IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard Pre-order & Interest Thread

MacRorie

I am interested in:

1 blue bareboard with complete BOM EXCEPT Daughterboards and Atari chips.

Depending much on shipping costs to Europe.

Apart from U1MB, which daughter boards will I be missing ?

UAV and SparkFun BOB-12731 FTDI SIO2PC-USB

- Michael

• Like 1

So that's three things right Michael ?

- UAV....I guess only needed if not hooking up through any of the modern video outputs ?

- SIO2PC-USB, I have Lotharek's SIO connector to USB....i guess this should work on the 1088 just as well ?

- not sure what the Sparkfun USB to serial is needed for ?

So....if I'm not mistaking non of these are essential for the 1088XEL to run/be of use ?

- UAV....I guess only needed if not hooking up through any of the modern video outputs ?

- SIO2PC-USB, I have Lotharek's SIO connector to USB....i guess this should work on the 1088 just as well ?

So....if I'm not mistaking non of these are essential for the 1088XEL to run/be of use ?

Um, what modern video outputs?

The Sparkfun board *is* the SIO2PC-USB interface.

• Like 3

The UAV is the 'standard' video output for the XEL. So unless you plan to have a Sophia or VBXE, you'll be needing this board. The SIO2PC-USB is optional, and yes the Lotharek board could be used instead, but you do loose the SIO Jack (could always plug it in after another device like a 1050 or XF551).

- Michael

• Like 1

The Sparkfun board *is* the SIO2PC-USB interface.

Well I googled "SparkFun BOB-12731 FTDI" since I wasn't sure if Michael meant two separate things....and it hit me up with this

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12731

So I got confused. Sorry but I did not read/follow each single step in the 1088 process...

Anyway all,is clear now.....I don't use SiO2PC-USB all the time with my real machines anyway so I'll be fine without it and the Lotharek plug will do for me.

I'm a fan of The!cart and probably will use that the most. Has it been tested with 1088XEL already ?

Ordering Lotharek U1MB directly from him is probably cheaper since I'm in Europe and i already have all the VLSI chips at hand so going with the "no daughterboards" option is my best choice also because I don't need the extra SIO2PC-USB.

So the leaves only the UAV to order extra.....or SOPHiA....tough decision....I like RGB because I'm a fan of using CRT's.

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

UPDATE (15NOV17): Realan H80 Cases have been ordered and are in hand. Will be finalizing prices and stuff by the end of the week. Interest list has been updated. All paid baseboards have been shipped. ALL BLUE BOARDS have been spoken for. All Future requests will be with GREEN boards. NOW is the time to make sure you have the color you want. Check the list, if there needs to be a change, I need to know pretty soon!

Hi MacRorie - I don’t see you have me down for a BOM +Daughterboards combo. Thanks!

Uh....so the blue boards were all gone before my request ? Not a deal breaker just making sure you noticed my request...

By the way.....you are crazy ( in the right way)for taking this on....what an insane amount of work, space and patience......THANKS !!!!

Uh....so the blue boards were all gone before my request ? Not a deal breaker just making sure you noticed my request...

By the way.....you are crazy ( in the right way)for taking this on....what an insane amount of work, space and patience......THANKS !!!!

I'll swap my blue for your green, if you want. I'm not too particular, either way.

• Like 1

That is AWESOME THANKS !!!

I'm looking into building it into a plexi/perspex case....

Maybe this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acrylic-Clear-Mini-ITX-HTPC-Case-with-dc-atx-160W-power-supply-I0AA-M2-P-US/222720137185?hash=item33db2797e1:g:2ioAAOSwImRYkGw6

or maybe I'll make that a DIY project...I don't really like the fan holes on the right side of that one...

Edited by Level42
  • Like 2

If I just stick with the Realan case (I've already purchased one) and not go for something else for the moment (haven't decided if I'll get the printed one offered here, yet), a couple of small things I'll probably do, is get some decorative thumb-screws (large-headed, finger-turn-able), for the top, so I can get into it easily. Also thinking of getting another, possibly clear, top, or perhaps tweaking Michael's design a little, so it's in multiple layers (might be pushing it at this thickness), having a view window in the middle and an outline, in metal, around the edge and around certain elements. And some nice little feet for the case, as well. :)

• Like 1

MacRorie have you considered sending a board + complete BOM-UNASSEMBLED to 'The 8-bit guy' he asked for boards to feature on his very popular channel at the end of this video

Maybe not right away but once you are ready you could get some great exposure. In that video he built a PE6502 Hobby Computer but that computer is weak as he explained.

Edited by Sugarland
  • Like 1

MacRorie have you considered sending a board + complete BOM-UNASSEMBLED to 'The 8-bit guy' he asked for boards to feature on his very popular channel at the end of this video

Why would MacRorie send $300+ worth of rare Atari-specific stuff to a complete stranger so the stranger can make money off a video showing it?

I like YouTube videos as much as the next guy but the phenomenon of people sending these guys thousands of dollars of stuff per month for free boggles my mind.

• Like 2

Why would MacRorie send $300+ worth of rare Atari-specific stuff to a complete stranger so the stranger can make money off a video showing it?

I like YouTube videos as much as the next guy but the phenomenon of people sending these guys thousands of dollars of stuff per month for free boggles my mind.

Well excuuuuuuuuse me!

Edited by Sugarland

If an 1088XEL made an appearance on 8bitGuy's web show it would definitely increase exposure and possibly bring a few more sales. I'd have to agree with Dr. Venkman though, as $300 is a lot of money. 8bitGuy did say the 1088XEL was a cool project on Facebook, so he is already aware of it.

Just my 2 cents... Based on the response I'm seeing here since this topic started, I doubt that MacRorie really needs any help at drumming up interest. Pretty soon he'll have to hire someone to keep up with all the orders.

- Michael

• Like 7

Level42, not to worry. If Blue is absolutely essential, I reserved a few for overlap, just in case of a situation like this. If it is essential, please let me know.

EVERYONE: As I have said, if you need a particular color, you HAVE to let me know. Eventually, even the reserved ones will disappear. Granted, it looks like another order will probably be made, but I am NOT doing that until I get all of this backlog solved. Thanksgiving is coming to the US soon and I *have* to get my dining table cleared. Today and tomorrow's job is to clear the dining table and put out a price list for the BOM & Assembled options. Saturday and sunday is producing more UNO and Ultimate carts, Monday & Tuesday is teaching undergraduates public speaking and Wednesday is preparing for Thanksgiving. Egads, what have I done?!?!

• Like 4

Maybe not right away but once you are ready you could get some great exposure. In that video he built a PE6502 Hobby Computer but that computer is weak as he explained.

That is a cool video. I think the demand I have right now is pretty cool. However, when things cool down, that is certainly something to keep in mind! Thanks

If an 1088XEL made an appearance on 8bitGuy's web show it would definitely increase exposure and possibly bring a few more sales. I'd have to agree with Dr. Venkman though, as $300 is a lot of money. 8bitGuy did say the 1088XEL was a cool project on Facebook, so he is already aware of it.

Certainly something to keep in mind . . . for later MUCH MUCH later! ;-)

• Like 2