IGNORED

your thoughts on paring down my cart collection?

digdugnate

I've been thinking about this subject a little bit in the last couple of weeks so I was interested in what other folks thought. If it's a little bit rambly I apologize- you should've seen how it looked last week!

I picked up Ralph's most awesome FinalGROM99 cart a couple of weeks ago and since then have been floored with how well it works as a 'multicart replacement' for all my cartridges I've collected up to this point.

One of the other really appealing factors is the ability to add homebrew stuff as it becomes available and the fact I'm not all the time swapping cartridges in and out of my TI (saving some wear on the cartridge port contacts).

My biggest thing up to this point for being so avid about collecting the cartridges was really that I had all the software available to me that I wanted to run on the 'real iron' TI- what few cartridges I wanted to play that I lacked is already supplemented now in my FinalGROM99. The only things I think that I'd want to actively keep of what I own are some of the more esoteric carts (like Miner 2049er) and probably the MBX cartridges.

I'm really on the fence about whether I hang on the 100+ carts I have (some with manuals, some with boxes), 'pay it forward' for other hobbyists that would have need of the carts, or use AA to start selling off my collection either a bit at a time or as a lot. I don't know that I'm really emotionally attached to the cartridges, per se, aside from just a few.

Has anyone else had this dilemma, or thought the same things as me? What are you guys' opinions and experiences (either with holding on to, selling, or both)

Thanks in advance!

Nathan

Multicarts and flashcarts sure make it tempting to want to pare down. It's a very personal thing obviously and lots to consider but I could see getting rid of *some* stuff you simply don't play or care for as much anymore. Educational carts, certain games, etc., especially if you have Espial. I'll take that worthless cartridge off your hands for cheap. :grin:

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this subject a little bit in the last couple of weeks so I was interested in what other folks thought. If it's a little bit rambly I apologize- you should've seen how it looked last week!

I picked up Ralph's most awesome FinalGROM99 cart a couple of weeks ago and since then have been floored with how well it works as a 'multicart replacement' for all my cartridges I've collected up to this point.

One of the other really appealing factors is the ability to add homebrew stuff as it becomes available and the fact I'm not all the time swapping cartridges in and out of my TI (saving some wear on the cartridge port contacts).

My biggest thing up to this point for being so avid about collecting the cartridges was really that I had all the software available to me that I wanted to run on the 'real iron' TI- what few cartridges I wanted to play that I lacked is already supplemented now in my FinalGROM99. The only things I think that I'd want to actively keep of what I own are some of the more esoteric carts (like Miner 2049er) and probably the MBX cartridges.

I'm really on the fence about whether I hang on the 100+ carts I have (some with manuals, some with boxes), 'pay it forward' for other hobbyists that would have need of the carts, or use AA to start selling off my collection either a bit at a time or as a lot. I don't know that I'm really emotionally attached to the cartridges, per se, aside from just a few.

Has anyone else had this dilemma, or thought the same things as me? What are you guys' opinions and experiences (either with holding on to, selling, or both)

Thanks in advance!

Nathan

Nathan, it would really be a determination as to whether you want to have a collection of TI99 related equipment as a measurement of your enthusiasm for this old girl. I have a decent collection of all types of TI99 stuff, as an enthusiast, got when I used to sell TI stuff at Chicago and Lima. I will probably not sell the bulk of it, just pass it to my sons, if they desire to piddle with it as I have. But you have to decide the extent you want to go. If it is just to play the carts and go, then the FG99 will definitely do the job.

Multicarts and flashcarts sure make it tempting to want to pare down. It's a very personal thing obviously and lots to consider but I could see getting rid of *some* stuff you simply don't play or care for as much anymore. Educational carts, certain games, etc., especially if you have Espial. I'll take that worthless cartridge off your hands for cheap. :grin:

ha! If only I had an Espial... :)

I think the situation on the TI-99 will be quite similar to other systems and consoles which got their Flash/SD/multi cartridge.

(We were so late because of the Grom memory speciality, therefore it required a dedicated TI-only solution of somebody with TI-99 knowledge.)

On most consoles the cartridge prices still went up, nevertheless a Flash/SD/multi cartridge got released.

Most of the persons who then still collect the real cartridges are searching for a boxed version (I don't know how it will be with TI as the TI cartridge box is mostly identical and takes huge space).

I guess for TI-99 a lot will be interested in having the manuals as the programs are not as self-explainable as maybe on console games.

Personally I still want to finish my collection of TI PHM cartridges and their label variants, I am only missing around 30 (255 of ~285).

However I am sure I will never ever be able to get all 3rd party carts, as their prices already went up so high. I am still searching to get the best of those games for a reasonable price.

If you decide to sell some of your carts, I am interested to buy the ones I am missing for a fair price.

Nathan, it would really be a determination as to whether you want to have a collection of TI99 related equipment as a measurement of your enthusiasm for this old girl. I have a decent collection of all types of TI99 stuff, as an enthusiast, got when I used to sell TI stuff at Chicago and Lima. I will probably not sell the bulk of it, just pass it to my sons, if they desire to piddle with it as I have. But you have to decide the extent you want to go. If it is just to play the carts and go, then the FG99 will definitely do the job.

That's what I'm so torn on and wanted to spend some time thinking about. Being able to use the software is a big thing for me not only with the games but with what little Assembly and Extended Basic/RXB stuff I'd want to dink with, but knowing i OWN some of it in its physical form is a lot too- for example, I'd want to hang on to the binders I've collected (like Editor/Assembler, TI LOGO II, etc) simply for nostalgia's sake.

Thank you for your opinion!

I like my cart collection. I have not been compelled to collect all of the label variants, nor was I compelled to keep my Miner 2049'er cart because it is just a horrible game.

I would like to complete what I have, though. At least when I use the rips I feel better knowing that I actually own the original and therefore I legitimately "own" the rip.

• Like 4

I'm not a big game player these days but I have kept physical cartridges for the handful of games/apps that really shaped my TI experience, including Tunnels of Doom, Parsec, Adventure, XB, EA, Mini Mem, and a few others. I sold or gave away the majority of my cartridges after realizing that they were collecting dust and taking up storage space. It certainly is a personal decision based on your experiences and desires since once they are gone, it's hard to re-acquire them.

My source/file collection is more extensive and easier to maintain, especially with the sharing possibilities between PC and TI. Of course, I am sure that I don't have as many files as Schmitzi :music: |:)

• Like 3

I'm not a big game player these days but I have kept physical cartridges for the handful of games/apps that really shaped my TI experience, including Tunnels of Doom, Parsec, Adventure, XB, EA, Mini Mem, and a few others. I sold or gave away the majority of my cartridges after realizing that they were collecting dust and taking up storage space. It certainly is a personal decision based on your experiences and desires since once they are gone, it's hard to re-acquire them.

My source/file collection is more extensive and easier to maintain, especially with the sharing possibilities between PC and TI. Of course, I am sure that I don't have as many files as Schmitzi :music: | :)

This was kind of what I was thinking and slowly going towards- I'm not super inclined to keep 'Early Learning Fun' or 'Mind Challengers', lol

Remembering ... the first time ... My first three cartridges:

• Compact English Trainer (June '82, bought with TI console)
  • Extended Basic (September '82)
  • TI Invaders (December '82)

I was just recalling.

Of course I was just a little sprout. :)

Our first carts were:

* Blasto

* Extended Basic

* Ti Invaders