My Adam Blog

12 replies to this topic

#1 Milli Vee OFFLINE  

Milli Vee

Space Invader

• 28 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:18 AM

Hi Guys

I have finally gotten time to really do some new and interesting stuff on the Adam and to document it on my blog http://smartbasic.net/

Yesterday and today I have posted 7 articles:

Type Ins and Boot Strapping – Let’s Make a CP/M Tape!
Online Tools
Turbo Pascal for CP/M and TDOS
Importing Files into TDOS (and CP/M)
Making Tapes and Disks from Images
Importing Files Into TDOS

and more are coming! I hope you can take the time to visit, I am trying to revive the Adam as a computer instead of just a strange Colecovision

:)

Milli

#2 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,798 posts

Posted Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:21 PM

Thanks for all your hard work, Milli. It's great to see someone championing such a great, but unfortunately mostly ignored, computer system. Hopefully your efforts will eventually bring about the creation of some new entertainment software down the road!!!

#3 The Evener OFFLINE  

The Evener

Star Raider

• 87 posts

Posted Fri Nov 3, 2017 9:21 PM

Thanks for starting this! I am heading over right now...  :)

#4 digress OFFLINE  

digress

Dragonstomper

• 911 posts

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 11:16 AM

I think it has at least a few of unique or advantages over every modern computer in my house. 

1) you can type and print a note instantly. No need to look for printer drivers. literally 10 secs you can have a hard copy from the moment you press power on

2) you can play a game instantly with a proper jpystick if you have some cartridges handy.

3) I can actually read the damn screen. 

4) it doesn't require a mouse!

Biggest problem is having a dedicated location for it so it could be setup to use at anytime. 

Hi Guys

I have finally gotten time to really do some new and interesting stuff on the Adam and to document it on my blog http://smartbasic.net/

Yesterday and today I have posted 7 articles:

Type Ins and Boot Strapping – Let’s Make a CP/M Tape!
Online Tools
Turbo Pascal for CP/M and TDOS
Importing Files into TDOS (and CP/M)
Making Tapes and Disks from Images
Importing Files Into TDOS

and more are coming! I hope you can take the time to visit, I am trying to revive the Adam as a computer instead of just a strange Colecovision

:)

Milli

#5 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,699 posts

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 12:22 PM

Personally, I wouldn't call that an "advantage". While there wasn't really a true need for it BITD, because the screen was tile-based and its resolution was low, some innovative software could still have been developed with the use of a mouse. I like to believe ADAMCalc would have been fun to use with a mouse.

#6 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,798 posts

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2017 10:06 PM

While a Mouse is not required, there were 3 different Mouse products released for the ADAM. But the best Mouse type device available for the ADAM is the Roller Controller's Trakball with the switch set to Joystick. Try it out in SmartWriter and PowerPaint... don't recall if AdamCalc accepted input from the Hand Controller.

#7 phattyboombatty ONLINE  

phattyboombatty

Stargunner

• 1,103 posts

Posted Sun Nov 5, 2017 1:23 PM

Milli, I am personally very impressed with the blog. It is very easy to navigate and comprehend the CP/M and SmartBasic code. I look forward to trying it out! Please keep up the good work.

#8 digress OFFLINE  

digress

Dragonstomper

• 911 posts

Posted Sun Nov 5, 2017 1:46 PM

I  don't mind a mouse. What I meant really is that it isn't required and gives a very different user interface experience.

PLus I speant the first 10 years of using computers in the 80's drawing all graphics for games etc. using only a keyboard. 

I think it has at least a few of unique or advantages over every modern computer in my house. 

1) you can type and print a note instantly. No need to look for printer drivers. literally 10 secs you can have a hard copy from the moment you press power on

2) you can play a game instantly with a proper jpystick if you have some cartridges handy.

3) I can actually read the damn screen. 

Biggest problem is having a dedicated location for it so it could be setup to use at anytime. 

#9 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Moonsweeper

• 380 posts

Posted Mon Nov 6, 2017 10:04 AM

Milli Vee your new website lists the Mega copy device.

