Photo

back to Parsec for 2600 and making progress

multi-sprite TI-99 Parsec scrolling

14 replies to this topic

#1 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• 680 posts
  • Location:Just your average virtual quark, at any given time in a different place in Cent. TX.

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:12 AM

after a lot of interference from the real world and a lot of changing of my mind I have made some progress on the Parsec 2600.

https://fieldmousetech.wordpress.com/ 

that is my tech blog and here are some youtube videos of the meteor and single enemy with scrolling

meteors

https://youtu.be/Gs8RheHNZmY

1 enemy scrolling test

1 enemy attack test

https://youtu.be/sVYBqbyveJ4

I programming the thing in 16k  multi-sprite kernel. The multi-sprite kernel does not allow sideways scrolling so i'm doing a lot of slight-of-hand to simulate the look of sideways scrolling.

why I didn't use the other kernels is the standard kernel did not allow multiple items on the screen, which killed the swoopers. And the DPC+ kernel kept getting overwhelmed and crashing.

I still have the swoopers to do, which I already have the code in the DPC+ and standard kernel and just port over. then the tedious task of gluing the whole thing together which will take a while.

update: I think I just came up with a viable way to do a refueling tunnel. will preview soon.

Edited by hloberg, Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:22 AM.

#2 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 680 posts
  • Location:Just your average virtual quark, at any given time in a different place in Cent. TX.

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:32 AM

full 1 enemy test with the enemy changing color when hit. set to ludicrously aggressive.

https://youtu.be/Nh7BsnPYwJQ 

#3 Lewis2907 OFFLINE  

Lewis2907

Chopper Commander

• 137 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 AM

Hloberg,

Have checked to see it will work on the AFP? Thanks.

#4 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 680 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:26 PM

here is an idea for a refueling tunnel. looks different but maintains the feel (i think). it's set to fairly hard in the demo. also, i have the timer turned off.

https://youtu.be/CHbdRXN_zbU

#5 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 680 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:29 PM

Hloberg,

What is the AFP? I'm sure when you tell me I'll go DUH.

#6 doctorclu OFFLINE  

doctorclu

******Blue Max****** *****Class 4***** **Moon Master**

• 7,124 posts
  • Captain - Class 2

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:42 PM

I programming the thing in 16k  multi-sprite kernel. The multi-sprite kernel does not allow sideways scrolling so i'm doing a lot of slight-of-hand to simulate the look of sideways scrolling...

Love Parsec on the TI-99.

So how did 2600 Defender and other games like it (Stargate) do side scrolling?

#7 Lewis2907 OFFLINE  

Lewis2907

Chopper Commander

• 137 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:46 PM

AFP is Atari flash back portable

#8 Swami ONLINE  

Swami

Dragonstomper

• 835 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:58 PM

here is an idea for a refueling tunnel. looks different but maintains the feel (i think). it's set to fairly hard in the demo. also, i have the timer turned off.

https://youtu.be/CHbdRXN_zbU

Yikes! Looks like fun!

#9 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 680 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:37 PM

Love Parsec on the TI-99.

So how did 2600 Defender and other games like it (Stargate) do side scrolling?

my guess, very tight playfield. each line of the playfield looks to be only 1 or 2 pixels tall. then use a version of pfscroll to move the playfield back and forth. On one of my test I was able to do that with the standard kernel. unfortunately, I need 5 sprites on the screen at once for the swoopers which means the multi-sprite kernel which does not support scrolling.  I could do a much closer version of Parsec if I programmed it in Assembler, then I could get around some of the restrictions of BA.

#10 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 680 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:41 PM

Hloberg,

I don't have a AFP but I only use very standard 16k with 4 banks. No Supercart or DPC+ so I think there would be nothing to mess it up. It works fine on the Harmony cartridge. 

#11 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 680 posts

Posted Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:43 PM

AFP is Atari flash back portable

can it use .bin files? I can post some stuff if you want to test it.

#12 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 680 posts

Posted Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:31 AM

the way I did the refuel tunnel above was, interesting and fun but I felt it wasn't really cannon. this design is more like the refueling tunnel.

Attached File  Stella 4.7.2_ _NEW-ALT-tunl-A.bas_ 10_22_2017 1_45_02 AM.mp4   4.91MB   10 downloads

you move along the tunnel then jump to the next tunnel. no scroll, but looks right.

#13 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 3,010 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:56 AM

I notice that you're using Stella 4.7.2.  I suggest upgrading to the latest version (5.0.2), since the TIA emulation has greatly improved.  And having accurate TIA emulation is most important when developing a new game.

#14 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 680 posts

Posted Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 PM

I notice that you're using Stella 4.7.2.  I suggest upgrading to the latest version (5.0.2), since the TIA emulation has greatly improved.  And having accurate TIA emulation is most important when developing a new game.

thanks, will do.

#15 hloberg OFFLINE  

hloberg

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 680 posts

Posted Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:22 PM

the way I did the refuel tunnel above was, interesting and fun but I felt it wasn't really cannon. this design is more like the refueling tunnel.

attachicon.gifStella 4.7.2_ _NEW-ALT-tunl-A.bas_ 10_22_2017 1_45_02 AM.mp4

you move along the tunnel then jump to the next tunnel. no scroll, but looks right.

added youtube location

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multi-sprite, TI-99, Parsec, scrolling

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users