IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard Pre-order & Interest Thread

MacRorie

I'll try to get payment out around the first of the month for the assembled board, with all of the needed "Things to make us go." (Daughter boards, chips, etc.) icon_smile.gif Some of the other pending bits and bobs are still of personal interest ( :D ) and we'll deal with them as their time comes, but first we need to help MacRorie recoup a little - energy, resources and doughnut money, before we lock him in the solder dungeon for the next few months. This is a major undertaking, and as someone who barely knows the handle from the tip end of a soldering iron, I'm especially thankful.icon_smile.gif

• Like 3

Seems to be okay. Let me know if you did not get the confirmation email.

BTW, I am currently waiting for 10 Ultimate 1M boards to arrive. They were shipped about 23 Nov, so I am hopeful they will get here soon.

Cool. :) I ordered a U1MB a couple months ago for one of my machines - took about 12 calendar days to arrive to me in the Nashville, Tennessee area. Not sure if going to your area will run longer or not.

Just out of curiosity, would Lotharek build them with IDC box headers or will we have to swap those out when kits arrive?

Cool. :) I ordered a U1MB a couple months ago for one of my machines - took about 12 calendar days to arrive to me in the Nashville, Tennessee area. Not sure if going to your area will run longer or not.

Just out of curiosity, would Lotharek build them with IDC box headers or will we have to swap those out when kits arrive?

I did not ask for different headers. Those will have to be swapped out. If I have time before shipping, I will desolder some. The reason being is that I have to do it for some fully assembly customers and once you get in a groove with the re-work station, I tend to stay with it until done. No promises, but will try.

• Like 1

I have been way too busy to follow up on this thread, have actual orders started? Looks like an awesome project and... well I want one :P

They have indeed. Check the first post for updates regarding pricing and timing and what is available right now.

Edit: Feel free to ask me any questions you wish (and that goes for EVERYONE) via PM or email!

Edited by MacRorie

Just wanted to update this post. I've finished the third video on the PIC adapter itself. So I updated the pdf file with the link to the final Youtube video.

excellent guideline and video.

Unfortunately I only have a PICkit-2 - don't seem to work with the MPLAB-X IDE

Do I need to get a PICkit-3?

regards

Michael

excellent guideline and video.

Unfortunately I only have a PICkit-2 - don't seem to work with the MPLAB-X IDE

Do I need to get a PICkit-3?

regards

Michael

I don't know of any reason for MIcrochip to drop support for PICKit2 yet. Doesn't seem to work is not enough information to go on. Information is king. What operating system are you using? What version of MPLAB-X? Where did you get the PICKit2? There are copies and there are originals. Some are not equal to each other. I'm using a copy of the PICKit3. It doesn't behave exactly like the original, but it does work.

Did you verify that the PICKit2 is recognized by MPLAB-X IDE? If you can't select it in the settings tree, then you may not have the correct drivers installed. It's a USB device, so not correct drivers = not seen, not working.

I don't know of any reason for MIcrochip to drop support for PICKit2 yet. Doesn't seem to work is not enough information to go on. Information is king. What operating system are you using? What version of MPLAB-X? Where did you get the PICKit2? There are copies and there are originals. Some are not equal to each other. I'm using a copy of the PICKit3. It doesn't behave exactly like the original, but it does work.

Did you verify that the PICKit2 is recognized by MPLAB-X IDE? If you can't select it in the settings tree, then you may not have the correct drivers installed. It's a USB device, so not correct drivers = not seen, not working.

Ok, running 4.05 version of the IDE on Mac OS High Sierra.

Downloaded the IDE from the Microchip Homepage directly.

This is the Programmer I use

11e5669eb8b939e9f3e450e6b5871e3c.jpg

...and here we see, that the PICkit-2 is displayed red when I import the HEX file

07b4e325766fbafd0352fd2659c47e5f.jpg

Last time I used the programmer is about 2 years back, but I think I used my Windows PC at that point of time

Regards

Michael

First of all you might be better off to use the IPE (Integrated Programmer Environment) for flashing PIC's (it should be one of the install options in the full MPLAB-X package). I have attached the Windows version of the IPE which you'll want to substitute the included Device Definition file for the one in either this Windows installation or the one in your Linux build, since the original file as provided by Microchip is rather outdated and likely won't include either the 16F1847 or the 12F1571 devices. I also use a Linux based system and run the Windows PICkit2 IPE in Virtualbox under MicroXP with very good results.

