IGNORED

What's your fav B/W game?

Keatah

Again we deal with the issue of there not being color in a game vs the game being only B&W. The GameBoy can actually produce 4 shades of green and never displays anything in Black or White.

Whatever - I still think Tetris fits into the discussion somewhere with other classic B&W games.

Depends on what you consider only being in B&W. It never produced 4 shades of green. That just was the quality of the screen it started out in. The raw code of the game was black, white, and 2 shades of in between much like a black and white TV. Gameboy Pocket came out a few years after the GB and it had a straight black and white LCD.

• Like 2

When I played Tetris in the 1980s, it was on a PC in full colour.

Not me. Mine looked (and more importantly, sounded) like this

The GB version is iconic, though. Steve Wozniak (Apple co-founder) is a savant at it. https://www.cultofmac.com/223321/apple-co-founder-steve-wozniak-is-so-awesome-at-tetris-he-was-once-a-champion-at-it-video/

• Like 1

Wasn't like the true original Tetris from the USSR done on a no-color old commie computer? I think it started there, then slowly got introduced to color depending where you found it. The very early DOS version was that way but as it got a few releases you had color ANSI/ASCII graphics for the game and they were colorized as I had that like 20 years back. The co-developer you never hear of name was Vadim something, he released it for people to enjoy from where he was working at the time which I think was MIT.

Wasn't like the true original Tetris from the USSR done on a no-color old commie computer? I think it started there, then slowly got introduced to color depending where you found it. The very early DOS version was that way but as it got a few releases you had color ANSI/ASCII graphics for the game and they were colorized as I had that like 20 years back. The co-developer you never hear of name was Vadim something, he released it for people to enjoy from where he was working at the time which I think was MIT.

http://vadim.oversigma.com/Tetris.htm

Yes, Tetris was originally programmed on a Russian minicomputer with a green text terminal. Only a couple of people had access to it so they got a high school kid to convert it to MS-DOS; text graphics but full colour. That version spread like crazy in eastern Europe; you can download it at the above link.

The other MS-DOS version, which is what most played had EGA colour graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWOkrvaPhBQ

Edited by mr_me

Cool I didn't think I was too far off. I remember an older website that Vadim himself ran at MIT 20 years back where he put a nice story out about the development with original green/black or black and white imagery of the game and then about the conversion for the west and it always fascinated me. I found it when I was in college in the 90s as oddly part of a research project for a political science stats/survey course as we were free to do anything for research so I did a series of questions around Tetris scoring, play, benefits of it as it was about that time medical journals started talking it up for hand eye coordination/healing of the mind properties and mental exercise.

I grew up with an Apple II so that was my window into B&W games. I spent a lot of time with Night Driver, Lunar Lander, and Space Invaders... but also the Scott Adams adventures and derivatives!

I also remember playing a lot of Tail Gunner, Oldorf and Sabotage (might not count vlbut has minimum color). I would also add Apple BASIC to the list, given how much time I spent fooling around with it :)

Edited by Newsdee

Asteroids of course... but I also have a fond spot for Omega Race. When I was in high school, the library in the local shopping mall had a sit-down cocktail table version. (Yes, strange thing to have in a library...) I lost many quarters in that machine.

• 4 weeks later...