Photo

Sega's SMS Shutter Glasses. Wireless possible?

Sega Master System SMS

2 replies to this topic

#1 Vectrexer OFFLINE  

Vectrexer

Moonsweeper

• 366 posts

Posted Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:23 PM

Has anyone heard of someone finding a working solution to provide wireless active shutter glasses for the Sega Master System?

Or other systems that use the same signal interface as the SMS does for its shutter glasses?

#2 fiddlepaddle OFFLINE  

fiddlepaddle

River Patroller

• 2,527 posts

Posted Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:44 PM

Somewhere within the last maybe 3 or 4 years, I read that you can use those 3d glasses that go with the new 3d TVs (and I guess the TVs are still available, but I haven't seen much promotion of them lately). 

I'm hazy on whether the glasses are actually ready to plug and play, or if they need some kind of adapter or mod.  I never followed up because I found a brand new SMS pair for $10.  Even though they don't fit my head and a modern replacement would be, I'm sure, more comfortable, they were good enough for what I needed once I took the arms off and used an elastic band to hold them on.

#3 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,458 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:12 AM

I imagine you'd add another level of synching problems. Maybe you could add a pot to adjust its reaction time and get it back together though.

Don't modern 3d shutters work at 120-240 hz though? I assume the Sega ones ran at 60 to let each eye see the image 30 x a second, but maybe their adjustable natively. I'm sure you could build a controller for them, and since the Sega would need a wireless interface anyways, it may not even be needed to mod either device.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sega, Master, System, SMS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users