PICkit2_Windows_IPE_Updated.zip

Then you'll have to run the calibration procedure one time (info here).

And finally when wanting to re-flash the PIC16F1847, you'll need to select from Device Family>Midrange>1.8V (or something close to that).

Hope that helps :)

- Michael

Ok, running 4.05 version of the IDE on Mac OS High Sierra.

Downloaded the IDE from the Microchip Homepage directly.

This is the Programmer I use

11e5669eb8b939e9f3e450e6b5871e3c.jpg

...and here we see, that the PICkit-2 is displayed red when I import the HEX file

07b4e325766fbafd0352fd2659c47e5f.jpg

Last time I used the programmer is about 2 years back, but I think I used my Windows PC at that point of time

Regards

Michael

I'm not familiar with Macs at all. But I did go looking on my setup on Windows 10 to see if MPLABX supported the PICKit2. It does, but.....some chips are not supported with the older programmer. For instance the 16F1847 does not seem to be supported using the Pickit2 with the MPLABX software.

There should be a .htm file on using the Pickit2 Programmer in the Microchip/MPLABX/4.0x/docs folder. There's a link to the list of PICs that it supports.

That said, other versions of the MPLAB may. I know Michael(mytekcontrols) does use his Pickit2, but I'm not sure for the 16F1847 or not. In fact he indicated that he found the Pickit3 seemed flaky to him. I did a Google search to see if other people were having the same problem and found some older posts that indicated there was a dedicated program that simply took the hex file and programmed it into the PICKit2. I think it used the command line.

Do you still have your Windows PC? If so I would try using the existing software version installed on it to see if it will work.

Otherwise, yes, it does look like you will need to upgrade the programmer to PICKIt3 or go with either of mytekcontrols Joy2PC versions.

thanks for all the hints and tips - amazing support here in this forum :-)

First of all you might be better off to use the IPE (Integrated Programmer Environment) for flashing PIC's (it should be one of the install options in the full MPLAB-X package). I have attached the Windows version of the IPE which you'll want to substitute the included Device Definition file for the one in either this Windows installation or the one in your Linux build, since the original file as provided by Microchip is rather outdated and likely won't include either the 16F1847 or the 12F1571 devices. I also use a Linux based system and run the Windows PICkit2 IPE in Virtualbox under MicroXP with very good results.

attachicon.gifPICkit2_Windows_IPE_Updated.zip

Then you'll have to run the calibration procedure one time (info here).

And finally when wanting to re-flash the PIC16F1847, you'll need to select from Device Family>Midrange>1.8V (or something close to that).

Hope that helps :)

- Michael

The IPE is part of the MAC SW package, but also not recognizing the PICkit-2, but I can select the PIC16F1847.

So I have already ordered a PICkit-3 and will try again once it arrives.

Unfortunately I will be off for a week on a business trip to Asia, so will continue next weekend

I'm not familiar with Macs at all. But I did go looking on my setup on Windows 10 to see if MPLABX supported the PICKit2. It does, but.....some chips are not supported with the older programmer. For instance the 16F1847 does not seem to be supported using the Pickit2 with the MPLABX software.

There should be a .htm file on using the Pickit2 Programmer in the Microchip/MPLABX/4.0x/docs folder. There's a link to the list of PICs that it supports.

That said, other versions of the MPLAB may. I know Michael(mytekcontrols) does use his Pickit2, but I'm not sure for the 16F1847 or not. In fact he indicated that he found the Pickit3 seemed flaky to him. I did a Google search to see if other people were having the same problem and found some older posts that indicated there was a dedicated program that simply took the hex file and programmed it into the PICKit2. I think it used the command line.

Do you still have your Windows PC? If so I would try using the existing software version installed on it to see if it will work.

Otherwise, yes, it does look like you will need to upgrade the programmer to PICKIt3 or go with either of mytekcontrols Joy2PC versions.