I use to own a Mega copy device when it was hard to locate blank Digital Data Packs. This device allowed one to create Digital Data Packs by copying the format onto a blank computer grade tape. Audio tapes also needed two holes drilled in the cassette shell so that they would mount and fit in the Digital Data Drive. The original Coleco Loran Digital Data Packs always lasted longer then converted audio tapes. People that used name brand higher quality audio tapes had better experiences. When I went to a disk drive (first 5.25 inch then 3.5 inch) I got rid of the Mega copy device in the 80's since I no longer needed it to make Digital Data Packs. The Coleco ADAM allows one to make backup copies of software on Digital Data Packs and disks that are not copy protected. The Coleco ADAM would allow one to format a disk, however a Digital Data Pack was always pre-formatted at the factory and the Coleco ADAM would not allow one to format a tape or re-format a Digital Data Pack. The excellent feature of the Mega Copy hardware device, is it allowed one to format a audio tape in a ADAM computer for those that wanted to make their own Digital Data Packs.      

Edited by HDTV1080P, Mon Nov 6, 2017 10:13 AM.

#10 adamcon OFFLINE  

adamcon

Moonsweeper

• 297 posts

Posted Mon Nov 6, 2017 4:35 PM

Milli Vee your new website lists the Mega copy device.

I use to own a Mega copy device when it was hard to locate blank Digital Data Packs. This device allowed one to create Digital Data Packs by copying the format onto a blank computer grade tape. Audio tapes also needed two holes drilled in the cassette shell so that they would mount and fit in the Digital Data Drive. The original Coleco Loran Digital Data Packs always lasted longer then converted audio tapes. People that used name brand higher quality audio tapes had better experiences. When I went to a disk drive (first 5.25 inch then 3.5 inch) I got rid of the Mega copy device in the 80's since I no longer needed it to make Digital Data Packs. The Coleco ADAM allows one to make backup copies of software on Digital Data Packs and disks that are not copy protected. The Coleco ADAM would allow one to format a disk, however a Digital Data Pack was always pre-formatted at the factory and the Coleco ADAM would not allow one to format a tape or re-format a Digital Data Pack. The excellent feature of the Mega Copy hardware device, is it allowed one to format a audio tape in a ADAM computer for those that wanted to make their own Digital Data Packs.      

What I was told and apparently correctly, was to use Sony 60 minute tapes.  They seemed to work extremely well, although some third party data packs I have here are on almost every brand in civilization; some copied data pack tapes don' t even look familiar or have a name on them. What I have had happen is that disks just lose their minds and even leave dirty magnetic material on the drive heads, requiring cleaning.

#11 DrBoss302 OFFLINE  

DrBoss302

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 9:06 PM

While a Mouse is not required, there were 3 different Mouse products released for the ADAM. But the best Mouse type device available for the ADAM is the Roller Controller's Trakball with the switch set to Joystick. Try it out in SmartWriter and PowerPaint... don't recall if AdamCalc accepted input from the Hand Controller.

What were the three Mouse products released for the ADAM?

I believe I purchased one in the late 80's from a vendor in Saskatoon Saskatchewan, but cannot remember his name.

Thanks for any info.

#12 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Moonsweeper

• 380 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 11:19 PM

The Coleco roller controller was excellent with games like Slither, true 360 degree movement. I use to own a third party mouse for the ADAM that plugged into the joystick port and was powered by a small AC to DC wall transformer, however as far as I am aware all the third party software for the mouse operated in joystick mode. Besides games for the roller controller I never saw any Windows type interface for the ADAM that used a true 360 degree movement of a mouse. 

#13 NIAD OFFLINE  

NIAD

Quadrunner

• 5,798 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:14 PM

What were the three Mouse products released for the ADAM?

I believe I purchased one in the late 80's from a vendor in Saskatoon Saskatchewan, but cannot remember his name.

Thanks for any info.

Man, you're really making me delve into the deepest and darkest regions of my memory here....

Thomas Mackey (was located in Canada) released the ADAMouse I in two different version (powered externally or internally with a joystick port mod) and then later released the ADAMouse II which IIRC was powered by batteries. It's been a very long time and I would have to search thru the NIAD Newsletters in order to provide further info.

There was one other mouse product that I recall, but am drawing a blank now.... let's play stump the ADAM Historian!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users