IGNORED

Why the "k" on boot?

Steve Mynott

nice one Paul. you beat me to it ^^^

the "k" is kenfuser who is an AAge member.

think there's a post somewhere on here where he explains where the compactor originated - the late 90s?

the purpose was to shrink the files/disk images to a size that would not take up too much space on the comparatively minute HDDs of that time.

the "k" was added for ease of identification

Edited by Guest

That's not how I remember this... I used such a thing on the original Elite demo
(that version didn't patch the key handler so will crash if a key is press, so just cycle screens using the Start key)

I believe it stems from a 3 block bootstrapper that sits at the start of a disk image that then loads a binary executable appended to it.

That's not how I remember this... I used such a thing on the original Elite demo

(that version didn't patch the key handler so will crash if a key is press, so just cycle screens using the Start key)

I believe it stems from a 3 block bootstrapper that sits at the start of a disk image that then loads a binary executable appended to it.

not sure who you are replying to.

but i've managed to locate the original thread - which more or less confirms what Mclaneinc and myself have said

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/130681-what-is-that-k-file-in-tosec/

Edited by Guest

You both mention compacting (compression) which is unrelated to the bootstrapper and not mentioned in the thread you've cited.

The original binary being converted to a k-file atr may itself be a self-extracting program but it is not a pre-requisite and so the two responses could be misleading for readers.

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 2

don't want to argue with you - how are:

my comment (above)

the "k" is kenfuser who is an AAge member.
think there's a post somewhere on here where he explains where the compactor originated - the late 90s?
the purpose was to shrink the files/disk images to a size that would not take up too much space on the comparatively minute HDDs of that time.
the "k" was added for ease of identification
and kenuser's comment (linked thread)
Windows 95 was the norm (well, actually I had a DOS versions of many of AtrUtil's functions before AtrUtil was created).
Emulators didn't support direct loading exe's.
I don't remember if APE/SIOPC supported PC Mirror (or equivalent) at that time.
Hard drives were smaller and most people were on the internet at 14.4-28.8 dial-up so the ATR's it made were non-standard sizes (small as possible).
I purposely added the 'K' to identify them, and made the program capable of restoring the original.
The program has a few bugs here and there and was the first windows GUI program I made. Someone made a newer program (forget what is is called) with an almost identicalish interface.
i really can't see any difference.
Edited by Guest

I've booted many "k" files within emulators but I don't know that I've ever used one on real hardware. Do they work just as well as an uncompressed file on a real Atari?

They work for me on all the real hardware I have (65-130XE,600-800XL, XEGS, 1088XEL).

- Michael

• Like 3

Hi

Is kenfused the AA username for Ken Siders, the guy who recently died?

We all have to be thankful for his utilities and his K ATR standard...

I remember years ago reading a document from his webpage ( Currently at http://atari.kensclassics.org/) about the different Atari disk formats (atr, dcm, etc.), detailing its structure at the byte level...but now I cannot find it...anybody knows where can I find it?

Regards,

Louis BQ

I remember years ago reading a document from his webpage ( Currently at http://atari.kensclassics.org/) about the different Atari disk formats (atr, dcm, etc.), detailing its structure at the byte level...but now I cannot find it...anybody knows where can I find it?

Maybe you're referring to the information on this page: File Formats

It's actually on Jindroush's old site and linked to by Ken on one of the pages from the site you reference of his. The link is no longer good, though, because Jindroush no longer has his site up. The link I posted above is an archive of the site, hosted by Atarimax.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Found it! Here it is:

http://atari.kensclassics.org/dos.htm

Regards,

Louis BQ

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Maybe the "K" is for "Kompressor" in German?

I still am looking for a solution to load a .ROM or .car file, then boot Mydos, Dos, or RDOS on real hardware from an .ATR disk image.

No - it's for "K"en Siders, who sadly passed away this year.

• Like 2