YE9mNw%2FBcJeNmDzH8Em2ZR5XToab76sXjQXVt03HSbD0CE%2FXxiu%2B41L%2FjQUf0MYYrSVWIFb5%2B0d2Opp%2B4jZFxEAzdpyhW9DfpPi06Vm5Gamxm%2FuaYKfUwBECQRzfPgZ3gKIvbOVytwR%2FKQEo|tkp%3ABk9SR4Tl04z2Yg

Edited by 0078265317

You can test with a meter to determine the polarity.  One side is positive and one is negative.  If the positive is on the wrong side, you can just cut the cord and re-attach the wires with the correct polarity.  Or you could just put that end on any other 9V 1a supply in the correct orientation.