My Windows PC is already in the trashcan ;-)

Using Parallels on the MAC to run the very few windows programs I might need - so this could be an option to try.

Linux could also be an option ...

But I expect that with the PICkit-3 the Microchip tools for MAC should work just fine - we will see next weekend

Reards

Michael

thanks for all the hints and tips - amazing support here in this forum :-)

The IPE is part of the MAC SW package, but also not recognizing the PICkit-2, but I can select the PIC16F1847.

So I have already ordered a PICkit-3 and will try again once it arrives.

Unfortunately I will be off for a week on a business trip to Asia, so will continue next weekend

My Windows PC is already in the trashcan ;-)

Using Parallels on the MAC to run the very few windows programs I might need - so this could be an option to try.

Linux could also be an option ...

But I expect that with the PICkit-3 the Microchip tools for MAC should work just fine - we will see next weekend

Reards

Michael

Sorry to hear that you are having so much problem with getting your PICkit2 to work. But this also has a lot to do with why I was working on this much simpler solution which in reality, really isn't any more expensive then the PICkit2 or 3 once you factor in the extra accessories you'll likely need to actually do stand-alone flashing of PIC chips.

joy2pic-stik-assembly_1_orig.png

http://ataribits.weebly.com/joy2pic.html

Basically if you are just seeking the ability to flash the chips on the 1088XEL (or any of my other projects) this is about as simple as it gets utilizing the auto-loading flashing ATR's I supply, and your A8 as the programmer (which most people on this forum have access to).

I do have a OSHpark buy link on the site for convenience, but to be honest you would be far better off to grab the gerber files (also provided) and seek out ALLPCB, where you can get 5 bare boards for $5 (minimum order) with FREE DHL shipping. The rest of the parts to build one complete board would likely add another $5 to that total cost. So for a total cost of $10 you could have everything required to build one of these (and have 4 spare bare boards left over). If DIY is not in your skill set, perhaps fully assembled ones will become available down the road. Although if someone ever wanted to get into learning how to solder, this would be a good beginner's project ;) .

Here's a good source for that ZIF socket that the JOY2PIC-STIK requires: https://www.ebay.com/itm/18-Pin-Universal-ZIF-DIP-Tester-IC-Test-Socket-CA-NEW-CA/141975824728?hash=item210e6b2958:g:M0oAAOxyVtxSLwDb

BTW, that FREE shipping offer at ALPCB just happened recently, and I don't know if that will always be the case.

Good Luck :)

- Michael

Thanks for that link. I just bought one of those ZIF sockets. Hopefully MacRorie will add DIY kits for this to his lineup so people don't have jump through hoops buying five boards, a dozen or more of each component, etc., all from different suppliers and then waiting days or weeks for everything to trickle in.

Thanks for that link. I just bought one of those ZIF sockets. Hopefully MacRorie will add DIY kits for this to his lineup so people don't have jump through hoops buying five boards, a dozen or more of each component, etc., all from different suppliers and then waiting days or weeks for everything to trickle in.

The ones I have will only work with DropCheck's Universal PIC programmer (28 pin). I could order some of these, sure.

Edit: Ordered

• Like 1

I purchased 3 boards and have the components in hand minus the ZIF sockets. Once the sockets arrive and I complete the soldering I will have two extra JOY2PIC-STIKs that I will sell at cost + shipping to anyone who is interested.

Mike

Please let me know when you get those done. I'm definitely interested. I might have all I need together to build one of my own but if not, I'll buy one of them. :)

Hello,

I just updated the first post #1 with case pricing and option 3, 4, & 5. Let me know if you have any questions. Still waiting on a daughterboard. All purchases have been updated via email. If you purchased (and are listed in the interest list with "PENDING" and did NOT receive an email from me today, please contact me directly.

Click on the link: #1 for all updates.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I would be keen on a 2A but I would need to confirm this would be for a PAL build, and the PSU listed in the BOM states 90v-264v which I have not seen before, this would be OK on our 250v 50Hz in NZ?. Cheers.

On reflection I wont go for the bundle and I will buy the PCB and just buy the parts as I can afford for them, I also need to build the JOY2PIC first.